Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

The old AI landing lights halo problem

I have been searching both the forums and the web to see if there is any more developments in the elimination of AI aircraft landing and looking like a giant illuminated balloon coming in to land.

I think the last fix i saw was in June 2010.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Look in the file library here, there is a simple .bmp file fix you can over-write your current lights with and it works great...

Very welcome mate.. When I replaced mine i was quite impressed with the new look lights :-)

Much easier to distinguish the lights rather than just a blur of white/red.

Look in the file library here, there is a simple .bmp file fix you can over-write your current lights with and it works great...

Can you link the file or give the name of the file? Typing in "lights" in the search box gives too many results.

Here it is AJ

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=halo&CatID=root&Go=Search fsx_lights.zip License: Freeware Added: 3rd June 2010, 22:43:55 Downloads: 6191 Author: Michael Swannick Size: 52kb

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

No problem at all Richard

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I have tried this "fix" before using this recommend file and I found that it indeed reduced the light balloon or blob as I like to call it, but I also found to my dismay that with the "fix" enacted, it reduced the visibility to almost zero of the blue taxiway lights. Does anyone else also find this to be the case?

This fix also negatively affects some add on aircraft landing lights such as PMDG MD-11.

Just wanted to re-visit this and say I made a mistake...

The fsx_lights is NOT the one I used... I thought it was, but it isnt... I installed the fsx_lights only to find the lights are so dull they might as well not be there..

The one I actually used, I found it on my memory stick, is called "Airportlightenvlite"

You simply paste the new "halo.BMP" file over your existing one and enable "bloom" and your done.

Just as bright, only they look a lot better, and easier to distinguish one from another..

Just wanted to re-visit this and say I made a mistake...

The fsx_lights is NOT the one I used... I thought it was, but it isnt... I installed the fsx_lights only to find the lights are so dull they might as well not be there..

The one I actually used, I found it on my memory stick, is called "Airportlightenvlite"

You simply paste the new "halo.BMP" file over your existing one and enable "bloom" and your done.

Just as bright, only they look a lot better, and easier to distinguish one from another..

Can you provide a link for that program or was it payware?

Does it eliminate or at least reduce the light blob effect that you get when viewing an AC from a distance?

Erm, good question... I had it on my memory stick, along with loads of other bits and bobs, but I think it came from the file library here.

There are 2 versions:

Airportlightenv

Airportlightenvlite

And yes, it does... I also bought and have shockwave 3D redux installed.