Sign in to follow this  
roger33

Client configuration.

Hi all,

A fantastic programme but I am having some problems which are client related.

1 should I get weather on the client pc's? I have the client/server connection established.

2 this has come up before, I am unable to copy the client CAM file over. I can do it manually and have triple checked permissions. I have also shared the whole of drive c

3. I can't get aircraft view to work on the clients. I always get a cockpit view.

Any help would be much appreciated

Roger

Hi

Yes it all works ok once set up correctly. Have you gone through the Getting Started for Networked PCs guide very carefully. Sounds like a permissions problem, the clints need write access to the FSX installation folder.

Also right click on the your OpusFSX SERVER desktop shortcut icon (C:\OpusFSX\FSXSERVER.EXE) and select Properties, select the Compatibility tab,tick the checkbox to "Run as Administrator". Also set this option for FSXCLIENT.EXE on your optional client PCs.

You will need to set panel transparency on the clients for aircraft views, it is described in the manuals.

Regards

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I didn't expect a support response on a Sunday! Amazing and thank you.

The CAM file now transfers. I had a client crash and the share on drive C didn't stick. I re applied the share and that fixed the problem.

The weather update on the client, I'm still in the dark! Must be something I'm missing but what I dont know. I have set the FSX weather to clear skys as recommmended.

The Airplane view on the client I think is a misunderstanding on my part. I expected to see a view of the plane in the same way as is possible on the Server PC. What I get, (on the runway), is a shadow of the aircraft. I guess the pilot's view. Am I correct?

The settings you suggested I had already implemented

Once again thanks for your help,

Roger

Hi Roger

Sounds like you haven't set up your sharing and security permissions for Everyone on your client system. Both the drive and the FSX install folder must be shared and accessible to the FSXCLIENT program. Hence you have no client weather (the client cannot copy the weather file), and you have no external aircraft view (the client cannot prepare your aircraft.cfg files).

You should also have the all the standard views available, so with a cockpit view on display on the client, hitting the S key four times should cycle to the custom external aircraft view. But this will only happen when the CameraDefinition has been appended to the aircraft.cfg files.

Both systems must be shared with all security permissions set as per the guide.

Also your client must be Win 7 just in case you are trying to use XP, but I doubt if you would be able to connect the two systems then.

Stephen

Cheryl and Stephen,

As you both suggested, the problem related to sharing/ permissions. As soon as I shared the whole drive where OpusFSX Server was installed, the weather on the client updated correctly.

Thank you both for an excellent product and great support.

Roger

Unfortunately I was premature,

The weather is working perfectly on both systems. I still cannot get the Airplane view to work on a client. I change the "computer system" to the client on the Server, select the planes to apply the settings to. I select the Airplane radio button and "add new camera". What happens is the red info message top right in FSX always flashes up cockpit view, hence my problem. The Client CAM file transfers ok. I must have missed something but I am at a loss. I have checked sharing/advanced sharing permissions for the whole drive, FSX install folder, and opusFSX on both Server and Client. I guess I can't see the wood from the trees!

Regards, Roger

Hi Roger

After you click on the Save All Cameras button to save your changes the software will automatically update the system and as a result you may notice the default camera view, if any, will be displayed. If you have selected one of your client systems then the new camera configuration file will be transferred onto your client system prior to reconfiguring all of the client system's aircraft.cfg files.

I assume you are you saving the cameras OK if the file transfers. Are you assigning the aircraft type to the camera view and do you have that aircraft on the client?

There is an example in the Live Camera guide for setting up a client view. Have you assigned a key or button to the view and then used that key to display the view or is it set up as a default view? Is it a windowed view?

Another useful test to check you have a correct view setup is to load your flight then use the 'S' key to cycle through your view types. You should see (in the top right-hand corner) the following view types ...

Virtual Cockpit -> Outside View -> Tower View -> Aircraft View -> Custom View OpusFSX External View

before it then cycles back to the VC view.

Regards

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply.

I never see any view other than Cockpit unless I cycle using the S key. The Custem View OpusFSX External View I do not get on the Client. If I carry out the procedure on the Server all is fine. If I delete both client CAM files from the Server and Client to start from scratch, as soon as I select the client computer system, the view jumps to cockpit view 2D. Even when I then select Airplane and add camera it stays in cockpit 2d view. I'm aware it's me that's missing something but I cannot figure it out. I am not a PC novice.

To answer your specific questions:

I am not using window views anywhere

I have assigned a key to the view and have tried default and no default modes

I am not getting the custom opusFSX external view on the client ever,

I have the same aircraft on both client and server and have allocated the camera to them.

Perhaps my aircraft.cfg files are messed up?

Regards,

Roger

Sounds like sharing and security permissions (for Everyone) need setting for the FSX folder on the client, may need to do the whole drive. Also check you have selected the correct sim type and folder on the client's Configuration dialog, OpusFSX does not provide error messages if these are wrong on the client, only on the server.

Regards

Cheryl

Hi cheryl,

I can affirm sharing and permissions were set up correctly for both Drive C and "sim" which the install directory for FSX on the client.

I will not waste any more of your time on this.

I'll have to accept the feature does not work on my system for some unknown reason.

Anyway thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Roger

No problem Roger, probably just something simple missing.

For correct operation your views should cycle (S key) between,

VC - Spot - Tower - Aircraft - External

You should also make sure you have not hidden any of these views by setting their CycleHidden field to Yes. For correct operation each of these view types must be set as CycleHidden=No.

Before disabling EZCA to test Live Camera in Opus, the EZCA configuration utility must be run and the "Restore" function selected to restore all camera views to FSX default, otherwise EZCA camera definitions are not removed from the aircraft config files.

If you haven't tried it already I can only suggest going through the example in the manual which may disclose the problem. Apart from that it is just a sharing or permissions issue normally that causes a problem.

Regards

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I got it working. Your reply gave me a clue. I didn't know where the CycleHidden parameter was located but found it and noted there was no opusFSX External definition in the camera.cfg file. Anyway I copied and pasted from the server, deleted all the incorrect external client views and I have been able to create a couple of airplane views and save them. I am sure you're right about the permissions etc but all settings look correct. They are not exactly difficult to check! If ever get to the bottom of it I'll let you know in case it crops up in the future.

Thanks again,

Roger