Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

I'm Desperate...Need MCP Combo Help

Suddenly, my MCP Combo (standard version, not Boeing) will not work. All the lights are on, the two screens show the proper info, LINDA reports EVERYTHING o.k., looking good etc. I can assign buttons and knobs with LINDA and they are saved.

So far I have:

*Switched the MCP Combo to different ports on my PC

*Moved the Combo to an external, powered hub

*Changed from USB power to External Power

*Shut down and restarted FSX and LINDA

*Restarted the PC

*Tested with default and add-on aircraft

ALL failed.

When this first occurred a few days ago, just moving USB ports or switching power set thongs back to normal. But today it is completely non functional even though everything checks out with LINDA.

I see two small buttons on the back: one says RESET and I cannot recall what the other says. Maybe I missed it, but the manual doesn't mention it in the troubleshooting section so I have not tried pushing either of them yet.

Does the above sound like a problem with the MCP combo or a communication glitch with LINDA?

I will be very grateful for any help.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Hi Neal

Suddenly, my MCP Combo (standard version, not Boeing) will not work. All the lights are on, the two screens show the proper info, LINDA reports EVERYTHING o.k., looking good etc. I can assign buttons and knobs with LINDA and they are saved.

I do not understand it clearly. You say it works everything ... and you say it does not work?

What happens exactly?

Does the above sound like a problem with the MCP combo or a communication glitch with LINDA?

hard to say.

Best Solution would be to install the VRInsight software and try if that works.

You can press the buttons on the back, doesn't hurt. Look what happens.

Also be sure to have the Combo NOT on an unpowered USB hub!

Maybe try also different USB cables.

Have you set the power switch on the front right?

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pretty sure MCP Combo requires a powered USB hub and should not be run on USB power alone.

Also, double check your USB ports with another device (mouse or something) to verify your USB ports are still good.

just my 2 cents

good luck, I was actually looking at getting one of those myself. :rolleyes:

Jeff

To clarify: I have been using this MPC Combo for a year at least. I bought it because LINDA came along to make things easier for guys like me. During all that time it has worked perfectly both on USB power from the PC and USB power from A D-Link Hub. Some months ago I switched to external power to free up some space on the D-Link. Still worked as it should.

Now it powers up as always, get the screens that say "SerialFP v2.50 MCP-Combi etc below" and " and the COM window The same with "Radio Panel" below.

When FSX loads so does LINDA

On LINMDA CONFIGURATION CHECKLIST page there are three green "everything is ok" for JoySt/HID, MCP Combo, and FSX/FSUIPC

On Setup MCP combo page Type is MCP1 Port is Com 3, fsuipc version 4.859 ok, fsiipc4.ini Looking good

[VRInsight] found, ok

x=Com 3 found, ok

According to those checks it SHOULD work buttons , switches, headings, etc but nothing can be controlled in the cockpit. Not a single action can be performed using the combo :-).

Been using this thing with LINDA for so long I fear that withdrawal symptoms are in my future unless this is fixed soon

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

ok,

what do you see, if you open up the LINDA GUI on the joysticks input page?

If you press your joystick, is there any reaction?

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

I can record any of the Yoke or throttle buttons with LINDA and they work perfectly in the Plane. Obviously the problem is with the MCP Combo (correct?). LINDA is doing what it is supposed to do.

Maybe Uninstall the Combo and clean the registry then reinstall?

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Most likely (this is a guess) all of your USB ports have been assigned and reassigned over time and your PC is confused. You can download a FREE utility called USBDeview (available in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors depending on which version of Windows you run.) The link above is for the 64-bit version. Unzip it and run it. Select ALL the USB connections on your PC and then click UNINSTALL, (See photos below) Reboot your PC. When it restarts, it will rediscover and re-assign every USB device that is currently connected and POWERED UP..

This includes you USB Keyboard and Mouse which will stop working when you uninstall all USB devices, along with external USB drives and things like your MCP Combo.

yplbideowo8nq76bpnub.jpg

Many folks are not aware that when you unplug a USB device and move it to a DIFFERENT USB PORT on your PC, the remnants of the "OLD" USB port assignment remain in your registry. Over time your system can become overloaded with USB assignments and then you may experience USB-devices not operating as expected.

so38uqbk1ghyd1n3wumh.jpg

This is MY GUESS for what could be happening with you. Images above show how to select ALL USB devices on your system and then uninstall All of them. Upon rebooting the PC - all USB devices that are connected and powered up will re-assign to their CURRENT ports (not any OLD ones). Be sure you have the MCP Power Brick connected (supplied by VRinsight. DO NOT rely on a POWERED USB HUB to power your MCP Combo!. DO NOT connect your COMBO to a powered hub -ONLY connect to an actual USB 2.0 (NOT USB 3.0) port on your PC.

VRI says ALL VRI devices (hardware) should be plugged DIRECTLY into your PC USB port, NOT a hub! REgardless of whether you have a powered hub, and regardless of the fact that perhaps this worked for you once upon a time, the recommendation is USB 2.0 PORT -ONLY- Never a HUB and Never a USB 3.0 port. I got that directly from VRinsight support forum.

I would guess you have FSX starting and have Linda set to auto-start whenever you start FSX. If this is the case, then LINDA will grab your MCP combo instead of using VRiSim to do it.

Visit VRiSim Download Page for the latest version of VRiSim.exe and the drivers/modules to control your VRiSim hardware. Back up your system before making any changes.

You only need 2 pieces of software for the MCP Combo -

The main VRiSim module plus the MCP Combo or MCP Combo II Control Modules. I included the 2 pieces I think YOU need. The Combo II is either BOEING or AIRBUS. From your post, I believe you have the "first" version of the MCP Combo. Also, drop an email to VRInsight support on their forum.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

My thanks to all of you for helpful inputs re this problem. It isn't fixed yet but I will have another go at it after dinner. A special thanks to you, Robert McD for all the time you gave this problem. I am definitely guilty of changing USB ports a lot. So the next go will follow your input. Your explanation might also explain why my keyboard occasionally fails to function until it is unplugged/replugged.

Regards to you all....Aren't flight simmers a great bunch :friends:

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

You're welcome Neal. I had the same problem and this is a part of how I solved it - so I'm 'hopeful' you will be successful.

If you need the 32-bit version of USBDeview you can download it from Nirsoft.net. It depends if you run Windows 7 (or some other flavor of Windows) in 64 or 32-bit mode. FSX itself is 32-bit ONLY, but the OPERATING SYSTEM could be 64 bit or 32.

Please let us know once you have succeeded. You can email tech support at VRINSIGHT at the following address:

Or you can join their free support forum.

Their forum has a wealth of information and is sorted by DEVICE, so you can go to the MCP Combo area to read up on what others have encountered and how they solved it. Their support moderator is a guy who goes by the name Andy Digital. Very helpful and excellent command of English.

Even though you plan to use LINDA to run your MCP combo, you should fire up VRiSim.exe at least ONCE to determine what Virtual Com Port your MCP is assigned to.

You may need to invoke the help of Andy Digital on the VRI forums if your issues are not solved immediately with the recommendation I posted here.

The next step would be to remove all of the VRI Virtual Com Ports and update your VRiSim drivers. The September 27, 2012 software updates I linked you to in the prior post from me should sort you out. If asked if you want to install the drivers, say YES.

Your sequence for all of this would be:

1. Do a complete system backup

2. Uninstall all USB assignments using USBDeview as I mentioned earlier.

Be sure MCP Combo is plugged into USB 2.0 port on your PC not a hub.

Be sure MCP Combo is powered by supplemental VRinsight power adapter ONLY - Never a powered hub.

REBOOT

3. Start LINDA and disable the MCP Combo within Linda (you can turn this back on later.

4. Download the Sept 27, 2012 Software from the links I gave you earlier. Choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, launch the BASE software first (VRiSim) and install it. Then launch and install the MCP Combo module installer. If asked if you want to install drivers, always say YES.

REBOOT

Fire up FSX

Fire up VRiSim.exe (it's in the VRinsight folder)

It should "discover" you MCP Combo and report what Virtual Com Port it is assigned to - take note of this com port assignment and be sure it matches when you reactivate the MCP Combo to be controlled by LINDA.

Try flying a flight with the VRisim software controlling the MCP. If successful, shut down FSX, close VRiSim, and then start up Linda and re-activate Linda control of the MCP Combo.

Best of luck!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Things do NOT look good :(. I followed your outline Robert and learned that I had AT LEAST 100 USB ports. I removed them all then got the keybd and mouse operating, rebooted and was feeling good about things. Went through the rest without problem.

When I loaded VRiSim it could not find the combo. Reinstalled it again after confirming that it is the latest but still "Device(s) NOT found..."

There is SOME interaction taking place: The MCP combo screens both have the normal startup messages (v2.50, Serial no, etc) However when I click on VRiSim to begin its search both screens change.

The MCP screen shows SPD------HDG ALT and under them 100------00 10000 respectively

The COM panel shows Radio Panel and Select Function below.

Dials or buttons have no effect on either window.

I pressed the "Reset" and "Prog" buttons but they do nothing except set the windows back to the standard message.

At this point I am completely stumped...cannot think of anything else to try.

Maybe I can get Andy Digital to review this thread looking for something that is being missed.

In any event...Many, Many thanks for the time and effort provided. If nothing else at least there are no longer 100+ USB "ports" on this machine.

Regards to all

Neal H

Btw...I just discovered that usbdeview and FTclean are in the Drivers section of the VRinsight folder. ..may not be current...I didn't unzip either.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

The MCP screen shows SPD------HDG ALT and under them 100------00 10000 respectively

When the panel is in the state described above are you sure the SPD dial does not make the SPD display increase as you turn the SPD dial to the right? Also as you turn the dial the RX light should flash too.

If nothing is working or making the RX light flash then you need contact support and ask for further assistance and they will advise you how to proceed.

This is the email address to contact support.

TechVRi.jpg

Robert if you still can, please edit you earlier post with the email address to tech support and remove it. If you don't obfuscate the address somehow (I use a picture of the address) in public forums you get spam bots sending all sorts of junk to the address.

Cheers, Andy.

Thank you Andy .... I just checked and Neither the transmit nor receive light is flashing. Hadn't noticed that before. Still no change when any dials turned or buttons pushed.

Looks like its time to contact support :mellow: .

Thanks again all

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Things do NOT look good :(. I followed your outline Robert and learned that I had AT LEAST 100 USB ports. I removed them all then got the keybd and mouse operating, rebooted and was feeling good about things. Went through the rest without problem.

When I loaded VRiSim it could not find the combo. Reinstalled it again after confirming that it is the latest but still "Device(s) NOT found..."

There is SOME interaction taking place: The MCP combo screens both have the normal startup messages (v2.50, Serial no, etc) However when I click on VRiSim to begin its search both screens change.

I pressed the "Reset" and "Prog" buttons but they do nothing except set the windows back to the standard message.

At this point I am completely stumped...cannot think of anything else to try.

Maybe I can get Andy Digital to review this thread looking for something that is being missed.

In any event...Many, Many thanks for the time and effort provided. If nothing else at least there are no longer 100+ USB "ports" on this machine.

Regards to all

Neal H

Btw...I just discovered that usbdeview and FTclean are in the Drivers section of the VRinsight folder. ..may not be current...I didn't unzip either.

FT Clean is a utility to remove the Virtual Serial Ports. Ask VRinsight Tech Support for guidance on using it.. and then you might want to manually install the Virtual Serial Port Drivers. Note that the Virtual Serial Ports are completely DIFFERENT from a "COM PORT". Your situation clearly indicates that advanced help and guidance are required. Andy Digital or Mr. Kook from VRi are you two best resources. Andy Digital may be able to put you on the right trail. Interesting you had 100 Com ports assigned. No doubt that was worth cleaning out. Hang on to the USBDeview utility - it's a great housekeeping tool!

Best wishes,

Robert

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Follow-up: I just installed the combo on a different PC. Same results as above so it must be a sick MCP Combo.

Thirteen months old and betcha the warranty just expired. Next step: Tech Support

Regards to all

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Sorry to hear that Neal! Hope that VRi is able to sort you out!

Robert.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg