Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

GTX 680n with 8xS & 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

I need a favor.

I'm considering an EVGA 680 and would like to know how well the gtx 680 performs in FSX with 8xS & 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling when flying in heavy clouds.

With my gtx 480 I get stutters. 8xS & 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling is acceptble, but I woul like to run an 4x SGSS because I like how it looks.

Thanks.

Josse

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I am running SLI EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB cards. I have not noticed a major difference between the two settings but I can say the cards handle either setting with aplomb.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I need a favor.

I'm considering an EVGA 680 and would like to know how well the gtx 680 performs in FSX with 8xS & 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling when flying in heavy clouds.

With my gtx 480 I get stutters. 8xS & 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling is acceptble, but I woul like to run an 4x SGSS because I like how it looks.

Thanks.

Josse

By looking at your system specs, you are just a GTX680 and faster RAM away from FS nirvana. Get the 680 and try to get some 2133+ RAM and you will be set.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

By looking at your system specs, you are just a GTX680 and faster RAM away from FS nirvana. Get the 680 and try to get some 2133+ RAM and you will be set.

Thanks for your input!

I had not considered RAM as an upgrade, but at these prices I'm considering these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226199

and this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130771

My motherboard is so GOOD that I can even upgrade to an Ivy 3770K. But, will it even matter?

I would really appreciate an honest test flight is heavy clouds using the PMDG 737NGX into NYC's JFK with AA settings of 8xS, 4x SGSS, & ANIS filtering of 8. I have a feeling that the gtx 680 will handle this AA setting, but I just need confirmation from those with a gtx 680.

I decided to skip a gtx 580 upgrade because I did NOT think that I would see a worthy improvement in performance. I'm starting to feel more confident that the gtx 680 will give me a nice performance boost everywhere I like to fly.

Thanks again!

Jose

I'm pretty sure there won't be a GPU capable of running 4xSGSS + a couple of cloud layers anytime soon. Could be wrong though, haven't tested Kepler myself

I'm pretty sure there won't be a GPU capable of running 4xSGSS + a couple of cloud layers anytime soon. Could be wrong though, haven't tested Kepler myself

I think the next gen GK110 GPU will be able to handle it...

I have NOT seen in "written form" that the gtx 680 can run 4xSGSS in clouds. The gtx 780 will be out in April of 2013. I hope I don't have to wait that long.

I am running SLI EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB cards. I have not noticed a major difference between the two settings but I can say the cards handle either setting with aplomb.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan,

The only difference is that in certain airports there will be less shimmer. I have certain airport sceneries (I'm not going to name the companies) that shimmer, especially at night. It's a yellow shimmer that is annoying to see. However, 4xSGSS removes the shimmer completely. Other than that I'm happy with my current setup.

How does one card perform for you in clouds with 4xSGSS? Thanks.

Hmm... I will have to do some testing with just 1 card I guess <_< . Frankly the idea of testing and reporting results gets a bit hairy when you consider that the variables that hardware differences inject make side by side comparison impossible. Example: My cards are running very happily in PCIe 3.0 (I know this doesn't affect FSX performance) but this is not something all GTX 680 owners have been able to get their SB or SB-E processors to do. I run a stable 4.7GHZ OC... I noticed many SB-E X79 owners stick to lower OC's. I will give it a shot however.

As it seems you are in a certain price range for a card I'd recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130824

The FTW+ has a better cooler, mosfets, and PCB according to EVGA (shared with the Classified but missing some of the power phase management junk) and the 670 isn't really that far off of the standard 680. OC'ability of the FTW+ is very good from what I read on the boards. They gave me a little clinic due to the issue I ran into with Newegg sending the LE instead of the standard.

No way you're gonna run 4xSGSS + 8xS. I can't run it with my GTX 670, not in clouds at least. Even 2xSGSS sometimes creates big FPS fluctuations so don't expect much from it. And a GTX 680 is not gonna do better than a 670. I have it set to 8xSS, I barely notice the difference anyway, and no stuttering.

Hmm... I will have to do some testing with just 1 card I guess <_< . Frankly the idea of testing and reporting results gets a bit hairy when you consider that the variables that hardware differences inject make side by side comparison impossible. Example: My cards are running very happily in PCIe 3.0 (I know this doesn't affect FSX performance) but this is not something all GTX 680 owners have been able to get their SB or SB-E processors to do. I run a stable 4.7GHZ OC... I noticed many SB-E X79 owners stick to lower OC's. I will give it a shot however.

As it seems you are in a certain price range for a card I'd recommend:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130824

The FTW+ has a better cooler, mosfets, and PCB according to EVGA (shared with the Classified but missing some of the power phase management junk) and the 670 isn't really that far off of the standard 680. OC'ability of the FTW+ is very good from what I read on the boards. They gave me a little clinic due to the issue I ran into with Newegg sending the LE instead of the standard.

Dan,

This should not take too long.

Just disable SLI

Set Inspector to 8xS, 4x Sparse Grid, Annis to 8.

Open FSX

Choose KJFK

Choose the 737ngx or Mustang

Choose Gray & Raining (You can also custom with more overcast)

Set Weather to 100 miles

Then go fly. Climb into the clouds and pan arround. Check if you get stutters. Note fps.

The best way would be to complete a flight just to see if there are any unusual artifacts. But, I'll take whatever you can do.

THANKS!

BTW, thanks for the video card suggestion.

According to tests with another user here, GTX680 doesn't perform any better concerning 4xSGSS in heavy clouds than GTX580. We did some compares with my cloudtest. That being said, I don't believe there will be much boost with 780. It all depends which way Nvidia is going.

Also, I have 19fps (without NGX) in my cloudtest with 2xSGSS, which has 5 OVC layers of 2048 DTX5 cumulus clouds.

Now, pull the test from my homepage, and start it up, pressing S once once you are in the cockpit and compare.

Hey All,

Not sure whether I actually achieved 8xS+4SGSS greatness. My inspector settings are:

8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS]

4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

AF: 16X

I just flew into KBUF with the Carenado C90 and some weather (see METAR and TAF below). I have FSDT KBUF, all of Word Not Allowed's display settings and got about 30 FPS. Stutters only presented on a REXE+OD weather upload but otherwise the approach and landing were very smooth. KBUF had UT2 traffic running at a heavy setting as usual. I am going to leave my settings at this as it seems I have found "The Balance" and get amazing performance. Last night I flew the NGX out of KFLL on my way to KATL and the only place I saw stuttering was on my way into KATL with a gaggle of traffic. Weather was OPUS at the time with REXE+OD textures. I then took the Flight1 MD80 Pro from KATL to KORD (FSDT) and saw great virtually stutter free performance. I updated drivers to 310.54 today and have not seen an issue with FSX performance since. I make NO CLAIMS about general performance and can only attest to the smoothness I am getting now with this rig.

I hope this helps guide some of the decisions of the OP.

KBUF 130354Z 22021G28KT 5SM RA BR BKN017 OVC028 05/03 A3016 RMK AO2 PK WND 23028/0348 SLP215 P0007 T00500028 $

KBUF 130314Z 1303/1324 24015G25KT P6SM -RA FEW010 BKN025

FM130700 24013KT P6SM -SHRASN SCT015 OVC025

FM130800 26012KT P6SM VCSH BKN035

FM131500 28010KT P6SM BKN035

GTX680 doesn't perform any better concerning 4xSGSS in heavy clouds than GTX580

For goodness sake look in the GPUMark Thread! Yes it does! :lol:

For goodness sake look in the GPUMark Thread! Yes it does! :lol:

Ok, I just read through the thread.

It seems it is better, though I only wonder why in my initial tests it was not. I don't remember any more if it was 2x sgss or 4x, but it was definitely not better. FPS were the same. I tested the heavy clouds situation.

Anyway, I will input slighly changed section into my guide.

Sorry for not reading this earlier, as my Avsim correspondence and involvement is really big :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk