Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Disable automatic injection on start

I hope topic says it all: I want to disable AS2012 from inputting weather on start. I want to use to program for flight planing, weather report, winds aloft, but I don't want it to input weather into FSX.

Any chances?

I'm guessing you want to use OpusFSX to handle the actual weather while still using the weather reporting features of AS2012. Let us know how that works out.

As far as I know, there's nothing in the AS2012 options to handle this. There may be a way to "confuse" AS2012 so that it can't find a running FSX to inject weather into. If I were doing this, I'd run AS2012 on another computer. There are probably ways to set it up so AS2012 doesn't see FSX running on your main computer.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Correct. I want to prevent the injection only but still have all the goodies AS2012 delivers.

AS2012 is already on the networked computer, but if it doesn't find FSX, it nags.

There is no way to disable the weather engine when running AS. Have you tried the various depiction modes in AS2012? There are a lot of options to get just about any kind of depiction method you are seeking. I.e. if you want traditional depiction with variable cloud depiction based on individual stations, try Standard or Smooth Cloud transition.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Yes, I tried them all, and still like the Opus engine much better. Not to mention it doesn't cause flashing, doesn't need a century to boot etc...

Thanks for the suggestions though, I would be much happier if I could use the two products along each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with OpusFSX is that it doesn't provide any kind of weather map at all, requiring the user to run an external weather map program. Since AS2012 provides the best weather map, that's the one Word Not Allowed is trying to use.

Word Not Allowed, I doubt if it would help to install FSX on the networked computer. While that would allow AS2012 to run, when it instantiated SimConnect that would probably find some way to connect to your running FSX on the main computer. There may be a way to prevent this, but may cause SimConnect to throw errors. This is outside my field of expertise. Good luck.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I was hoping for some simple solution from Damian. Some simple cfg setting which I can turn off and things are done. I hope that it can be done, otherwise I'll be forced to dump the AS2012 alltogether. I supported them even with AS2012, though my opinion was it was just too bloated. That was coming from a program which was working quite fast, ASX.

But I strongly believe that Opus can make those things, flightplan input, average winds, winds aloft, at least they are listening to the users and programming stuff in...

If you are running networked, why not create a fake local FSX file so that AS2012 injects the weather into these files on the networked machine rather than the main FS machine. I have had problems setting up REX on a networked system when it kept seeing my old FSX folders on the networked machine. Good luck.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

FWIW I used the Opus demo along side AS2012. After AS 2012 was running, I then started Opus and Opus always superceded AS2012. I could then use AS2012 for wx reports etc. I have'nt tried it since I bought Opus.

Hi, Word Not Allowed.......

I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but IMHO it's better to just NOT start AS2012 at all - just use the graphics from it (if you prefer those). I like most of their graphics (ground based textures), but have since switched my clouds to HDE v2 clouds and their 32 bit sky textures. They are very nice, and I find much less of a FPS hit with their clouds - could be my imagination, but I don't think so. I'm told that FEX clouds are also very nice.

Anyway - I think you will see in time that Opus will be the way to go (for true winds aloft, some sort of planner (?), etc.. Still very much a work (of art) in progress.) Good stuff, with absolutely unmatched support.

(My disclaimer: I receive no compensation of any sort - no donuts, coffee, $$, trips to the tropics, free subway pass thru transylvania, etc. etc..)

All best,

Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

why not create a fake local FSX file so that AS2012 injects the weather into these files

Worth a shot, will try.

AS2012 injects via Simconnect, so I really wonder if it's gonna work.

bblackkbirdd, I don't want to start a discussion of Opus vs AS on AS forums. I however thank you for your opinions, and will keep an open eye on both developments, if AS develops further...

Agreed - sorry about that......

But - A quick last comment from my end.......

Make no mistake - I think AS2012 is still one of the great weather programs to happen for FSX. It has much going for it.

I am hopeful that SP2 will bring the program forward (a lot) - competition in software (like so many things) brings out the best - for us!

Ray L (Blackbird)

at least they are listening to the users and programming stuff in...

Ouch.

Really, we are listening to our customers and continuing development, like we have for the past 11 years.

In fact, if you recall, several years ago, our customers demanded that we focused on winds aloft accuracy at all costs. It took us thousands of man hours and 5 years to finally achieve it. Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of things we've added based on user feedback. The dozens of free upgrades, over 12 product generations. Now it appears customers are demanding what we had about 7 years ago, old theme-based weather depiction with no cloud transitions or winds aloft stability. We're working on it, digging out our old legacy code and moving it to the newer programming languages. But we're also working on something brand new that works even better to give people the best of both worlds (accurate winds, full smoothing of all conditions, AND proper cloud coverage depiction in all cases along with smooth cloud transitioning effects).

I'd like to say that we have no interest in disabling the weather engine from our weather engine. We are interested however in continuing development, with the support of our customer base and their feedback.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Damian, I really didn't mean for it to come over as it did! This only one of those things called native tongue.

Apart from that, I have been supportig HiFiSim with every release of activesky since 2004 or so. You have supported my questions more than I could have ever expected, and then even some goodies! So no, that was really not ment so, but rather only that Opus is also having good support.

You must agree that from the standpoint of the user it is a benefit to have a competition.

If I might suggest one thing: separate the texture portion from the wearher portion, I know what your idea was, but I think hardly anyone is installing textures from the networked laptop via WLAN. You need to make the program less bloated and more useful, not having to switch pages as much. I don't know what's possible, but that is one thing I don't like about AS2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch.

Really, we are listening to our customers and continuing development, like we have for the past 11 years.

In fact, if you recall, several years ago, our customers demanded that we focused on winds aloft accuracy at all costs. It took us thousands of man hours and 5 years to finally achieve it. Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of things we've added based on user feedback. The dozens of free upgrades, over 12 product generations. Now it appears customers are demanding what we had about 7 years ago, old theme-based weather depiction with no cloud transitions or winds aloft stability. We're working on it, digging out our old legacy code and moving it to the newer programming languages. But we're also working on something brand new that works even better to give people the best of both worlds (accurate winds, full smoothing of all conditions, AND proper cloud coverage depiction in all cases along with smooth cloud transitioning effects).

Please don't sacrifice accurate winds for the sake of weather themes!! Main reason I use AS2012 is for accurate aloft winds. Please don't dumb it down to start chasing some user requests. I want actual proper cloud transitions but not at the expense of screwing up the winds. I look forward to what you allude to in the the last part of your post.

Eric