Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

How to convert DX9 textures to DX10

So instead of working against, why not try to work together and make the best of what can be done with FSX?

:clapping: :yahoo:

:hi:

Thank You!!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

You are trying to blend all of the defensive arguments of the developers who won't, or can't - produce a DX10-compilant airport, hcornea, and entirely missing the point of the original discussion, and at the same time - attacking the many DX10 users, the readers and the posters with sarcasm and challenges which you know we can't meet.

1). No-one is suggesting developers can or should produce "a true FSX native stable modelled ground surface", indeed until you mentioned this, most of us un-enlightened users are are/were not aware (and don't care) that Microsoft didn't include the code for "a true FSX native stable modelled ground surface".

What we do know is that Steve used his intelligent inquisitiveness, dug into the differences between DX9 and DX10, and very methodically, analysed those differences, and fixed the major issue of runways flashing. He then went on to fix the opaque fences: he then went on the fix the Progressive Taxi function.. and so on: my immediate comment is "My God - in six years since inception - why has no developer house ever taken the time to look at the DX10 shaders and correct those inequities?"

I cannot believe that hundreds of experienced programmers, and scenery designers (since you separated the two skill-sets) have not been aware that these problems exist, and that were caused by errors within the main shader folder. Why is it that private individuals - folks like ******* Altuve or Steve Parsons can, in a relatively short time, come up with these "fixes" to the degree that DX10 mode is now very flyable as a result, albeit with a few warts? What other fixes are just sitting there, waiting for some enterprising individual to come along?

2). Re the OP's topic - many of us here completely understand the relationship between DX1 - DXT3 - DXT5, 32-bit, alphas and mip-mapping, and understand the impact on stuttering or frame rate that missing alphas make, and that those modifications of themselves - are not making a texture or the addon - DX10 compliant. This is basically just another tweaking tool - not a magic bullet.

3). "we have not advanced." Really? For us users Steve's contribution has made an enormous impact on this sim. So some night textures on some addon airports are greyed out. This is not prevalent among all airports - there are a number which work just fine.

4). "Your best hope is that he can get legacy ground textures to work in DX10." Absolutely! On this we can agree - but I would hope that with the attention this patch has attracted - that developers such as yourself (and I have no idea who you are, nor which house you represent) would take a higher look at all of the posts here - good and bad, and come away with an incentive to use your knowledge of scenery design and your programming skills, and instead of facetiously attacking us Simm'ers - you might spend some time looking at ways to prolong the life of FSX with DX10, given the uncertain faces of P3D and X-Plane.

5). "if you know what needs to be done, let's see your contribution to it"

Our "the users" - contribution comes in the form of money. That's all our contribution needs to be. We support with our wallets.

All we have to do is find - and support - the FSX Addon vendors that produce DX10-compatible scenery's.

I should also add, that FSDreamteam is some $80 richer this morning.

All the best,

pj

Very well said, Paul!

Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

I’m working or should I say trying on several FSX projects; If successful will improve PFS, lower memory usage and hopefully fix the DX10 texture problems.

Wow! These are great news! :Applause:

Hello:

Some very good points have been made by participants in this thread. :Thinking:

I believe that patient, courteous, and cooperative efforts by all may successfully bring further enhancements to the use of FSX in DX-9 and DX-10 modes in both freeware and commercial scenery development.

We must remember that FS Developers have already been 'put through the wringer' by ACES changing the SDK platform multiple times over the pre- and post RTM FSX development cycle (aka the "moving target"), and that it takes time, effort, and expense to explore / implement a sequence of "official" SDK method releases ...as well as to innovate new "work-arounds".

Indeed, we might all be eager to have high profile developers implement work-arounds ASAP for existing scenery packages already on the market, and to have them include alternate installations for yet another FSX configuration (aka: "DX-10 mode") in future scenery packages releases.

But, AFAIK, that is likely to take some additional time, during which we should even more extensively test fixes / work-arounds and any potential ramifications affecting display of other FS content, so that FS Developers may asses the feasibility of making changes to their production methods (and to their budgets) for supporting potential alternate releases / installations of FSX add-on packages.

IMHO, it is quite likely we will soon begin to see an increasing number of FS Developers implement fixes / work-arounds for DX-10 mode display compatibility as the FS Community knowledge base continues to expand (and get tested) even more than it has thus far.

I believe that the FS Community can eventually make the FSX experience more sensational than it already is, by continuing with open and productive communication that acknowledges the mutual concerns of both FS Developers and end users ...such we have thus far seen in this forum.

Keep up the good work, everyone ! :smile:

GaryGB

:LMAO:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Jewel:

You can use these two files to convert your old aircraft textures to DXT5 format: The first one is the bat file, here:

and secondly, "ImageTool" from the SDK here. The links give you a direct download to wherever you save your downloaded files: just place both in the aircraft texture folder and dbl-click on the bat file. It will convert the bmp's to DXT5 .dds files.

Post back if you have any problems. I should add - there's no guarantee this will make the aircraft "DX10 compatible", because - as has been said already - the problem may well be within the mdl file itself, but there's no harm checking, is there! Just backup the aircraft first.

Hello All:

There is a way to batch convert a lot of textures to DXT5. I did this last night on my Ultimate Traffic AI files to include MIP maps for performance. The only thing I edited in this process was to change the .bat file to create mips. "imagetool.exe -r -DXT5 -mip -e bmp -batch *.bmp"

Here is the post from the UT2 forum Posted: 06-December-2010 at 5:29am - credit to csharpe:

Here's an easy way to batch convert UT2 aircraft to DXT5 with mipmaps.

Because this is a fast and easy way to convert files, this method converts ALL the aircraft files to DXT5 with mipmaps. However, it also preserves all the properties of the original files, so you get both the benefit of crystal clear textures and mipmaps which eliminate the flickering on both DAY and NIGHT textures. (I know some do not see the value of converting night textures, but the flickering does bother some of us. If you are one of those persons who does not agree with this, please ignore this post.) Although DXT1 creates smaller files, I detected no difference in FPS between the smaller vs. larger file formats. (I was getting 34 FPS at KLAX with 100% AI regardless of the file format). There is no discernible loss in quality from the original to the converted files with this method. Be prepared for your original file size of 2.77GB to grow to 4.20GB. The mipmaps add approximately 1/3 more to the file size. However, they look MUCH better, and there is no performance hit.

I have compared both the original files and the newly converted files in action, and I have not found any difference in the functionality other than the fact that the flickering has disappeared on night and day textures.

To set up the process:

1) Create a new folder and name it something like "DXT batch converter".

2) Copy "ImageTool.exe" into this folder. (It can be found online if it did not come with the SDK in your FSX version.)

3) Create a text document with the following text:

imagetool.exe -r -DXT5 -e bmp -batch *.bmp

4) Save the text document as "dxt5.bat"

5) Copy your "UT2 Aircraft" folder into the "DXT batch converter" folder. (After it is copied, add "Backup" to the end of your "original" folder location so that you can revert to it if you need to.)

6) Double-click the "dxt5.bat" file, and within about 20 minutes your files will be converted.

7) Copy the "UT2 Aircraft" folder back to its original location and go flying.

If you want to try the DXT1 or DXT3 formats, just substitute those texts for "DXT5" in the batch file.

Best,Carlyle

? I love the Flight1 C172R for FS9. I read on their site that if I download the FSX installer I can use my product validation key to install the 172R into FSX. So I tried, the installer works fine, plane is loaded in FSX but it's all greyed out, no textures.

I read on their support pages and find this:

http://www.flight1.c...w.asp?page=dx10

Morale of their story is, if I have DX10 preview checked the Flight1 C172R won't work properly. They say if I uncheck the preview box then their plane will work in FSX. If I uncheck this box I'll have to restart FSX right? Doing so will turn off DX10 right?

Is there a work around to make this awesome plane work with DX10?

Thanks.

Gus

P.S. The main reason (besides the Flight1 C172R is a great model of the Cessna) is I want to use my A2A shockwave lights with a Cessna 172. I have them loaded for the default FSX 172 but the problem there is no taxi/landing light difference. In reading on that I find FSX did not model a taxi light, so I get nice lights with A2A shockwave and the default FSX C172 but the taxi light does not work. The taxi light switch does nothing, if I turn on the landing light switch both lights light up, but it's super bright, not cool for taxiing.

Does anyone know of a C172 for FSX that models the taxi AND landing lights? I'm assuming Flight1 C172R does, BUT it doesn't work with DX10 Preview checked. :mad:

I need to look more into the Carenado C172, the only thing that worries me there is the lack of the AP panel and IFR gauges, it seems from the screen shots its more of a VFR only plane, or atleast it doesn't look as those the OBS1 has G/S and Loc, only Loc.

I've been waiting for a long for Real Air to release their version of the C172 for FSX, it's been "coming soon" for a LONG time.

With the aim of not veering off the topic in this thread;

Is anyone looking at converting textures of the new Flytampa OMDB rebooted which clearly deosn't like DX10.

I can't see any ground textures in DX10 at night. During the day it looks very nice apart from the lights leading upto the runways at each end appearing as black boxes.

I have started flying to and out of Dubai during the day only..

Any work arounds or even methods for me to try out are welcome..

Cheers,

Mars

Mario Lobo

P3D v:4.5| Win 10 2004 x64 pro | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E | i9-9900KS@ 5.1Ghz(OC) | Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal (16x2)32G Kit DDR4 3200Mhz | 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC| 1x Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB | Samsung 970 PRO 1TB | 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2TB| Tt ToughpowerXT 875W | CoolerMaster HAF X Tower

There is a way to batch convert a lot of textures to DXT5. I did this last night on my Ultimate Traffic AI files to include MIP maps for performance. The only thing I edited in this process was to change the .bat file to create mips. "imagetool.exe -r -DXT5 -mip -e bmp -batch *.bmp"

Does this fix works for sceneries too? :rolleyes: I mean about the issue of grey-blue runways at dawn and dusk.

Hi Carlyle,

Thanks for your post. Like a lot of people my "programming" skills are zero, and that extends to creating bat files. I've forgotten all those details of using FS5 on Dos 5.

I've been ploughing through my UT2 aircraft manually, so your bat is a godsend. My understanding, though, is that I must delete the bmps after they have been joined by the new dds's.

Can a batch file be created to delete the bmps through the whole UT2 Aircraft structure?

Regards, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Hi Carlyle,

Thanks for your post. Like a lot of people my "programming" skills are zero, and that extends to creating bat files. I've forgotten all those details of using FS5 on Dos 5.

I've been ploughing through my UT2 aircraft manually, so your bat is a godsend. My understanding, though, is that I must delete the bmps after they have been joined by the new dds's.

Can a batch file be created to delete the bmps through the whole UT2 Aircraft structure?

Regards, Jim

I looked up some dos commands and switches.

I've put a link to the bat file I used to remove the .bmps from my UT2 Aircraft folders, after using Carlyle's bat file to create the dds's. AlphaSearcher now reports no missing Alphas, nor any missing Mips.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sax7y06dbuf6ahm/Delete%20BMPS.bat

Jim

TO ALL PROGRAMMERS!! :mad:

In my opinion and that is "BUILD IT AND WE WILL COME"!! "DON'T BUILD IT AND REMAIN IN THE CORN FIELD LOOKING OUT AND WHINNING ABOUT WHAT CAN AND CAN'T BE DONE"!!

This is the maIn #1 reason that I am here on Avsim is to learn and support FSX. This is the same approach that MS took when developing FSX. HCORNEA, if you are a true programmer? you can and will make the differnce to FSX, IF YOU CHOOSE TO. I agree totally with Paul, I also have paid FSDT cash money for their DX10 add-ons and will continue in the future as long as the product says "DX10 COMPATABLE". I take great affense on what you have said in your post. We as a country have sent men and women into outer space and they weren't sent their on a hope and a prayer... they had to have "PROGRAMMERS" to get them their So in closeing "Get on the bus or get off and walk the rest of the way". With Steve P and the rest, FSX will move ahead with or without all the negitive replys.

Les

I looked up some dos commands and switches.

I've put a link to the bat file I used to remove the .bmps from my UT2 Aircraft folders, after using Carlyle's bat file to create the dds's. AlphaSearcher now reports no missing Alphas, nor any missing Mips.

https://www.dropbox....Delete BMPS.bat

Jim

If you place Imagetool in the folder you're working on, it will considerably shorten that copy/pasting (or plain typing) great long filename, Jim. The syntax/commands for the switches can be found by typing imagetool -? into a command line, and hitting Enter. If you want greater automation I would suggest you get out the old DOS cmd set and add in something like this, having first created a "bmp_backup" folder under the same main folder that you're in, like this :-

Addon Scenery

KPDX

scenery

texture

bmp_backup <-- new folder

The "delete_bmp.bat" script would then be:-

copy *.bmp ..\bmp_backup\. <---- note the period at the end of the line

dir ..\bmp_backup

pause <--------- this is here so that you can verify that the copy did work.

imagetool -nogui -dxt5 -dds -nodither -r *.bmp

del *.bmp

It's a very nice little tool, isn't it!

Does this fix works for sceneries too? :rolleyes: I mean about the issue of grey-blue runways at dawn and dusk.

Hi Jewel:

No - converting textures won't, in itself mean that "the grey boxes" will go away. It simply means that you have made the existing textures compliant with the DX10 (Vista) and FSX SP2 standard: i.e. a "dds" file extension. The gpu is going to look for an alpha and a mip-map for every texture it sees, and if they are missing (provided a lot of them are missing) there will be a stumble, or there will be stuttering. Adding the mip and the alpha gets rid of that possibility.

The model file may well be created using older fs9/fs8 tools - and that will be the cause of the grey boxes - not the fact that the textures are .bmp's.