Sign in to follow this  
ads2006

PMDG 737NGX with Windows 8

Dear friends,

Any colleague in this forum tested our wonderful PMDG 737NGX with the new Windows 8 plataform ?

Any feedback is welcome because I am really curious as Microsoft completely changed their system to be more friendly with portable devices so I have no idea how it affect desktops and notebooks.

Other 2 points : how about sound and video drivers compatibility nowadays ? How about PMDG license ? Will it get lost when upgrading to the new system ?

Regards,

Adenilson

Windows 8 is fully backwards compatible with all of the FSX related stuff. NGX works fine in the new environment...

Ben,

I appreciated your answer. Thank you. If any other friends would like to share something please do it.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Adenilson

Considering my dinosaur of a computer (running Windows XP w/ 2GB RAM... crazy) maybe I should upgrade to Win8 instead of Win7. Not sure yet, I'm considering purchasing extra RAM too.

Friends,

In this exactly moment I am upgrading to Windows 8 Pro with the option to maintain current settings and docs (not clean install) because I want to maintain FSX SP2 and PMDG SP1c licenses.

My notebook is a Samsung RF511-SD3 Intel Core i7 with 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, video card GeForce with 2 GB dedicated memory, blue-ray drive and 15.6 inch led display.

I will post results as soon as it finished.

Adenilson

Dear friends,

Just finished the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. It was fast without any issues. FSX and PMDG seems to be working fine and maintained all settings I left before the upgrade.

FPS before locked at 40 now is fluctuating between 30 to 35 but it is good enough. Outside view of land, sea and skies seems to be better to me.

On end of November 2012 Samsung is promising to release personalized upgrades to all my notebook hardware for Windows 8. However when installing Windows 8 it recognized all my hardware and installed succesfully the drivers.

Regards,

Adenilson

FPS before locked at 40 now is fluctuating between 30 to 35 but it is good enough.

Aaaaaaaargh!! I thought there would be an improvement!

James Goggi

Possibly a clean install will give different results.

I've yet to reinstall FSX and install PMDG

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Jude,

If you get better in terms of graphics improvement after your clean install please let me know so I will go to the same way. I performed the easiest way because I would not like to install everything again (it would take several and several hours because I have MS Office, DVD burning programs, etc...).

Regards,

Adenilson

I did a completely fresh install of FSX/Accelerator AND 737NGX. FSX works fine until I install NGX. Program crashes every time I end flight or close program. Also, the "countdown" doesn't work nor does the 2D panel. I've tried to reinstall several times with same results. I do have SP1c installed. When I removed NGX, FSX works fine. Never had problems before I moved to Windows 8.

I did a completely fresh install of FSX/Accelerator AND 737NGX. FSX works fine until I install NGX. Program crashes every time I end flight or close program. Also, the "countdown" doesn't work nor does the 2D panel. I've tried to reinstall several times with same results. I do have SP1c installed. When I removed NGX, FSX works fine. Never had problems before I moved to Windows 8.

Have you tried using the uiautomationcore.dll fix? And welcome to Windows 8! The best OS ever! [/sarcasm]

Jgoggi,

I made some changes with Nvidia Inspector and now FSX is locked again in 40 FPS. It was not necessary to make a clean install of Windows 8.

I took advantage and also made some changes moving to 16xQ CSAA and I have used Inspector to lock frame rate to 30 FPS. Now I am quite satisfied as images are much better in terms of quality (especially in 3D). Thanks to Ryan Maziarz tips in General Forum.

Adenilson

I spent the whole weekend going back to Windows 7 as it would not play nicely with Prepar3d

Other than FSX was about the same as Windows 8.

One major issue was that the Saitek controllers would dissapear randomly esp. if I loaded a new flight.

When I set to Windows 7 compatibility mode it seems to have resolved this issue.

FPS was about the same so no real advantage to using it compared to 7

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro here (not a clean install) with FSX Acceleration, UTX, GEX, AS2012, PMDG 737NGX, and FS2Crew and I haven't had any issues. Everything seems to run just the same as it did under Windows 7, really.

mixed feelings after reading all this... need a poll done up. im stuck here now. just got my i5 3570k in the mail for my new pc. not sure if i want to chance windows 8...ahhh you only live once i'll do it. who cares, the planet is going to blow up in a month or so anyways :)