Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 11/8 Glacier Highway Tunnel

Cool. Don't think we've had a tunnel before. Something odd, however. Microsoft's site shows the XP for this one as 200. Don't know about that. Guess we'll have to find the cache to see.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I decided to go after this cache and found that this is one you probably want to walk to. I flew to it (very short flight) and decided not to try to get it from the air.

The picture looks like it would be easy but what you don't see is all the trees flanking the side of the road. Made landing impossible with a crosswind.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I may have more trees than you do. There was no way you could even fly down that road from what I could see.

I agree about walking. I overflew it once, then came back and followed the road. I was able to get low enough to get the aerocache, then pulled up but ended up stalling out and crashing. I coulda done a loop, even in the Icon I was flying, but I'm out of practice for aerobatics.

The 200 points did seem odd, and was commented upon in the Steam forums. Heck, it's not like any of us don't already have Experience Grinder times 2 or 3. Or almost 6 in my case. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sweet, this one looks cool.

Do they have all the aerocaches for alaska in the drop down or is it just AOTD?

Havent logged in since 2 weekends ago.

The sole Alaska aerocache doesn't show in the drop-down unless you have it set to All. If you set it to Alaska, nothing shows. Not a major problem.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Got it, and landed the Cub in the strip nearby.... :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The only thing missing is the tunnel,ha.

I did it tonight in the Navy Icon, this is shortly after the runway. It was beautiful, I liked the way the moon reflected in the water.

2012-11-7_20-15-48-866.jpg

This must be the Tunnel to Nowhere everyone was protesting a while back.

I managed to snag this one from the air in the Cub - dove in, then pulled up and to the left through the trees. I was sure I was going to crack up and get that awful "Aerocache lost" message, but I made it somehow.

These latest Alaskan caches have been pretty cool. I thought maybe they were some of the new user-suggested ones that had been solicited, but the "Date Hidden" for this one is July 16, so I guess not.

If you ever get to Alaska, you MUST MUST MUST go through this tunnel. I found it by complete accident driving from Homer to Anchorage. Saw a sign that said "glacier" and thought I would check it out and then I see this weird tunnel that actually cost money to drive through.

One lane, over 2 miles long, and a combined rail and road tunnel. Train actually delayed us going through and then you realize that you are driving through the same tunnel that a train just used.

Very neat stuff.

@Mattneffer - this tunnel was built in World War II. Before then you had to cross the glacier which was very deadly. The tunnel allowed American ships to use the Whittier side and protected against a potential Japanese blockade (at least that is how I understand it).

Thanks for the info AZsoccer. I wasn't aware of how interesting this tunnel actually is.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor