Sign in to follow this  
abax2000

ATI help needed

This is ATI 5850 on 12.8.

It seems that I cannot even get into DX10 properly. I have done all installation and tuning as per instructions, but I don't have any AF at all. Tried all possible combinations (in game and driver) still no AF.

AA seems to work ok with AA checked ingame (at least is there).

Funny thing is that some (long) time ago I have tried DX10, which showed properly, but reverted back to DX9 for the known reasons we all did.

Any help from the ATI-connoisseurs would be greatly appreciated.

There's a number of folks using ATI, so someone will chime in here, but I don't know that I can be much help, abax, however - would you post some screenshots of your CCC, please?

- Also would you put your system's specs into the User Profile, please, so that it pops up under your pic at the left side of this window. Thanks..

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

CCC settings:

AA 4x (Wide-Tent)

AF 8x

Tesselation NO

Catalyst AI High

Mipmap High

VSync Always On

AA mode SS

OpenGL Triple buffering

Not sure if this will help but I have had no problems using Paul's guide and the following settings on my ATI HD 5770 card with driver 12.10.

CCC settings:

AA : Use App Setting checked..

AF: Use App Setting Checked

Tesselation: AMD Optimized

Catalyst AI Quality

Mipmap High-performance

VSync: Off unless app specified

AA mode: MSAA (can use higher)

OpenGL Triple buffering Unchecked

Hope this helps.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you, Carl, Sir! Your settings shall be documented forthwith, and will go down in history!

Question for abax: May be a dumb question, (but I'm and Nvidia chappie, so I have an excuse)...

How do you know that Anisotropic Filtering is not working?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Where is mipmap? I have ATI 6850 and driver 12.10 but I can't find it in my CCC.

Paul,

Thank you for those kind words, I just hope this may benefit some of the folks that may not have a powerful machine but one more like mine, which really can't keep up with the big boys. I think I have tweaked it so much that I can't squeeze any more frames from her unless i just go get an upgrade. I have to thank you guys for all the good information you have provided on this forum that really got me into DX10.

Where is mipmap? I have ATI 6850 and driver 12.10 but I can't find it in my CCC.

You should find it where your AA, AF etc are shown. I think it is called the 3D display but not sure since I am away from the computer. Should be right after the Catalyst AI Quality.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you, Carl, Sir! Your settings shall be documented forthwith, and will go down in history!

Question for abax: May be a dumb question, (but I'm and Nvidia chappie, so I have an excuse)...

How do you know that Anisotropic Filtering is not working?

It is visible, especially in the ground textures. I cannot attach an image file here.

I will try ctiger's recommendation later on and report back (although it seems awkward if you cannot use the driver settings).

You should find it where your AA, AF etc are shown. I think it is called the 3D display but not sure since I am away from the computer. Should be right after the Catalyst AI Quality.

Right after Catalyst AI Quality there is "Enable surface format optimization" that is ticked.

Jewel,

You are close..that is part of the Catalyst AI, which I have the block "unchecked". The next setting below that should be "MipMap Deltail Level" at least on my CCC. Within the MipMap you should be able to move the slider from High Performance to Quality. I have the slider set to High Performance, which helps on the FPS and worked with my computer.

Carl

Jewel,

You are close..that is part of the Catalyst AI, which I have the block "unchecked". The next setting below that should be "MipMap Deltail Level" at least on my CCC. Within the MipMap you should be able to move the slider from High Performance to Quality. I have the slider set to High Performance, which helps on the FPS and worked with my computer.

I'll unchecked it then Carl:) But under this there is only the slider for "wait for vertical refresh". No mipmap for me:(

Well it appears they left it out of your CCC are felt there is no need for that setting. You do have a pretty good computer and a newer ATI card. In your FSX do you have AA and anisotropic filtering checked. It took me days to keep reading the forums looking for potential changes. I tried different settings in CCC and adding/deleting different settings in the fsx.cfg file before I got things to work with decent frames for my computer. There are so many variables you can plaly with that I found most of my time tweaking instead of flying.

Sorry I could not help you

Regards,

Carl

I was using an AMD card a 6950 and when I was on DX-9 ,I was very happy with the performance and my framerates. I decided to switch to DX-10 and for the life of me I could not get that card to perform for me. I tried all of steves tweaks and It just wouldnt respond. I dont have a real powerful PC but its ok. I was so frustrated with my computer I wanted to teach it how to swim. I do believe PC's do have different traits. I hope you get yours lined out. As for mine I through in the hat and went nvidia and with the help of all of the fine folks here I have a very sweet flight sim.

This gets my vote for the "Best Line on Avsim Forums 2012":

I was so frustrated with my computer I wanted to teach it how to swim.

:LMAO: :LMAO:

You could be my twin brother Jamie - I swapped out a five-month-old 5870 for an Nvidia GTX580 and haven't looked back!

Thanks PJ, Thats quite a complementim%20Not%20Worthy.gif . That is truly how I felt, and the pool is 20ft from my office. I didnt get a 580 but I got me a well used and broke in gtx560TI. Paul, what me keep on trying was all you guys/gals cant forget the ladies, showing the flightsim community how wonderful DX-10 is and how easy it could be achieved. I Thank all of you Great folks for this. Keep up the great work. I hope someday to be able to give back in the same ways. Thanks Again