Sign in to follow this  
cobrakev1526

Just reinstalled FSX back to Vista 64 Ultimate and....

Ok so here is the deal. I've been using Windows 7 for years now and have gotten so fed up with all the various CTD. From G3D.dll (now fixed by FSUIPC) to Stackhash, ntdll.dll you name it. I've used the aiautomation tweek from vista and I've never had that crash but everyone of them besides that. Anyways over the last week now I've decided to take a completely different approach with my system. I remember when FSX came out in 2006 and it was to showcase windows Vista. So I thought way back when I hade windows XP and how FSX ran back then. I honestly don't remember having very many CTD back then I had a bunch of freezes then but that was due to my nvidia GeForce 7800 gxt which was known to have that problem in FSX. Then I got vista and acceleration pack with a nvidia 8800 and I didn't have any more freezes or lookups. CTD to my memory back then were rare at best. Ok fast forward to January of 09. I build a new system just to run FSX. Core i7 965 OC to 4 ghz 6 gigs of ram, 4 hard drive one dedicated to FSX. Nvidia gtx 295 later upgraded to gtx 480 and all way fairly ok albeit running on Vista64 Ultimate with sp1. I think it was later that year windows 7 came out but I got it and never looked back to vista. Ok fast forward again to this last week. Ever since I've been running Windows 7 64 FSX has been getting so unstable. Ever with a fresh operating system install I would get CTD in every flight situation be it with addon scenery, aircraft, or even default setups with no addons installed yet. It seemed like the more windows7 updated itself the more FSX became unstable. I've finally started to relize that mabe FSX isn't such a broken program as I was starting to believe. So I decided to take a different approach...

I went to try and find my copy on Vista and having dusted it off I inserted it in the drive. I then formatted and deleted every drive and partition. The on my c drive I created a new partition and split the drive in half. Formatted and install vista on 0 then installed windows 7 on 1. Now I have a dual boot configuration with vista and windows7. My thinking was to dedicate vista to FSX only and w7 for everything mon FSX related. I updated vista to the point were there isn't anymore updates left and then began the tedious task of installing FSX and everything else. PMDG, CARENADO, REALAIR, REALITY XP, FLIGHT 1, CAPTAIN SIM, AEROSOFT, ORBX, UTX, GEX,REX ESSENTIALS, FS CAPTAIN, SAITEK PANELS, LOGITECK G940, SAITEK YOKE W/3 TQS, THRUSTMASTER COUGAR, TRACK IR 5, and on and on. I've used *******'s auto tweeks and set my FPS to 30. All sliders are to the right except for water is high2 and mech res is set to 2 meters. Mytraffic x5.4 is set to 25 25 and cars is at 10 boats ships 40. I'm running dx9 at 1920 x1200 6/10.

I took a Carenado Skymaster from orbx daring ton 1s2 to skagett Kbvs to Seattle ksea to kors back to Kbvs . Not CTD of any kind to report during the entire flight. Btw Rex essentials was running. Next I took a Flight 1 Cessna 182t with the g1000 from Kennedy Kjfk during hurricane sandy using Rex Essential to fly Tampas Boston Logan and back. Again no errors of any kind. All PMDG aircraft are stable now and using fs2crew. YBBN with the Flight1 mustang is stable and at 17 FPS wich is good considering aircraft and scenery are maxed out.

So for now FSX fly great under vista 64 sp2 not CTD to report and I am finally happy!!!

Pretty drastic actions but glad you got FSX back up and working. So far I haven't suffered the same issues you had with Windows 7 but I still have my Vista disks too should things get out of hand. Thanks for posting your solution. It could help others having similar problems.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'd never go back to Vista!

I think the complete reformat and reinstall did more good than just running a different OS to be honest. I dare say if you do a complete reformat and reinstall on Windows 7 you should be CTD free. I very, very rarely saw CTD in Windows 7. I'm running in Windows 8 now and it's just as stable, if not more so.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S