Sign in to follow this  
severniae

Incredible...

Afternoon all...

Something hit me today. I looked outside of my office window, and gazed up to the clouds and my first thought was 'Goodness, I'm getting some very high frames for this level of detail'

It was the first time that after many months of tweaking, purchasing new hardware, tweaking more, getting some higher detail fancy graphics addon - tweaking more and finally getting to a lovely, smooth stable sim, that I've been able to go outside and think 'wow, this really looks like FSX'

I've always viewed FSX as a poor approximation of a real world until now, with the latest stuff coming out of the likes of PMDG, ORBX and HiFi we're getting a cracking top notch sim. All those who say otherwise are plain wrong!

People, when did you first get to a state when you thought - 'Finally, it's perfect!' - share pics too!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

People, when did you first get to a state when you thought - 'Finally, it's perfect!'

Don't think there will be many takers there.

I've been there for long and i don't understand how so many people have problems with FSX. It's simply amazing nowadays with the great weather engines, great graphics and excellent performance. Gimme more planes and sceneries!!!!

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I think I'll rephrase my first statement - Looking out the window doesn't actually seem to be in a high enough resolution - or maybe I need glasses! haha!

I've been there for long and i don't understand how so many people have problems with FSX. It's simply amazing nowadays with the great weather engines, great graphics and excellent performance. Gimme more planes and sceneries!!!!

That's the problem, we'll always have those that moan.... But I think people need to realise that what we're doing today with a 6 year old application is staggering!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

For years now I've caught myself driving down the road thinking how on certain days the clouds look like the ones in FS! That's crazy. Yes it is.

I've been there for long and i don't understand how so many people have problems with FSX

Maybe you don't understand, but I had plenty of problems.

Right now I'm struggling with lost autogen In Earth Simulations scenerys after installing France VFR. 2 days ago everything was perfect, then I bought a new addon and everything went to crap :huh: Hate FSX when I have problems, love It when everything works as It should :mellow:

Don't think there will be many takers there.

Second that ;) The tweaking is a hobby within the hobby, some like to tweak others like to fly, and a bunch of us tweak a little and fly with "what ya' brung". I have reconciled with my old hog, when Haswell comes I will have no more time for flying :) :)

23.png

Very True!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

When I have accurately sized autogen trees, realistic looking custom autogen buildings throughout my UK photoscenery, 0.6m per pixel consistently coloured textures of England and Wales, a colour upgrade for the rather poor looking, washed out photoscenery textures around Glasgow, perfect framerates everywhere with AI @ 100%, and no OOM errors whatsoever.........then, and only then will I start thinking that FSX is anywhere close to perfect.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yep, I love it but am always wanting more. My psychiatrist is helping me get over this.

Bob

For years now I've caught myself driving down the road thinking how on certain days the clouds look like the ones in FS! That's crazy. Yes it is.

Haha, I thought it was just me! I was doing that yesterday!

I was doing it yesterday, while walking the dog! ...... There was this weird, barge-shaped cloud that looked just like a crappy 2D FS9 cloud actually lol!

And it always makes me smile when people refer to the new incoming Intel micro-processor called "Haswell" .... I'd love to know where MS got the inspiration for the name, because I live in a totally unexceptional, ex-mining village in North East England called Haswell..... I'm pretty sure they never named it after this village lol! :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell,_County_Durham

Well my problem is not performance itself but random OOM's and crashes that can happen sometimes without logical explanation. Most of the time everything goes fine, but when this happens it's extremely annoying. Also after I updated my motherboard I get some screen tearing or whatever that's called, especially with taxiways, buildings and runways of addon airports and I have no idea how to fix it.

It's not that FSX would be that bad overall, but many of these problems are so random and hard to track down compared to problems with regular games.

But I'm not complaining, still FSX gives me better experience overall than any other flightsim has ever given.

Sorry can't agree, there remain too many glitches and compromises for me to praise FSX. Can either hope some smart programmers sort them out or we get a proper, new, up to date sim(which we know isn't going to happen).

For me, DX10 has been the change--graphics look better to me but the fluidity of flight is so critical for immersion. I learned that often fps 30+ in Dx9 was not smoother than 20-24fps in Dx10. I know there are some airport texture issues still, but for most of the places I fly, it has been a completely new lease on life for FSX. Because of the work of a few folks who have found workarounds on some of the texture issues, it's actually a pretty simple thing to try out. Only took me about 30-40 minutes to get everything set up and there is an easy "how-to" document to walk you through everything. And of course, it's easy enough to go back to dx9, though from the posters in the dx10 forum, I see every day new folks coming on who see so much change that they say "never goin' back"!

With the advent of more flight planning tools, dx10, Opus and other weather engines / texture programs, and some great aircraft in the pipe, FSX is looking like it's got a lot left to give.

Alex Malek

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10