Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The Leaning bug...

Is there a know fix for the leaning bug in FSX, fs9, ms flight?

I am referring to the fact that on reciprocating engined aircraft, and the higher you go the higher this problem is evident, when you start leaning the FF initially starts increasing, then, after a while, it correctly decreases as it should have right from the start.

This is less evident at lower altitudes FLs, but above, say, 6000' it is easy to notice.

Is there a fix?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I thought you didn't need to lean a glider? :lol:

Seriously, a lot depends on the aircraft model. The default's don't do leaning too well but various payware can be right on, with the EGT fluctuation as expected also.

vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Is this actually a bug?

If you're flying high enough that full rich causes rough performance (for example), the engine will be turning lower RPMs than if you have the mixture leaned for maximum power. As you start leaning the engine from full rich, you should be getting higher RPMs and I'd expect a higher fuel flow. Then, when you continue leaning to get best economy, the power and fuel flow will reduce while EGT will increase.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On a reciprocating type engine:

- Leaning allways reduces FF;

- If prop RPMs can be set, reducing PROP RPM increases MP and reduces FF, while increasing PROP RPM reduces MP and increases FF

- At a given power setting, reducing PROP RPM by itself will not increase speed!!!

MSFS 9, x, and FLIGHT all share this ( an other... ) bugs / limitation in as far as prop engine modelling goes, with MS FLIGHT being probably the worst - there is ZERO variation of MP when you reduce / icrease prop rpm, and on the Maule you get a kick in the &@($* if you reduce prop RPM while in climb power :-) A boost!!!!

This said, I am yet to find out if either Milviz or A2A found a way around these core limitations. I will most probably soon but Milviz B55 and A2A's Cub :-). The rest of my FSX fleet is rather sparse, but very good IMHO:

- Real Air Scout/Dechatlon/Citabria

- Real Air SF260

- Real Air Duke ( not the turbine... yet)

- Flight1 Pilatus PC-12

- LevelD 767

- Aerosoft Twin Otter X ( don't find it that great... )

- Aerosoft Discus X ( very nice )

It's certainly very difficult because it requires external code to drive the FM, and as far as I know it can't be done just for one part of it - either it's the all thing that is driven externaly (like some do with ESP or P3D) or nothing...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

- Leaning allways reduces FF;

- If prop RPMs can be set, reducing PROP RPM increases MP and reduces FF, while increasing PROP RPM reduces MP and increases FF

- At a given power setting, reducing PROP RPM by itself will not increase speed!!!

I was talking about a fixed pitch propeller in my post above.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;