Sign in to follow this  
plug_nickel

Separate copies of P3D

Has anyone configured P3D for separate or dedicated flight scenarios? Way back when, I had several FSX copies for different configurations: military, general aviation, bush, etc, along with corresponding scenery.

Just thought I'd ask before starting the "trial and error" method.

plug_nickel

Well to update, I now have the following:

1) Prepar3D installation;

2) Working copy of Prepar3D called P3D PFJ RTTM which consists of

Orbx Pacific Fjords, PAKT, CYBD, CZST, Tongass Fjords X and Return to Misty's Moorings.

Getting it to load correctly was completely counter-intuitive; not like setting up copies of FSX and was a "pita".

Now I need to see if I can get OpusFSX demo working with both, but not until I take something for the freaking headache.

plug_nickel

Final input regarding having separate copies of P3D. I don't have FSX installed, so I use the FSX-2-Prepar3D tool for installations and simply keep it activated.

All works well. Currently I have:

P3D Master;

PNW;

PFJ RTTM;

C_NRM;

Oceania

AK_CAN

Military

P3D has now been reduced to only a shell to save hdd space and has been renamed to .bak_stock in order to maintain any .dll files.

All copies are fully functional and the ORBX FTX Central, files, etc, are independant of each other.

I have one Prepar3D.exe to run, one master XML file for ORBX Objectflow, FSUIPC, A2A Accu-Feel, one Prepa3D.cfg file and separate scenery.cfgs.

To run any of the scenarios, I rename that folder to Prepar3D and swap in the correct scenery.cfg file. The load times have been greatly reduced since I'm only enabling one scenario at a time and only the required scenery. All base scenery files not being used have been removed. To update, or add anything, I rename that folder to Prepar3D, enable FSX-2-Prepr3D if required and install.

The whole point of this exercise was to see just how lean an install per scenario I could achieve that could be potentially imaged for use in a future ram drive build. I just hope P3D v2 isn't "code bloated" when it's released and that everything I have will be Dx11 compatible.

plug_nickel