Sign in to follow this  
abax2000

ATI help needed

PJ, I dont want you to bust a kidney when you look @ my pc specs, and think I am kidding, cause DX-10 saved this pc from the scrap yard.He%20He.gif

Well it appears they left it out of your CCC are felt there is no need for that setting. You do have a pretty good computer and a newer ATI card. In your FSX do you have AA and anisotropic filtering checked. It took me days to keep reading the forums looking for potential changes. I tried different settings in CCC and adding/deleting different settings in the fsx.cfg file before I got things to work with decent frames for my computer. There are so many variables you can plaly with that I found most of my time tweaking instead of flying.

Sorry I could not help you

Regards,

It's OK Carl and thanks for your time. I don't have an issue with my card. It's just that now with DX10 I search for a better filter setting.

You could be my twin brother Jamie - I swapped out a five-month-old 5870 for an Nvidia GTX580 and haven't looked back!

Paul the difference that you saw between nvidia and ati in DX10 mode is about better frames and better game flow or about better AA filters?

No luck yet.

I tried cTiger's settings; I have AA but no AF. Ground textures are full of "blinking" black spots, and the sun reflection on the sea after some distance also shimmers.

Is there any post that collects ATI settings?

I see that SteveJP also wrote a pdf regarding ATI AA settings. What is his input on AF? Do we have to have both AF and AA on "Use Application Settings"?

Disregard the point about AF. It is rather very poor AA, as described in previous note.

So the question is, how do we get a decent AA? I tried "MultiSamplesPerPixel=8" but no difference. I suppose that if driver settings must be on "Use Application Settings", all is left to play with is fsx.cfg entries.

No luck yet.

I tried cTiger's settings; I have AA but no AF. Ground textures are full of "blinking" black spots, and the sun reflection on the sea after some distance also shimmers.

Is there any post that collects ATI settings?

I see that SteveJP also wrote a pdf regarding ATI AA settings. What is his input on AF? Do we have to have both AF and AA on "Use Application Settings"?

Hi Abax,

I do get occasional black squares showing up. I think I read somewhere on the DX10 forum it could be due to overtaxed vidoe card or processor. I know if I move my slidders to the left especially autogen and scenery detail the black squares are reduced.

By the way you mentioned you have read Steve's pdf. so I assmue you have gone to his site

http://stevesfsxanal....wordpress.com/

There are several lenghly discussioins about AA on this forum a few weeks ago. Could check those.

I also agree the Nivida cards are better for FSX. I have always used them until I bought my recent computer (2 years ago) which came with the ATI card. So I am way out of date and due for a new computer if my boss of over 40 years will allow it. (LOL)

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ground textures are full of "blinking" black spots

Same here but as Carl wrote if I move the sliders to the left the black squares reduced but not disappeared.

it is not black squares.

it is tiny black dots that shimmer during planning (as the sun reflection on the water)

is there anybody around with a 5850/70 who tried dx10?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

it is not black squares.

it is tiny black dots that shimmer during planning (as the sun reflection on the water)

is there anybody around with a 5850/70 who tried dx10?

I have a 6850 and shimmering is everywhere with DX10 less or more.It's not a GPU issue but FSX.

Well... the ATI 5850 is not the hottest card around, for sure - I would suppose it's the equivalent of a straight 560, or maybe a 470..

@jewel - yeah, better frames, smoother flow - and much clearer fsx textures. AF is certainly better. Nvidia have pretty much captured the market for the FSX users.

Shimmering is quite controllable in FSX when using an Nvidia card.

@abax Anyway - those black shimmering dots can be fixed by dropping the water setting one notch. I think Jim had this before, and I certainly have. <_<

Using DX9, you'll find that if BufferPools=0, one will often get "ground flashing"... the answer to this is to put Water to High 2.x, and the flashing will be gone - BUT High 2.x causes that 'black dots shimmering' problem - and really noticeable around the Seattle - Orbx PNW area. Unfortunately, in DX10, BP is better when setup with a Reject Threshold and it also allows higher settings for lots of things, like clouds, traffic - and water.. so - if the water is still set to High 2.x (6 in the fsx.cfg) drop it down to Med. 2.x - and the dots will be gone. OK!

Good post and questions, but it causes lots of other posts when there's no fsx.cfg as a reference to see what your settings are! Sooo - in the future - just take a minute and copy the cfg file as fsx.txt and then attach it to you new post. :wink:

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

water at 2low

i will post the cfg as soon as on the ground

I have a 6850 and shimmering is everywhere with DX10 less or more.It's not a GPU issue but FSX.

so no dx10 for us?

Ok guys don't give up..I do remember awhile back I did have some shimmering. I think these are the settings that was used to get rid of shimnering;

Settings in CCC (your CCC may be different)

AA Use application setting

Unticked Morphological Filtering

level: 4X, Filter Type: Box

AF: Use application settings

Tessellaton ticked AMD Optimized (also try used applicaton settings)

Catalyst AI Texture Filtering Quality set at "Quality"

Surface Format Optimization unticked

Mipmap Detail Level: Performance (you may not have this one)

Wait for Vertical Refresh: ON, unless application specifies.

Anti-Aliasing Mode: change from MSAA to SSAA

OpenGL Settings: Untick Triple buffering

If you haven't tried SSAA give it a try since it is a powerful tool for AA but for me reduces my fps.

Give it a try...

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

ssaa used all along (see driver settings at thread start)

ssaa used all along (see driver settings at thread start)

Woe is me....those senior moments increase with age.

Carl