Sign in to follow this  
RCITGuy

Replacing my Motherboard and CPU already!

ok, so I'm a noob to FSX and when I built my PC about 3 months ago, I didnt know squat about FSX, so I simply built it with the best I could get at the time, and ended up with an Asus P9X79 Pro board and a Sandybridge 2011 i7 3820 CPU...

After 3 months of reading and playing about, I'm now tempted to replace it with:

ASUS Maximus V Extreme Z77 + i7 2700k..

Overclocking it to 5gHz... Any good guides or "how to's for this" ??

I heard that my current CPU on the ASUS P9X79 board can go to 4.9gHz but cant for the life of me find anywhere that shows the settings for this or how to do it??

I have a watercooling setup too...

That would be a complete side-grade, not only performance wise, but both BIOS are almost identical and both chips use similar OCing procedures

Fair enough... I was getting the impression that the 2700k will go to 5gHz easier and better than my current i73820... My bad :-(

That would be a complete side-grade, not only performance wise, but both BIOS are almost identical and both chips use similar OCing procedures

3820 @ 3.6Ghz -> 2700K @ 5.0Ghz = a sidegrade? Am I missing something?

3820 @ 3.6Ghz -> 2700K @ 5.0Ghz = a sidegrade? Am I missing something?

The 3820 overclocks pretty much the same. Even if it's not "K" designated.

You may need more a bit more voltage and you may hit 100MHz less than a 2700K but that's still a sidegrade to me.

All 2500K, 2600K, 2700K, 3570K, 3770K, 3820, 3930K, 3960X perform within a 5% clock for clock and core for core, and overclock within 100MHz, so anything that involves swapping one of those chips for another one is a lateral move to me when it comes to FSX.

If he manages to overclock the 3820 to 4.8 or whatever.

I know that the CPU is virtually the same, but with locked multi.

If he manages to overclock the 3820 to 4.8 or whatever.

I know that the CPU is virtually the same, but with locked multi.

With the CPU straps that's not a problem at all.

It's not really locked anyway, it's just capped at 43.

CPU strap of 1.25 and you can go up to 1.25 x 43 = 5375MHz

Well, the real question is: why didn't he? Or just didn't know?

Well, the real question is: why didn't he? Or just didn't know?

Hiya Word Not Allowed

Your right mate, I didnt know or even think my board/CPU could go that high at all...

I was under the impression I was limited to the auto-ASUS overclocking @ 4gHz, and had no clue I could push it as high as 5gHz or even higher..

My setup is water cooled (Very effectively too) so I can easily push the CPU without heating tthings up too much.

Everything I had been reading here indicated that the best CPU was the 2700k overclocked to 5gHz, thus it had me thinking mine wouldnt go over the auto-tuned 4gHz.

So are you guys saying I could simply set my BIOS to 43 x 1.25 and all should be well?

ok, stupid question, I know, there is more to it than that, but I dont really know anything about overclocking, so you can bet your bum cheeks that I would set it to 43 x 1.25 and it wont boot, leaving me scratching my head as to why..

I havent changed systemboard or CPU, but did consider it, but it seems that was obviously one of those "not so wise" thoughts?

Heck if I could get my X79 platform + i7 3820 up to 5.3gHz I'd me chuffed :-)

Shame there isnt a "Kostas guide to the X79 and Intel 3820 :Praying:

Shame there isnt a "Kostas guide to the X79 and Intel 3820

May be kinda hard for Word Not Allowed, or anyone to give every scenerio for every hardware combination out there. There always is GOOGLE.

Indeed. Quite impossible - I could write a noobs way to overclock, but the problem is it *still* wouldn't apply to every combo out there. There are just too many factors for a successfull overclock.

On the other hand, if you just went 42x125 you would probably boot, as your voltages are currently set to auto, much like PLL overvolt, which would all set itself as needed, BUT, the danger of getting the CPU think it should run 1.6V or more is there, and this is WHY it shouldn't be done that way.

So are you guys saying I could simply set my BIOS to 43 x 1.25 and all should be well?

No way! don't do that. I never meant that as a suggestion, but to explain how the 3820 can potentially overclock just like the K series chips, that there are no locked multi limitations in it.

You should never leave the voltage to auto when overclocking and definitely not aim for 5.3GHz. Something like 4.6 - 4.8GHz would be achievable, but even then you don't go for the max freq right off the bat. Well at least I don't

May be kinda hard for Word Not Allowed, or anyone to give every scenerio for every hardware combination out there. There always is GOOGLE.

You dont say! Really? Seriously mate, lighten up and get a sense of humour, it was meant as a compliment/humour to Word Not Allowed, oh and thanks for pointing out the obvious...

I hate it when people refer you to google... If I am asking here, chances are, I havent found it via a search engine so far, or I would rather hear it from friends, even if it is listed in Google. There could be loads of listings in search engines, which one do you trust?

Do you tell everybody that asks you anything "Google it"? You must be real popular.. A true conversation killer..

Indeed. Quite impossible - I could write a noobs way to overclock, but the problem is it *still* wouldn't apply to every combo out there. There are just too many factors for a successfull overclock.

On the other hand, if you just went 42x125 you would probably boot, as your voltages are currently set to auto, much like PLL overvolt, which would all set itself as needed, BUT, the danger of getting the CPU think it should run 1.6V or more is there, and this is WHY it shouldn't be done that way.

I know, I DID state clearly right underneath that it was a stupid question and that I know there is far more to it than that.. But thanks anyway mate :-)

No way! don't do that. I never meant that as a suggestion, but to explain how the 3820 can potentially overclock just like the K series chips, that there are no locked multi limitations in it.

You should never leave the voltage to auto when overclocking and definitely not aim for 5.3GHz. Something like 4.6 - 4.8GHz would be achievable, but even then you don't go for the max freq right off the bat. Well at least I don't

See above... Geeze, why do people not read what you say here?

I KNOW that 5.3 would be nutz/stupid, and I DID google it, I Youtube'd it, the works, but it seems I was searching for ever so slightly the wrong thing in "P9X79 Pro overclocking" which is why I found nothing helpful.

Yesturday I had some time to spare so did a quick search of "Intel 3820 overclocking" and bingo, found some great vids on Youtube that were posted just a few days ago..

Should be able to get to 4.8 fairly easily.

Seriously though guys, thanks for the input/feedback...

@ RWFeldman = If you dont have anything nice to say, keep it shut. Telling people to "Google it" is so flippin rude, as your basically saying "I cant be bothered to help you find what your looking for, but I can be bothered to tell you to go look for it yourself" Real nice mate... Real nice...

I know, I DID state clearly right underneath that it was a stupid question and that I know there is far more to it than that.. But thanks anyway mate :-)

I know. My answer was a bit too serious though. I know how it was ment!

Just ease up on this, as it was apparently pointed towards me, but trust me, I didn't take it 1% hard. So no need to pursue this further.

No prob's mate, Nothing was aimed at you Word Not Allowed, in any harsh way at all mate... Heck your efforts have served me very well... I'm definately not slinging any mud at you mate :-)