Sign in to follow this  
pered

What version should i take?

Hey guys,

Prepar3D has certainly impressed for now. And so, i'm planning on buying it. But what version should i take? The proffesional version or academic? You tell me!

Regards,

Pere Duran

According to discussion on the LM forum, the professional version is required if you're going to deploy the product commercially. The Academic version is less expensive and may be used by students, but has a watermark in the upper right corner. The developer license is for anyone who wishes to do development for P3D, although there's no requirement to distribute your work.

Personally, when version 2 comes out, I'll get a developer license for a short time to make sure everything works the way I expect on my system, then spring for the professional version. No one says I can't do development on the professional version. and it will be cheaper in the long run than paying by the month.

If you don't mind the watermark, then the academic version gives you a good price break.

I am a developer. It says so right on the retirement certificate I got after a long career as a professional programmer. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Version 2? I guess you would get it with an academic licence as an update right?

As for as I know, if you buy any version 1.x, you can upgrade to any newer version 1.x for free, but version 2 will be a new purchase. I haven't checked the LM forums lately, but I've never seen anything in the past about an upgrade 1.x to 2 discount. Of course, if you're using a developer license, paid by the month, you shouldn't see any effect unless they change the price.

Perhaps someone has heard different and can enlighten us.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Hi

I haven't heard anything about a version 2 from LM at all.

There are several people, who "think" about a version2, but in fact we are at version 1.4 now and I would guess, the next steps are V1.5 - V1.6 - V1.7...maybe V1.834...

There is the moment, when you have to decide what you want to spend for your hobby. OK, 199,- seems to be a lot. For me it was more or less 150Euro. I think that was acceptable, as P3D is a "living" software. There is a really big company behind that product and if you look at the update history: They really DO something. There IS support.

Let me help you with my recommendation:

Are you flying less than 5 times per month? By the academic version.

Are you flying at least several times per week: Go for the Pro version

btw: LM says: No Upgrade from academic to Pro is possible or planned.

Ralf

Hey guys,

Prepar3D has certainly impressed for now. And so, i'm planning on buying it. But what version should i take? The proffesional version or academic? You tell me!

Regards,

Pere Duran

Dooooood!

Does a bear sh*t in the woods?, Academic version !!!!Git yer haidoutcher butt!!!

Chas sez so!

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Let me help you with my recommendation:

Are you flying less than 5 times per month? By the academic version.

Are you flying at least several times per week: Go for the Pro version

btw: LM says: No Upgrade from academic to Pro is possible or planned.

Ralf

Alrighty then, pro version i guess... I'm a regular flyer, y'kow, PMDG NGX and Vatsim...

Regards,

Pere Duran

I don't even notice the Academic Watermark... Also make sure you get the FSX to Prepar3d Migrator tool. It makes life so much easier...

From my calculations there could be at the most two more upgrades before v2.0. Based on LM did announce 2.0 would be released in 2013 and on average there are updates every six months on average. So we might get to a v1.6 but I doubt it - I'd say maybe one more update next year otherwise it would be so close to their v2 release it would not be worth it.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I don't even notice the Academic Watermark

It's very noticeable in videos, especially if the aircraft is the 737 NGX.

Alrighty then, pro version i guess... I'm a regular flyer, y'kow, PMDG NGX

Since you'll want to upgrade to version 2 when it comes out, and that will likely be full price and some time in the next year, you might prefer to save some money and get the academic version until then. That is, unless you expect to post pics and videos, which will show the academic watermark. PMDG is not licensed to use with any version of Prepar3D, although people have gotten it to work. If you use it, just don't talk about it.

Hook

Larry Hookins