Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Correct RAM for 2700k w/ ASUS P8Z77-V PRO?

After 4+ years of running my current rig, I have finally decided to build something new and make my FSX rig my work/internet box and retire my old Dell that I had been using for that purpose. So the other day I got a great combo deal on a new 2700K and Asus P8Z77-V Pro for a tad over $300 dollars.

Now the question is, what RAM do I want to get for this setup? After some reading and searching, I've read that for that CPU I need RAM that runs at 1.5v and I have some confusion over what I need. Not knowing a lot about parts, I understand that the lowest CAS is the fastest and most desirable and from what I understand that mobo takes anywhere from 1333 and up, but anything over 1600 has an (O.C) next to it as noted in the pic below.

That being said, do I choose RAM that is rated at 1600mhz with a lower Cas or get something like the 2133 Cas 9 that also runs at 1.5v. The thing is, I plan to OC the 2700k but not so sure about fiddling with overclocking the RAM. I found these two kits on newegg that are 1600mhz with Cas 7 but before making the purchase I wanted to get some feedback here first. I've check the profiles of some of the guys here, like SpiritFlyer who are running the same CPU and it seems that 1600mhz RAM is a popular choice. Below are the two kits I was considering.

Thanks in advance for the help and guidance.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,

Get the GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2133 CL9 instead. - Faster and nearly the same price...

Ben,

GSkill 'Ares' series isn't the same in low profile package ? In case someone wants to avoid water-colling and use a Noctua nh-d14 ?

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Hi,

Get the GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 2133 CL9 instead. - Faster and nearly the same price...

Thanks Ben, but on the Newegg site I dont see any GSkill 2133 CL9's that run at 1.5v, however there were a few Corasir kits at 2133 CL9 1.5v and one that in green letters says "Fast Corsair Vengeance 1.5V memory for Z77". Not sure by the amount of reviews though as it seems the 4 kits aren't very popular.

Also, if I went with a set of 2133's are they pretty much plug and play or is some BIOS tweaking needed? The thing is, since I am by far an expert on hardware and OC'ing (current rig is my only OC), I dont want to run into a bunch of issues with stability.

A new computer for Sean?? Whodathunkit!

Use the Asus QVL under memory as a guide; http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PRO/

Far from being a HC geek, but any memory above 1600 *should* boot at 1600 until you go into the BIOS and tell it to load the XMP profile for the RAM. Thereafter, you should see the rated speed.

I wouldn't try RAM that's not on the QVL, though that choice is your's. I speak from a little bit of experience and have replacement ram modules sitting on the floor waiting to be swapped out for what I thought *should* work OK. It's an older system that what you're working with. But I look forward to seeing your comments once you get things put together.

A new computer for Sean?? Whodathunkit!

Haha, yeah hard to believe huh? If my old Dell rig that I use for work/internet wasn't on its last legs and the stuff I bought so far wasn't so cheap, I would probably be waiting another year or more to upgrade,

Use the Asus QVL under memory as a guide; http://www.asus.com/...155/P8Z77V_PRO/

Far from being a HC geek, but any memory above 1600 *should* boot at 1600 until you go into the BIOS and tell it to load the XMP profile for the RAM. Thereafter, you should see the rated speed.

I wouldn't try RAM that's not on the QVL, though that choice is your's. I speak from a little bit of experience and have replacement ram modules sitting on the floor waiting to be swapped out for what I thought *should* work OK. It's an older system that what you're working with. But I look forward to seeing your comments once you get things put together.

Well, I took a look at that link and saw three different lists under the Memory/Device Support tab (P8Z77-V-PRO_QVL, P8Z77-V-PRO-memory-QVL, P8Z77-V-PRO-QVL), although at quick glance each PDF seemed to list pretty much the same thing.

I think the thing that is confusing me is:

A. What voltage? I read something about Sandy Bridge memory controllers or something to do with Sandy Bridge CPU that the RAM used needs to be ~1.5v and not 1.65v. I'm guessing that although those PDF's list a bunch of 1.65v RAM, that would be for the Ivy Bridge CPU's and not Sandy Bridge?

B. If I get the 2133mhz RAM, is it easy to get to work at that frequency without a lot of trouble?

I think this type of stuff, as confusing as it can be for people who dont know a lot about hardware, is one of the reasons I have waited so long to upgrade, I just dont want to buy the wrong thing and either end up doing damage to the CPU and/or mobo by mixing something that is the wrong voltage, or getting something that wont work and having to take the time to mail it back for a replacement.

Use the Asus QVL under memory as a guide; http://www.asus.com/...155/P8Z77V_PRO/

After further review of the guides, I looked at the one dated 2012.08.27 and it looks like for 1600/1.5v RAM the best choices seem to be G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL(XMP) 9-9-9-24 ($40) or CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8(XMP) 8-8-8-24 ($53), both of which are available on newegg.

The G.Skill seems to be a more popular choice at CAS9 than the CAS8 Corsair. Funny though that there are two of the same G.SKILL models listed with the only difference being the one I need as 9-9-9-24-2N and the other one as just 9-9-9-24, same price. I have no idea what the 2N is? Guess is doesn't matter though since the part number is not listed in the Asus QVL.

I've recently swapped from 8gb Gskill DDR3-1600 at 9-9-9-24 to 16gb of Gskill DDR3-2400 clocked at 2133 (due to my 2500K I believe) 9-9-9-28. In FSX over a few runs of FSXMark11 for each, the difference was a whopping gain on average of just over 1fps. In real FSX application though, it's noticeably smoother. Verdict imo, not worth the upgrade.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

This is precisely the question I need to ask. Making the same upgrade.

At the moment I'm looking at Corsair Vengeance Blue

Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B) [CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B]

They run at 1.5 Volts. Cas 9.

Heatsinks are a bit tall though and I am running a D14, so still not decided. Tall heatsinks can be avoided with the D14, by moving the rear fan out of the way a tad.

2x4GB RAM @1866 (almost no 2x4GB QLV above 1866) compatibility with ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS, I found out that:

According to ASUS QLV I may use:

1. G.SKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL(XMP) 8GB(2 x 4GB) DS - - 9-10-9-28 1.5V ● ● ●

2. G.SKILL F3-14900CL9Q-8GBXL(XMP) 8GB(2GBx4) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.6V ● ● ●

3. KINGSTON KHX1866C11D3P1K2/8G 8GB ( 4GB x 2) DS - - - 1.5V ● ● ●

Looking at GSKILL site, F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL is RipjawsX with 9-10-9-28 2N timings, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/DELUXE compatibility and a height of 40mm which barely fit under a NH-D14 (44mm clearance).

The only low profile GSKILL memory similar to that just mentioned is ARES F3-1866C9D-8GAB with only 33mm height, 9-10-9-28 2N timings and ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/DELUXE compatibility. Looks like RipjawsX repackaged, renamed and re-branded as low profile, so I'm on the safe side - I hope my reasoning is correct.

Well, there is also Kingston 2x4GB 1866 KHX1866C11D3P1K2/8G with DDR3-1866 CL11-11-11

9-10-9

Edited by SLKVP

Sam. 

No Problems with GSKILL ARES F3-1866C9D-8GAB 33mm height, 9-10-9-28 2N timings on ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS so far. Memory sticks fit bellow Noctua NH-D14 and XMP profile is recognized in BIOS.

Sam. 

No Problems with GSKILL ARES F3-1866C9D-8GAB 33mm height, 9-10-9-28 2N timings on ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS so far. Memory sticks fit bellow Noctua NH-D14 and XMP profile is recognized in BIOS.

Interesting note on the height of those sticks.

I have been so busy with other things that I still have not yet bought my RAM since I started this thread, but need to go ahead and buy it and finish it up so I can start enjoying it.

BTW Sam, how come you didn't buy the 2133mhz sticks? From talking to some people here and off air from this forum and other FS forums. it seems that while 2133mhz RAM aren't supported by this mobo, or listed as being supported, you can still use it with no ill effects. There was something going around saying that with the SB chips you couldn't use RAM rated at 1.65 volts as it would ruin the CPU, but from everyone I talked to they said it was not an issue as long as you kept your VCCIO (not sure if that's what its called) voltage within a certain voltage of the RAM.

I'm going to be picking up my RAM this week but will look to buy some with a low profile so I dont have to be worried about fitting under the cooler.

@cmpbellsjc

I wanted to be on the safe side. I followed the QLV.

Sam.