Sign in to follow this  
paul123

What can you achieve on your PC with FSX ?

With processors now achieving 5 GHz and monster GPU's keep being updated, as anyone able to achieve 30 FPS with a complex airplane like the PMDG at a complex airport at night with 30% ai or are we still some way of this yet ?

At Aerosoft EHAM (really heavy), it's easily possible at the runways, but near the terminals FPS drops to 25. With the VSync fix this causes microstuttering. If I could achieve 30 FPS in all occasions with my current add-ons, I would be 100% satisfied. I hope a Haswell upgrade in the future will give me just that bit extra.

Interesting thread.

I run an x79 3930k with 32gb of RAM with SLI'd EVGA GTX 680 FTW LE 4gb cards. The CPU is at 4.7 GHz and the GPUs are at their factory clocks.

At FSDT KFLL with the PMDG NGX and all sliders maxed I am seeing about 20 fps at the stand (B6). Once I get to the runway it goes to 30fps and does an occasional dip. Takeoff roll was up and down. In "the soup" at 15,000 feet I saw solid 30 fps stutter-free. All on REX 2.0 OD textures still. Waiting for REXE OD.

Going into FLYTampa KTPA on an ILS the same flight I saw it dip to 8-9 fps. Wondering about that but that is on an untouched config file without a lot of messing with card settings.

My rig isn't the most high end but I'm not sure what else I can add to improve this.

Dan

I expect the complex airports to keep outpacing the hardware.

We love all the detail, and the developers deliver it to us!

With a quality system, we can all have a smooth running FSX simulation,

as long as we are willing to compromise on the level of detail that we enable in FSX.

As an example, I turn off all freeway traffic, and all exit doors on AI airplanes.. that helps.

I do not install an add-on airport that brings my rig to it's knees... etc.

Everyone's trade-offs are different, but based on 25 years of flight simming, I predict that

no amount of hardware will ever get us ahead of the add-on vendors' abiility to add features.. B)

Bert

I hope a Haswell upgrade in the future will give me just that bit extra.

If it hits 4.8 on air, it WILL give us that extra performance we are looking for. Haswell + 2600/2800MHZ RAM + GTX 780 = FSX MONSTER :lol:

If it hits 4.8 on air, it WILL give us that extra performance we are looking for. Haswell + 2600/2800MHZ RAM + GTX 780 = FSX MONSTER :lol:

I think Bert's right Ben. By the time you get to 4.8 on air, and 5.2 on water or what have you, your going to get another whopping 15% increase in 'performance', and that will be gobbled up quickly by increased detail and higher settings the user is tempted to use in the simulator. If you really want to see a game changer you are going to need a minimum of 25% increased performance on up, and I don't think you're going to see this with Haswell at 5.2. I'll see a 25% increase though since I'm running a Q9650 still at 3.8Ghz. Now, if I could just figure out what to do w/ my old PC...

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Haswell + 2600/2800MHZ RAM + GTX 780 = FSX MONSTER

Didn't we think the same about Ivy + 680 + 2133? Yes, but it didn't give us THAT much extra. I'm convinced Haswell will give us a good performance increase if it's a good overclocker, but a GTX 780, nah, isn't gonna change much. Difference between GTX 480 and GTX 680 in FSX is almost nothing anyway, in terms of that we have pretty much hit a wall. And memory, does do SOMETHING, but very little, maybe 2 FPS to be gained there. The new CPUs is what we should look forward to, because it's the only thing that might increase the performance.

your going to get another whopping 15% increase in 'performance',

What are you talking about...?

Haswell is going to be at least 20% faster clock for clock than SB....

Difference between GTX 480 and GTX 680 in FSX is almost nothing anyway, in terms of that we have pretty much hit a wall.

False... Go look at FSMark11 and GPUMark.

That would be great then. :Big Grin: And considering I only have an i5 (and the extra cache of i7 DOES help a BIT), it should be a very good upgrade. Only money is an issue. As a 17 year old I can't find jobs, because there simply are no jobs. LOL

False... Go look at FSMark11 and GPUMark.

Maybe with very high AA. But many people don't see that difference anyway. And according to many people there is very little difference between both when running low-medium AA. When you're using Inspector with SGSS that's where the GTX 680 will shine.

What are you talking about...?

I was talking about 10% over IB + a wee bit more for the 'whoopeddeedo' 5-7% more in performance coming from 5-7% better over clocking, for a grand total of 15-17% over IB cooled well. No, I don't believe in the magical 'go from 4.5 to 4.8Ghz and wow, all of a sudden I have 15% increase in frame rate' argument as it doesn't add up I'm afraid.

Yes, I guess you Ben are on IB so I stand corrected, you could see 20% increase, add a few more Mhz on top for better overclocking and perhaps it's worth it for you to make the jump. I will still maintain, w/ your bumped performance you will have situations in FSX where you will need to be mindful to dial back something to get the performance you hope to see, which is why I bow to Bert's comments. It's inevitable because the game's built in controls + incoming new higher detail addons will always provide more processing burden than your machine will be able to handle. And that, is a good thing ultimately--I mean that the game has almost no limits in this regard as it can then scale forward and can remain therefore relevant until such time that we have quantum jumps in machine performance.

Since I'm lumbering along on a Core 2 Quad w/ a GTX 280 I should see some very meaningful performance increase, and do look forward to that ;o)

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I was talking about 10% over IB + a wee bit more for the 'whoopeddeedo' 5-7% more in performance coming from 5-7% better over clocking, for a grand total of 15-17% over IB cooled well. No, I don't believe in the magical 'go from 4.5 to 4.8Ghz and wow, all of a sudden I have 15% increase in frame rate' argument as it doesn't add up I'm afraid.

I Hope your right, time will tell

I gone upgrade to Haswell for sure, after some calulations from above i think a have a normalclocked Haswell performance today 15-17% more would be nice

for 5750x1080 but you dont do it with 7680x1400

Hasse

Hello Hasse

Can you achieve 30 FPS at night at a complex airport with the PDMG 737 and 30% ai ? You have the highest over clock I have seen. This would be my perfect scenario .........

'But in the gaming laptop market we could see Intel Haswell making some serious in-roads into that area." PC WORLD

All I read about this Haswell is how well it will work in Tablets and Notebooks with its lower power consumption and integrated graphics? Woopdy doo