Sign in to follow this  
haztronic

FSX Reinstall Advice

Hi guys,

so unfortunately earlier my FSX just wouldn't start and I kept getting fatal error messages, and after two hours of troubleshooting nothing seemed to work so I am having to do what I hate most and that is re-installing the darn program. The reason I hate this like most of you will probably understand is because of the tedious addon installing, nothing is more boring than going through hours and hours of installing and trying to make FSX run like it did before with which for me was very good.

Anyway, do any of you have any recommendations for how I should do this re-install? I heard some people said you shouldn't install fsx under (ProgramFiles x86) but instead just in /C. Is this correct?

And do you have any tips for making quicker installs for all the addons etc?

Also I should state that in previous fsx installs I did use NickN's install guide and also the nvidiainspector settings.

Thanks a lot.

I like this install guide - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx. I also like Nick's too as that goes into common sense tweaking. I never reinstalled my MegaScenery and left it in its directory then went to the Scenery Library and added it. It's the only one you can do that with though as everything else requires a reinstall. Have fun!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Cheers Jim.

I've never seen that before from PMDG so I'll give it a go tomorrow. Agh the thought of re-installing every single addon is going to give me nightmares tonight :mad:

Just don't install all of your addons at once. Install then try, install then try, etc.

Yes I have tried that but to no avail. Guess it was something deeper inside FSX. FSgenesis will probably be the biggest hurdle because downloading those files from fsgenesis' website are very large and take forever to download.

Just don't install all of your addons at once. Install then try, install then try, etc.

Ok so your saying once I install an addon I should go into fsx, check it out, and if all is good then I can install the next one?

Yes I have tried that but to no avail. Guess it was something deeper inside FSX. FSgenesis will probably be the biggest hurdle because downloading those files from fsgenesis' website are very large and take forever to download.

Ok so your saying once I install an addon I should go into fsx, check it out, and if all is good then I can install the next one?

Yes, especially with scenery. Most of the corruption comes from scenery, but if you install everything all at once, you will never find a problem, if it arises.

Install as you fly. No need to install airports in Asia if you're going to fly in South America. I'm so tired of all the errors and reinstalls that I mostly fly FSX stock with very few addons installed.

This is by far one of the biggest usability problems with FSX. Besides the bugs that are alive in the original program, addons can create mayhem. How great it would be if FSX had an internal app store with automatic updates and installation of all addons...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!