Sign in to follow this  
SeanBH

Best ATC Program to Use with PMDG 737NGX and FS2Crew?

Hi all. OK...Been flying the 737NGX for about a month (what a rig...no more default aircraft!), use the FS2Crew 737NGX Voice Control (way too cool), got a Turtle Beach Px3 headset and TrackIR5, and now it's time to ditch (pardon the pun) FSX's ATC. What plays nice with my setup? Got plenty of 'puter- just want something that's not going to compromise it. I would like to have something voice controlled, but don't know how that will effect FS2Crew. Oh, and I don't want to have to startup boo-koo programs before FSX- something that gets recognized when FSX starts up (unlike my current RC4.3). Too much to ask?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

All of the ATC programs out there are going to be a step up from FSX's ATC, but compared to the instructions you're actually going to get in a real world environment, they can be pretty far off the mark.

As an example, I guarantee one of those programs will give you "Reduce speed to 250 knots by 20 DME of [the airport]." A controller would very rarely issue that command (at least here in the USA). Those commands would be issued as part of the STAR, using a fix on your route (mostly to make things easy on both the pilot and controller): "Cross DOCCS at 11,000 and 250 knots." Nice and easy to throw that into the automagic.

That said, none of the programs are stellar. The best you're going to get is on VATSIM or IVAO.

Kyle Rodgers

Sean

For my limited contribution - I pretty much don't bother with FSx ATC as we all know it is pants. Did give VOX ATC a go which I know many are supportive of, but for me this programme is very old (like the rest) and just does not cut the mustard (even though I get the impression many find it the best of the bunch).

I have not been brave enough (yet) to venture into the 'RW' of VATSIM or IVAO but I reckon they are by far the best options in terms of realism.

And for the record, I totally agree on your comments re default aircraft/NGX and the joys of FS2Crew.

I have not been brave enough (yet) to venture into the 'RW' of VATSIM or IVAO but I reckon they are by far the best options in terms of realism.

Once you jump in, you'll definitely see there really wasn't much to worry about. Just jump on when it's not hugely busy, or if it is, go to a field that doesn't have a lot of traffic. Controllers who aren't busy are more able to help you get started.

To see how busy it is, www.vattastic.com is a graphical interface. www.metacraft.com/vatspy is an installed program that does just about the same, but it's a little more powerful.

Kyle Rodgers

Welcome to the forum.

All of the ATC programs out there are going to be a step up from FSX's ATC, but compared to the instructions you're actually going to get in a real world environment, they can be pretty far off the mark.

As an example, I guarantee one of those programs will give you "Reduce speed to 250 knots by 20 DME of [the airport]." A controller would very rarely issue that command (at least here in the USA). Those commands would be issued as part of the STAR, using a fix on your route (mostly to make things easy on both the pilot and controller): "Cross DOCCS at 11,000 and 250 knots." Nice and easy to throw that into the automagic.

That said, none of the programs are stellar. The best you're going to get is on VATSIM or IVAO.

That's because you haven't reduced speed when you should have! If you observe the set airspace speed restrictions then you won't get that messsage!

Thanks for the links Kyle - have VATspy already and now liking VATtastic.

Sorry for hijacking your topic Sean. Back on topic we go...

As far as installed alternatives, I would say Radar Contact is probably what you're looking at. It is a fine program, but it's pretty inaccurate, just as Kyle says. To (re)reiterate, VATSIM or IVAO is your best bet, and it hardly takes up any space! I'm partial to VATSIM because I'm a controller for the Seattle ARTCC, and the controllers to staff SeaTac (KSEA) are a great bunch. If it isn't busy, that's a great field to sign on and ask questions.

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

That's because you haven't reduced speed when you should have! If you observe the set airspace speed restrictions then you won't get that messsage!

We really don't have DME-based speed restrictions on fields like that (at least at any fields the people on here would fly into). ATC should still state "cross [fix] at [altitude] and [speed]." If someone was not following airspace speed restrictions, you wouldn't hear that type of message that those programs are issuing. While it's a valid instruction, you nearly never hear it (at least Stateside).

Kyle Rodgers

Sean

For my limited contribution - I pretty much don't bother with FSx ATC as we all know it is pants. Did give VOX ATC a go which I know many are supportive of, but for me this programme is very old (like the rest) and just does not cut the mustard (even though I get the impression many find it the best of the bunch).

And for the record, I totally agree on your comments re default aircraft/NGX and the joys of FS2Crew.

I'm in the same boat....my flights aren't as procedural as one ground controller might like. I might get more online whippings that a french prostitute. :huh: So far, what I've read, taz, is that VOX seems to be the front runner also. I've had RC 4.3 for quite some time now, and before my last system build, it worked OK, but now I'm having problems getting it work, and I keep forgetting to turn it on before launching into FSX. I'd like something like GSX that just loads automatically. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Thanks!

Their is a new kid on the block called Pro ATC X from Point Software. It's still in its infancy but it is now assigning SIDS and STARS at airports. And also will give taxi instructions. I've givin up on waiting for RC5 but I've use RC4 extensively. But this new ATC programe shows promis plus it's still being developed which is great.

Their is a new kid on the block called Pro ATC X from Point Software. It's still in its infancy but it is now assigning SIDS and STARS at airports. And also will give taxi instructions. I've givin up on waiting for RC5 but I've use RC4 extensively. But this new ATC programe shows promis plus it's still being developed which is great.

PFE has been doing just that for ages!

And by the way get rid of your computer specs in your signature. They have to be in your profile

Their is a new kid on the block called Pro ATC X from Point Software. It's still in its infancy

Yes. also called alpha or beta testing stage of development.

Just my two cents......... VATSIM / IVAO is definately the best for ATC as it is real time and typically very procedurally correct and extremely fun to participate in. The only problem I have with it is that (for me at least) 95% of the time a controller is not online for where my flight is going so then there is no ATC at all. If there is a controller online, 50% of the time by the time I get close to my destination where the controller is he logs off, then no ATC at all.

( I fly within the US. Not sure how well Europe is typically staffed. )

Eric Wehrley

Just my two cents......... VATSIM / IVAO is definately the best for ATC as it is real time and typically very procedurally correct and extremely fun to participate in. The only problem I have with it is that (for me at least) 95% of the time a controller is not online for where my flight is going so then there is no ATC at all. If there is a controller online, 50% of the time by the time I get close to my destination where the controller is he logs off, then no ATC at all.

( I fly within the US. Not sure how well Europe is typically staffed. )

Eric Wehrley

Which is why Vatsim/IVAO is "not" the best ATC!!!!