Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Slow unresposive control on final (goofy landing)

Just occationally I get really bad control on final approach, but not all the time. I really try and turn the yoke and the NGX yaws about and doesn't turn very quickly. Almost a 20 deg yaw. Just seems that the controls are unresponsive or very late in working. Is this possibly icing or wake turbulance? Is it part of the simulation? I do use Active sky 2012. Or am I just not turning it aggressively enough?

The other night when this happened on final approach the OAT was 9C with heavy rain and cloud, the wind was slightly from the left @ 6KTS. I did have the IA on for most of the journey, but turned it of on descent, to avoid the high N1. I don't think I turned it back on again from memory, so my bad. Also when on final there was a plane in front of me but it wasn't a 747 and it must of been a good 5 miles ahead, so wake turbulance seems unlikely.

Is the ice issue the problem? I am kind of learning the AI proceedures at the moment. Have others had this problem or erratic landings?

best regards

Jools

Active Sky and Wake Turbulence. If you have the Wake turbulence turned up past say 30% ... even a C172 can make a huge effect, making the aircraft start to bank without commanding it to, or even make full deflection of yoke nearly ineffective. It's unrealistically severe.

Trent Hopkinson

Ok Thanks. I will have to look into the settings in AS. The NGX can be a little unforgiving sometimes, so I would be pleased if this was the reason.

Is your A/P still on accidentally maybe? That makes manual inputs sluggish

Definitely not that.

Flaps and approach speed? The control surfaces failing to effect things can be several things, but at 6 knots of wind I'm leaning towards your setup. The NGX is actually a very forgiving aircraft, which again points towards flaps/approach speeds, etc.

Lot's to learn when transitioning to a commercial airliner (if that's the case). If so, and if you're looking to speed up the transition, we routinely cover such things in shared cockpit in the Maddog MD-80. If you can fly the Maddog, you can pretty much fly just about any commercial airliner. It's fun, and allows both pilot and first officer to do everything together in real time while talking (voice) to one another. Plus the Maddog is a tremendous simulation.

PM me if you're interested!

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

which again points towards flaps/approach speeds

Nothing really outlandinshly wrong with my flap settings. I use flaps 30 (not full) with a light load.And long runway. Speed about 140 -150K an about a mile out. . Although a little off the below glide path, which I managed to correct. The speed got a little low over the threshold, as I was pre occupied with the yawing.

This was on VATSIM. I did record it with fraps so I will upload it on youtube when I get a chance. I did the whole flight, but my atc was so bad I didn't want to upload it.

Gotcha. It's a real mystery then, and that can be a lot of fun to help solve.

Can't wait to see the video!

Here's one for you. I did a landing on VATSIM, 28L at KSFO late yesterday. I've landed there many times, and the winds were calm. As I crossed the threshold, BOOM! I smacked the ground like the whale from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. WT..H. I had been at about 50 feet, six knots of wind from 2 points off the starboard bow if that much (had to get a little nautical, not sure why! LOL).

There was absolutely no reason for it, unless maybe my weather engine was in the middle of an update. Actually, that pretty much had to be it. Weird stuff happens.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I do not use any payware weather add-ons, but have experienced weird weather at KSFO. Between 500 and 300 ft, the aircraft would experience the tendency to float, and I would have to push the nose down in order to maintain descent and prevent the PAPI lights from turning all white. Then, at around 200 ft, the aircraft would suddenly start sinking. Reminded me of a microburst, even though I do not think they are simulated in FSX.

Yeah, I'm not sure how well even a third party weather engine would model the effect caused by the temperature difference between water and land, which is really close together for the runways at KSFO. I"ll have to look into that.

Even so, I've landed at that runway many times and never experienced that, so I'm guessing it was an update. Even MSFS weather updates if you have Real World Weather/15 minutes setup, so it might still be a possibility...

Really nice talking to you by the way. Love to know if you get it figured out.

Dave

Dave Hodges

By way... the reference to the Whale from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy seems to be even more suited to my landing, and I didn't realize how much so until I watched a clip on you tube! Too funny.

Dave Hodges

As I crossed the threshold, BOOM!

Unless you had a down draft of something like that. I will post my bad landing for amussment and speculation when I get a chance.

Well, it does look like your airspeed speed my friend, plus the initial course correction which looked like it bled your speed down below VRef. Couldn't tell if that was you or the aircraft nosing into the wind.

Noticed your differential brakes on for the entire flight, are you using Saitek RPs?

Dave Hodges

Well, it does look like your airspeed speed my friend, plus the initial course correction which looked like it bled your speed down below VRef. Couldn't tell if that was you or the aircraft nosing into the wind.

Noticed your differential brakes on for the entire flight, are you using Saitek RPs?

Yes I have these.

That is a really annyoing thing that has started happening. The speed was a bit low at times. Would that effect create yaws?