Sign in to follow this  
BimmerCop

Dammit! =( I should've gone with an A320 instead

Now that I have been looking at some cockpit photos of an Airbus 320's flightdeck, I think I should've done one of those instead of a B737NG! The cockpit looks so CLEAN and EASIER to build for these reasons:

1. The MIP is much cleaner, less cluttered.

2. Uses joysticks instead of yokes! Much cheaper to implement and EASIER, since you don't need to worry about bulky and EXPENSIVE yokes if you are shooting for realism and functionality (dual linked).

3. Since there are no yokes, you end up with a clear view of the MIP and even have something to place a keyboard or whatever you want.

4. The throttle assembly and center console is also so clean and less complicated. The NG throttle, even though it looks beautiful, it's just so complicated with so many moving parts. The A320's looks so easier to make.

5. MIP panels are available from Opencockpits and other suppliers.

6. A320 avionics are also available.

Honestly, I am really looking into switching from a NG cockpit to an A320 one. Here is a pic of where my NG project currently stands and I ask you guys to help me decide if I should make the change.

NG_cockpit.jpg

BTW, this is not the place where my sim will reside. I have almost finished off a 16' x 12' section of my attic for this purpose and that's where my sim will rest. ;-)

Decisions!!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

stay with it looks good !

i'll post a pic of mine once it looks somewhat like a cockpit vs an ugly gray bookshelf with holes :-)

getting there slowly...

i really wanted a 767 but so few premanufacture parts are avaiable so i just decided with 737 same thing 2 engine :-)

and c'mon

you fly an airbus with a joystick... that you hold in left hand !?!? as a captain... lol Boeing all the way!

btw i dont think that a yoke will obstruck your view of instruments i had this worry, but i kind measured and tested and if you stick with as close as you can 1:1 scale you be ok... mine is not in the way and i use the saitek pro... cant afford the real thing... already spent $2000 on little parts and nothing to show for yet....

Andy

Why not do both? If the cost is under $5000 a piece and you have the room then why not.... unless of course you are planning on an expensive toy when you reach midlife crisis stage.

Hi Efrain

As a panel builder/supplier I can tell you that I've been around this hobby and business for long enough to say with authority, build what you WANT to build/fly. Almost certainly easier to build the Airbus but unless you want an Airbus (or it grows on you significantly) you will always wish you had the Boeing. Nothing worse that flying one sim wishing it was another. I was a die-hard 737NG wannabe sim builder years ago until I got the corporate aircraft bug once I realized how much more affordable a corporate jet would be over an airliner ( so in this case it worked out that I changed plans).

Here's what came out of the change:

http://www.flightlev...id=77&Itemid=74

Nice sim shots. Now can I PLEASE have my seats back?? :LMAO:

My 2 cents. A320 would be slightly more versatile with cockpit commonality.

What flight sim / software model?

FSlabs' A320 and potentially the larger Airbuses if they chose to expand the A3XX Master Series.

I had the same thoughts as you after I started my NG cockpit. I bought the NG MIP's, knobs, and switches from Flightdeck Solutions, then after weighing all that was really going to have to go into getting it where I wanted it, decided to do an A320 instead. So I bought a complete set of A320 panels from Flightdeck solutions and a pair of sidesticks (unfinished)

Well not too long after the A320 kit arrived I was commissioned to build a commercial flight simulation facility in Anaheim, CA. After working down there 14 hours a day the last thing I wanted to do when I got home or even on the weekend was build another cockpit. After it was finished I'd had enough of constructing cockpits for a while.

Fast forward to today. I'm still sitting on both a new set of Flightdeck Solutions 737NG and A320 panels, but have since burned out on airline style simulation. I continue to hold on to them thinking someday the interest may rekindle, but now am looking hard at the Emuteq G1000 desktop panels, and am thinking it may be time to part with the Flightdeck Soultion parts.

Either way you go the support and products available today are much more abundant than back when I was starting. If the NG throttle quadrants, yokes, and pedals that are available today were available back then I may have stuck with the NG. If you have the money and space I say go for both :D

stay with it looks good !

i'll post a pic of mine once it looks somewhat like a cockpit vs an ugly gray bookshelf with holes :-)

getting there slowly...

i really wanted a 767 but so few premanufacture parts are avaiable so i just decided with 737 same thing 2 engine :-)

and c'mon

you fly an airbus with a joystick... that you hold in left hand !?!? as a captain... lol Boeing all the way!

btw i dont think that a yoke will obstruck your view of instruments i had this worry, but i kind measured and tested and if you stick with as close as you can 1:1 scale you be ok... mine is not in the way and i use the saitek pro... cant afford the real thing... already spent $2000 on little parts and nothing to show for yet....

Andy

I also am using the Saitek yoke and even though the view is not obstructed much (I also am building the sim as a 1:1 replica), I just think the Saitek's huge case is an eye sore.

What software are you going to use?

FSX DX10 and Sim-Avionics

Why not do both? If the cost is under $5000 a piece and you have the room then why not.... unless of course you are planning on an expensive toy when you reach midlife crisis stage.

I wish I had that kind of money and space.

Hi Efrain

As a panel builder/supplier I can tell you that I've been around this hobby and business for long enough to say with authority, build what you WANT to build/fly. Almost certainly easier to build the Airbus but unless you want an Airbus (or it grows on you significantly) you will always wish you had the Boeing. Nothing worse that flying one sim wishing it was another. I was a die-hard 737NG wannabe sim builder years ago until I got the corporate aircraft bug once I realized how much more affordable a corporate jet would be over an airliner ( so in this case it worked out that I changed plans).

Here's what came out of the change:

http://www.flightlev...id=77&Itemid=74

Hi Eric, yea, I agree with you. That corporate sim looks beautiful!

Nice sim shots. Now can I PLEASE have my seats back?? :LMAO:

LOL Do you have an S10 pickup?

That's what I am thinking but I've already done so much on the 737NG... :-(

FSX and Sim-Avionics

I had the same thoughts as you after I started my NG cockpit. I bought the NG MIP's, knobs, and switches from Flightdeck Solutions, then after weighing all that was really going to have to go into getting it where I wanted it, decided to do an A320 instead. So I bought a complete set of A320 panels from Flightdeck solutions and a pair of sidesticks (unfinished)

Well not too long after the A320 kit arrived I was commissioned to build a commercial flight simulation facility in Anaheim, CA. After working down there 14 hours a day the last thing I wanted to do when I got home or even on the weekend was build another cockpit. After it was finished I'd had enough of constructing cockpits for a while.

Fast forward to today. I'm still sitting on both a new set of Flightdeck Solutions 737NG and A320 panels, but have since burned out on airline style simulation. I continue to hold on to them thinking someday the interest may rekindle, but now am looking hard at the Emuteq G1000 desktop panels, and am thinking it may be time to part with the Flightdeck Soultion parts.

Either way you go the support and products available today are much more abundant than back when I was starting. If the NG throttle quadrants, yokes, and pedals that are available today were available back then I may have stuck with the NG. If you have the money and space I say go for both :D

I wish I could afford both and have the space for them! lol

Hi Eric, yea, I agree with you. That corporate sim looks beautiful!

Thanks. It's been a real labor of love. If there's anything I can help you with on the Learjet side, let me know B)

Thanks. It's been a real labor of love. If there's anything I can help you with on the Learjet side, let me know B)

You could ship me your sim lol. That would help

Seriously though I've always loved going to your website and looking at your sim. It's very very good

Cheers

Lee

That's why I don't think I could ever build a "pit" for one particular aircraft... there are just too many I like to fly!

If I may make a suggestion - do a test drive first. That's what I did before I bought my Mustang, I rented one to see if I really would like it. So why not find an A320 Sim and a Boeing sim in your area and rent one out for an hour on each? Yea, you'll be dropping $100's for this but considering you will spending $1,000s on yours and for use of many years I would think it would be money well invested.

You may find you really don't like the Airbus after all or may luv it. This is a good way to find out before you start the carnage!

Clutch

Seriously though I've always loved going to your website and looking at your sim. It's very very good

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee! Very kind of you. It will be dismantled the day after Christmas all to be moved about 50 yards into a new dedicated building. The tear-down should take about 3 hours. The rebuild will take about 3 months :blink:

Thanks Lee! Very kind of you. It will be dismantled the day after Christmas all to be moved about 50 yards into a new dedicated building. The tear-down should take about 3 hours. The rebuild will take about 3 months :blink:

It's too bad you have to dismantle the whole thing.

It's too bad you have to dismantle the whole thing.

Not too bad. You see, it's going to have the 12v wire harness completed for the L/R electrical bus as well as several new panels as well as some new flight controls. All in all, worth the hassle.

Very nice, what kind of display are you using for the lower EICAS?

Very nice, what kind of display are you using for the lower EICAS?

15" monitor

- Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is rooted via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.

I am not a big Airbus fan but I will say a nice plus with an A320 cockpit you can easily make it an A318, A319, A321 cockpit. Of course with the NG you can go from 600-900. However with the A320 you can make it an A330 and be doing widebody flights also. . That is the plus of the A320.

At the same time I find a 737 more enjoyable. You need to build what you want to fly 98% of the time.

It's a regular LCD?

Hard to find 5:4 displays nowdays

Yup... Found it in Craigist

- Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is rooted via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.

You know what guys? After all this 737 vs A320 talk, now I am thinking about just going GA and building a C172 simpit instead! LOL

Now that I'm about 75% done on my 225 degree visuals, I rather be flying low and enjoying the scenery on a GA plane instead of flying high with an airliner with AP engaged. hahaha

I rather be flying low and enjoying the scenery on a GA plane instead of flying high with an airliner with AP engaged. hahaha

+1 on that...way more engaging! and strengthens techniques to be applied in RL if/when the time comes.