Sign in to follow this  
William J.S.S

I PAID OVER $40 FOR THIS!?!?!?!

I just looked in the library and there are only two HDE files listed, version 1.0 and 2.0. Where would one find the converted file you refer to?

Look here, first and second file:

http://simviation.co...1&keywords=hde

I am using FEX water and clouds with HDEV2 Sky, cloud coverage set to 9 in the FSX.cfg. Using the NGX mostly, no OOM's at all. Could it just be the REX textures ? One of the reasons I decided to abandon REX, as it was too over the top. Excuse the pun.

Have you tried a completely different cloud set ? I am using Kostas tweaks, so that could be the big difference

After all the talk about the HDEV2 files here in this thread, I am curious to see if they make a difference. I like REX, but I only use one set of clouds/sky textures, and I think it may be time for a change. And yes, I remember when REX first came out, I thought the photorealistic clouds were a little too perfect, too sharp and crisp, and I prefer a more rounded wispy look, and it turns out 512 lower res clouds, as opposed to the super sharp REX clouds, looked more real to me.

I flew out of kphl yesterday. No memory errors. I posted a link to an OOM fix - its a reg file officially brought out by Microsoft. I believe Word Not Allowed also linked to it on his blog. Hopefully this helps you out with memory issues.

I've been trying out the OPUS demo on and off this past weekend, and I have run into two situations where FSX runs out of memory and I have to quit.

Yesterday, I flew a saved flight which was an approach to KBOS, which lasted about 20 minutes. Right about 1000 feet and a mile out from the runway threshold, I hear some ominous beeps in the background, spaced out over a few seconds. I remember getting this aural warning years ago with an older system when I was about to run out of memory, but I thought no way, it's been years since I had this and I was on a 32 bit OS with 2 gigs RAM, not the 64bit Win7 and 6 gigs RAM I7 system I have now. Back then, if I switched out of FSX to go to the desktop, I would find a dialog box asking me to shutdown FSX becuase I ran out of memory, so I instead tried to ignore the beeps, and lucky for me, I was able to arrive at the gates and properly shutdown. I exited FSX as normal, and apparently there was no warning box to speak off. Phew!

Today, however, I flew a short circuit around KPHL, with OPUS providing the weather with the approach of Hurricane Sandy as I was testing to see how the overcast conditions would be depicted. Skies were as overcast from horizon to horizon, just as advertised, but there may be a price for that cloud coverage: the background beeps returned in full force during finals, and no sooner than after I retract the speedbrakes after a successful landing, the dreaded dialog box from hell pops up in a rather rude fashion:

I am going to attribute this OOM to the density of cloud coverage, but I was curious if anyone else has run into this situation. My fsx.cfg has cloud coverage density at 8, which I believe is the default value, and REX clouds are at only 512x512 pixels. I only fly the PMDG NGX. And sliders are at medium high, and the fsx.cfg has been tuned by Bojote's cfg tool website. I fear that this new found realistic overcast cloud coverage can wreak havoc with systems as the clouds eat up tons of memory, even though I feel I have a nicely optimized system, one that I have not had to tweak or fix any issue whatsoever for about 2 years, so it saddens me to see these OOM CTDs appear.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

After all the talk about the HDEV2 files here in this thread, I am curious to see if they make a difference.

Pablo's textures are superb,and the sky textures provide a lovely and realistic ambience.

Try them out (link above)

DD.jpg

Hi NGXfanatic

What do you have your cloud draw distance set to. As you probably know that has quite an impact on FSX performance, but it sounds more like it is the scenery on the landing phase of flight which FSX is struggling with.

Regards

Cheryl

I've been trying out the OPUS demo on and off this past weekend, and I have run into two situations where FSX runs out of memory and I have to quit.

Yesterday, I flew a saved flight which was an approach to KBOS, which lasted about 20 minutes. Right about 1000 feet and a mile out from the runway threshold, I hear some ominous beeps in the background, spaced out over a few seconds. I remember getting this aural warning years ago with an older system when I was about to run out of memory, but I thought no way, it's been years since I had this and I was on a 32 bit OS with 2 gigs RAM, not the 64bit Win7 and 6 gigs RAM I7 system I have now. Back then, if I switched out of FSX to go to the desktop, I would find a dialog box asking me to shutdown FSX becuase I ran out of memory, so I instead tried to ignore the beeps, and lucky for me, I was able to arrive at the gates and properly shutdown. I exited FSX as normal, and apparently there was no warning box to speak off. Phew!

Today, however, I flew a short circuit around KPHL, with OPUS providing the weather with the approach of Hurricane Sandy as I was testing to see how the overcast conditions would be depicted. Skies were as overcast from horizon to horizon, just as advertised, but there may be a price for that cloud coverage: the background beeps returned in full force during finals, and no sooner than after I retract the speedbrakes after a successful landing, the dreaded dialog box from hell pops up in a rather rude fashion:

I am going to attribute this OOM to the density of cloud coverage, but I was curious if anyone else has run into this situation. My fsx.cfg has cloud coverage density at 8, which I believe is the default value, and REX clouds are at only 512x512 pixels. I only fly the PMDG NGX. And sliders are at medium high, and the fsx.cfg has been tuned by Bojote's cfg tool website. I fear that this new found realistic overcast cloud coverage can wreak havoc with systems as the clouds eat up tons of memory, even though I feel I have a nicely optimized system, one that I have not had to tweak or fix any issue whatsoever for about 2 years, so it saddens me to see these OOM CTDs appear.

I dont think OOM actually has anyting to do with using Opus. If I were you I would take the job with renaming your fsx.cfg, start fresh and follow Kostas tweaks. I did with my system and it made a big difference from Bojote.

I am running 2048 textures from REXE.

23.png

Hi 777fan

We haven't implemented the client side weather server option yet but it all works fine, if you have a networked system then you can use Live Weather, Live Camera and of course Live View over the network. Using the weather engine on the server has little or no impact on FSX. We will be providing the client side weather engine option for the purpose of interfacing to other future OpusFSX features or third party packages.

Regards

Cheryl

Hi NGXfanatic

What do you have your cloud draw distance set to. As you probably know that has quite an impact on FSX performance, but it sounds more like it is the scenery on the landing phase of flight which FSX is struggling with.

Regards

Cheryl

I have cloud draw set to 3 in the cfg. Looking back at my comments, I want to be clear that I'm not blaming Opus in anyway. It looks like the combination of an increase in the cloud draw distance and more complete rendition of cloud cover in overcast conditions is throwing my previously stable FSX setup over the edge under certain circumstances. I am a little perplexed, because I used the lowest setting of cloud quality in REX (DXT5 512) and thought I had lots of headroom for extra cloud coverage. I guess I was wrong, I may have to play around with other graphic detail settings to find a compromise.

No problem, I was just curious, we normally recommend a cloud draw distance of 80 miles for normal VFR flying and more if you are a high flyer.

Cheryl

I posted a question quite a way further back in this thread and I don't recall any response to it. If it's there I'm sorry, I've managed to miss it.

This has been a very active and at some points very fast paced thread so I'm assuming my question got lost in the shuffle. Or, given some of the banter about Active Sky verses Opus someone may have written off my post as just another troll / trouble making attempt. I assure you that's not the case.

I've been using Active Sky for some time now, presently AS2012. It works ok, and was certainly a quantum leap up from the default FSX weather system. But, it has a few frustrating behaviours that detract from the experience quite a bit. I've heard from multiple others that I fly online with that the AS weather engine is better than the REX weather engine so I won't go that route to seek improvements.

But now I'm seeing all this traffic about Opus. And, the vast majority of the feedback is very positive. However, I saw a few statements made about Opus capabilities that I found confusing because I thought I was already getting that functionality from AS. Given that, here's my question/request: Could someone provide a brief description of the differences between AS and Opus? Before I go through the effort of switching an add on and the associated tweaks and tuning that seem to go with each such effort I'd like to understand what I might gain in comparison.

Thanks!

Tom G.

Tom, I saw your post earlier but didn't comment. Since then I've seen some videos using OpusFSX and some good comparison pics, and have studied the documentation for Opus.

Due to limitations in the FSX weather engine, cloud depiction looks to be fairly similar between the two programs. You can get a very similar effect in AS2012 by selecting DWC with Prevent Cloud Redraws unchecked, setting weather updates to 30 minutes rather than the default 10 in AS2012, and setting cloud draw distance to 80 nm for GA flights and 100 nm for high level airliner flights. If you've spent any time flying with AS2012, I don't have to tell you what this experience will be like.

AS2012 does not require FSUIPC, while OpusFSX does. OpusFSX includes camera functions which are intended to replace EZDOK if you have that. I'm guessing that AccuFeel does not work with OpusFSX for the same reason EZDOK doesn't. If you have TrackIR, it has to be run through OpusFSX instead of through FSX, and precision is required to be on to prevent jerkiness. Due to the amount of data that OpusFSX requests from FSX, you may have to reduce your locked frame rate to 25 to prevent stuttering, which is not an issue with AS2012.

I'd hope OpusFSX has better METAR smoothing functions than AS2012, which can be problematic, and are probably the reason you're looking at OpusFSX now. One possible alternative weather program, which I haven't researched yet, it the freeware FSrealWX.

OpusFSX does not include any textures, but most people have already found some they prefer, and if you haven't there is are freeware cloud textures available which many people like a lot. OpusFSX does not have a weather map or flight planning functions, which AS2012 does.

You could try the demo, but it only runs for 10 minutes and only updates weather while you're on the ground, so you don't see the effect of injecting new METAR information while you're flying. Given that you can only update the weather after 5 minutes minimum, you can only see one METAR weather change in the demo until you wait 2 minutes to run it again.

I hope others can comment on the smoothing of barometric pressure, wind speed and direction, and temperature during a low level flight. Apparently OpusFSX has solved the wind problems at altitude. I'd also be interested in hearing people's experience with AS2012's Smooth Cloud Transitions with FSUIPC smoothing the parameters mentioned above, which AS2012 only handles properly with DWC.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

AS2012 does not require FSUIPC, while OpusFSX does. OpusFSX includes camera functions which are intended to replace EZDOK if you have that. I'm guessing that AccuFeel does not work with OpusFSX for the same reason EZDOK doesn't. If you have TrackIR, it has to be run through OpusFSX instead of through FSX, and precision is required to be on to prevent jerkiness. Due to the amount of data that OpusFSX requests from FSX, you may have to reduce your locked frame rate to 25 to prevent stuttering, which is not an issue with AS2012.

The FSUIPC is the free version that is required. But true, it is required.

You also don't have to run TrackIR through OPUS, but you do if you want the DHM. If you are using it for pure weather uses, just install the program, and forget about checking the box that says TrackIR in the config manager.

I have not had an issue with FPS, but again, this is just on my system and me. I have had my frames locked at 30FPS for as long as I can remember, and have not touched them.

Thanks, William. Are you using TrackIR, and if so are you also using DHM?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;