Sign in to follow this  
russianspd

Annoying Cirrus/High Overcast layer

I like what the program does and I am very fond of the instant loading of the METARS. The ONE issue I have been dealing with is an high altitude overcast cloud that follows my plane.

I did a flight from LAX-SMF and this cloud would not go away. I tinkered with the settings and was able to somewhat get rid of a portion of the problem by turning off the cirrus clouds.

Here's the METAR for my home airport

Weather At Current Location [30,30] 1 METARS

MET QNH: 1017 mb, 30.06 in, Temp: 27/11, Vis: 32000m, Wind: 000/0, Upper 045/63

Here is a picture of the cloud:

dOHEf.png

This was taken at my local airport, the sky outside is completely clear say for this false overcast layer.

Here's another example at KSAN. The METAR says it's clear but yet again, this alienship layer.

6Ptir.png

Aside from this one issue, I think this program definitely outdoes the other top competitors.

Thanks

It is called the cloud of doom.

From the Faq available at the Official F1 Opus forum.

I get a consistent static cloud layer that forms above the aircraft

Make sure you have disabled your 3rd party weather engines and in addition disabled/removed all their visibility, haze and fog effects. You must replace the cirrus_overcast03.bmp file within your flight simulator's Texture folder as follows,

1. Navigate to your simulator's texture folder, either <FSX>\Texture or <Prepar3D>\Texture

2. Rename your cirrus_overcast03.bmp file to cirrus_overcast03_foggy.bmp.

3. Truncate our cirrus_overcast03_Opus_1024.bmp filename to cirrus_overcast03.bmp.

4. Restart your FSX or P3D simulator.

If you still have problems then repeat the above exercise using our 512 bitmap.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hm, I have never seen this, I use REXE textures, does that eliminate this phenomena?

23.png

Fixed. Thank you very much.

Hm, I have never seen this, I use REXE textures, does that eliminate this phenomena?

Actually. I compiled my route in REX Essential Plus and loaded the textures and then started FSX and then OPUS and had the issue with the cloud. So for me, this came WITH the rex textures. But the solution worked.

Actually. I compiled my route in REX Essential Plus and loaded the textures and then started FSX and then OPUS and had the issue with the cloud. So for me, this came WITH the rex textures. But the solution worked.

Where did you get the REX Essential Plus?

Ok, thanks, I'll check it out. It has been overcast and fog were I have been flying lately so I guess I did not get a chance to observe this.

23.png

Ok, thanks, I'll check it out. It has been overcast and fog were I have been flying lately so I guess I did not get a chance to observe this.

Can you confirm the METAR for your area reporting clear? If it is reporting clear skies and you are getting the follow me cloud than the above solution should work for you as it did for me.

Where did you get the REX Essential Plus?

lol sorry i've been readin all day about PLUS and it's coming out. Had it on the mind. I am using REX Essentials.

It is not the REX/FEX/AS2012 textures that cause this, it is the associated weather engines. In AS2012 you must un tick fog layer, before using Opus.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Oki, now I get it, I never used the REXE WX, just poured in the textures and let Opus rip, did not start REXE anymore after that ;)

23.png