Sign in to follow this  
WoznikWRX

New AA Livery...yay or nay?

poor safety record or business problems

According to an article I read a few months back, I think I would never have flown ValuJet/AirTran. Sometimes trying to save a buck may not always be the safest thing.

Does that count?

It depends. There are people that will book the cheapest fare. There are people that will only fly Delta. There are people that will only fly American, There are also people out there that keep track of what airlines they have flown and will choose an airline they have never flown before.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

It depends. There are people that will book the cheapest fare. There are people that will only fly Delta. There are people that will only fly American, There are also people out there that keep track of what airlines they have flown and will choose an airline they have never flown before.

Well it sounds like you've got the whole world covered. Good reply.

You know what? You're right. But would that make you choose them over the cheaper alternative? To me, it wouldn't, but there have been some cases where I've chosen a different airline simply because I hadn't flown it before. Does that count? haha

But would that make you choose them over the cheaper alternative? ....Hell yes LOL :lol:

When I was a kid I flew a TWA Connie to Okinawa where I lived for a number of years. I had a brochure about FA requirements for TWA, it would send chills in todays world. Requirements as memory serves me, had to be a RN, weight, and height limits, education, unmarried etc. and most of all, very attractive. I kept that brochure for many years.

"with the composite 787 body they have no choice"

That doesn't necessarily preclude AA from just painting the planes. They did it with their a330 fleet (for other reasons), and more recently have been painting the bellies of their 738's (due to fluid & maint/cosmetic reasons). Those planes share very clear polished/painted/CF sections. There's really no reason AA couldn't employ metallic silver paints used by other carriers to make the 787's fit aesthetically into their current livery. Whether they will do so or not is another matter, but there has been much ado about how AA has no other option than to repaint their entire fleet because of the 787 and forthcoming airbus acquisitions. They're really not painted into a corner to the extent that the media speculates (sorry, couldn't help it!).

One thing that seems missed so far is that while some spokesperson comments have hinted at a totally new branding, other comments from AA have referred to a "special" livery on 717. It's very possible that AA has a launch livery planned for this bird, and their re-branding may be a much more subtle refinement.

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

The only US airlines I know of that operate the 717 are Southwest/AirTran (soon to be operated by Delta) and Hawaiin.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I think you mean A300's, they don't operate A330's

Yep! Typo- they had a bit of a dust-up with Airbus over wanting to polish the aluminum a300 fuselages, hence the (initial) gray and white paint on those fleets. Was later resolved.

The only US airlines I know of that operate the 717 are Southwest/AirTran (soon to be operated by Delta) and Hawaiin.

N717AN is AA's 77W sitting at Paine Field B)

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

WOW! I didn't really think that this would blow up like this :-)..love to see all your comments. I have to say that this paint job is kinda of growing on me. The change would be nice and like some of you said that they have no other choice since the new planes are made from composite material and not bare metal. Maybe this will actually look very nice in person..Once I see one I'll definitely take a pic and share with all of you! I live by O'Hare so AA operates out of it..kind of excited to see what will come :-D

WOW! I didn't really think that this would blow up like this

That's the best part of AVSIM Forums. Some are bad and some are good. When they're bad they're awful. When they're good they tend to end great.

this paint job is kinda of growing on me

Yep. Me too. I can see this as a paint I'd install within the first few.

N717AN is AA's 77W sitting at Paine Field

And if I'm not educated enough on aircraft painting, I'd say it looks like they might paint the tail in the way shown on the draft (http://forum.avsim.net/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-181045-0-32416100-1351778709.jpg).

Look at the primer, or something covering the tail and fuse in that pattern. N717AN

So I was scrolling through my facebook this morning and one of my friends posted this one..I do not know where he found this or anything but just thought I would share since there was a post the other day about the new AA look...enjoy!

Pretty standard and unimaginative livery, and a bit too much on the dark colored side. That said, I don't like the "old" AA livery that much either; for me it's too vintage.

Dave P. Woycek

The company hasn't said anything about it yet but the common feeling around the airlines is that the A319s and A321s will be completely painted with the current livery. I don't know if this is true but someone said metalic paint weighs more than regular paint so they were shying away from it. The company has officially said that they are looking into a new livery and had been since well before they filed bankruptcy. My persponal theory as to why the livery hasn't changed in so long is that we are one of the only airlines that hasn't had a whole sale management change in forever. New management teams love to come up with new liveries it seems.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg