Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

FSGenesis World NextMap Terrain Mesh

I've been getting e-mails lately from FSGenesis about the new World NextMap mesh, as well as special deals such as the current 60% off. I was browsing the FSGenesis web pages and came across this message from the developer/owner:

Astonished and Dumbfounded

Nuthin. Two days on after completing NEXTMap Northern Andes, I am astounded by the seeming complete apathy of the market towards this product. Have had plenty of “$0.00″ Galaxy orders but those won’t pay the bills.

Hello? Is this thing on? The ASCENT coupon is worth 75%-off today only, while I rethink the future.

Since I know that the developer participates in this forum, I want to publicly ask: why are you "astonished and dumbfounded"? Several times over the years you have promised continued development of this or that and then ceased production. This was the case with the world Aster mesh project, for example, which never got completed.

Once the entire continent of South America is completed, then I will probably buy a South America NextMap bundle if there is one. I don't want to buy Northern Andes and then find out that production has ceased again. It even appears, once again, that you are hinting at stopping production if folks don't purchase your products by your statement "while I rethink the future". This doesn't inspire confidence.

On a positive note I am very happy with FSGenesis mesh products that I already own. They are of the highest quality and I recommend them to anyone wanting good terrain mesh.

I just want some assurance that you will follow through on your plan to produce NextMap mesh for the entire world, or at least finish a continent.

Thank you.

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Interesting, I have read that certain newsletter too and felt like writing about exact these sentences too. Despite the fact that I really enjoy Justin's products, the image of FSGenesis got a bit shaken now and all those FSGenesis discounts don't make me feel very comfortable either.

Somehow I have got the feeling that FSGenesis' business is running a bit out of the rudder and it's a good decision - on a customer point of view - to take a slowly approach on his products (not with regards to the good quality). I assume mesh addons are not selling as good as airport or aircraft addons but Justin is long enough in the business to understand the market. I can't really comprehend why he's feeling dumbfounded. Basically I refrain from buying a product - even at a highly discounted price - if I am simply not interested in it or if it's only the half of an area which I might be looking for.

Looking at Justin's words I am interpreting that he's blaming his customers for his drawbacks - with regards to the Anden mesh - unless I am totally wrong. But in the end it's Justin's decision what he is offering and not mine.

In my opinion he should reconsider some major elements of his business model - i.e. galaxy membership, discounts etc. - in order to genereate the necessary sales. Looking at Justin's messages over the last months, I take it that he's very dependent on these sales, maybe something to reconsider too? With the exception of a developers/publishers I have my doubts that you can earn a living by just sticking to Flight Simulator only.

I am looking forward to further FSGenesis products in the future and I am going to buy them as long as I am interested in them, but I don't want to be blamed for something I am not buying or apathy how Justin calls it.

By the way, I have pre-ordered the NextMap Nordic bundle and was a bit disappointed that the release was postboned a few times - but that's something I can understand and live with - but hearing the NextMap data is not useable for some of the announced areas was a bit of a letdown.That's something Justin could have cleared in the first place before announcing and especially selling a product. I hope ASTER is providing better data than NextMap.

Just my 2 cents.

Well at least in later email he apologized being so negative on that earlier one copied to this thread.

I have myself enjoyed FSgenesis products and will continue buying also future ones.

Also I think Nextmap is mostly usable in those areas where he had problems too, I think he just has to replace some small parts with faults using lower quality ASTER data.

Have also bought quite a lot of mesh for FS2004 and FSX. Pre-ordered Norway for FSX and still waiting for approx 3 months.

Why ask customers to pre-order if you cannot offer a reasonable delivery time.

The guy has issues. Not the first time he has done something like this.

Eric 

Issues is somewhat strong word here if not truly knowing the guy, but this just sounds so Justin :P He's been complaining before and there is nothing new here. It doesn't actually bother me although first I was a bit surprised. I have GalaxyXpress subscription myself and I like FSGenesis meshes a lot and have many of them installed. They really ramp up the scenery and with some Class9 landclass installed, even default scenery looks great. I couldn't fly without them anymore.

One thing just puzzles me that if meshes are selling poorly (which I don't completely bite), why FSGenesis don't do partner up with scenery designers who need high quality mesh for their work? You would think that with the reputation FSGenesis has scenery makers would gladly team up.

I also like his products but got tired of receiving too many "newsletters" each week so have unsubscribed.

Will buy Norway mesh when it becomes available.

Selling mesh products is very much like selling a (hypothetical) car that will never break down, never have a flat tire, or need gas, and will without exception last well beyond the purchaser's lifetime...

In simple terms, it need only be bought once. There is a nearly finite number of potential customers for such products. Inevitably, market saturation will be reached with ever declining new sales taking place for any given product.

So, introducing new and improved product(s) would appear to be the only step available for someone who wishes to continue earning an income.

I bought my "Galaxy Express" membership years ago shortly after being introduced. I've long ago concluded that I've received far more than full value for my money.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You would think that with the reputation FSGenesis has scenery makers would gladly team up.

I think so too, for example for my previous project I would have sure liked to have NEXTMAP quality mesh instead of normal ASTER, but none of the data sources I found were within price that would have been realistic to me, I have no idea where Justin gets all this data for reasonable price.

Not really, I think sometimes poor sales days may just feel bad especially if you are actually doing these things as something that gives you living instead as just a hobby. Anyway, these products do not require online activation so as long as you save product files/installers on your computer your products are usable even in case that FSgenesis goes down, which I find very unlikely now as he's getting good money source from these new worldwide Nextmap products.

I tend to agree on all the "doomsday" marketing, but I will buy the NextMap in areas that I am interested in. Andes is one of those if we are talking about Peru (need to see the coverage but haven't gotten around to it yet).

scott s.

Have also bought quite a lot of mesh for FS2004 and FSX. Pre-ordered Norway for FSX and still waiting for approx 3 months.

You could just download a free Norway mesh from here: http://www.flightsim.no/fsno/filbibliotek/FS2004/scenery/europa/norge/114.html

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Fsgenesis one is 2x more accurate.

It remains to be seen. LOD is not always a good measurement of terrain accuracy.

That said, I sure hope so. If it is, I'll be buying it!

Pre-ordered Norway for FSX and still waiting for approx 3 months.

Just saw this on the FSG website..

We had originally planned to begin distribution with the Nordic Region including Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, and Greenland. But after numerous delays in the availability of the source data, once we obtained the data we found that above 60dN it was mostly unusable for producing a commercial product. Consequently, the NEXTMap designation has been removed and Nordic has become an ASTER product, available per country or with the Nordic Bundle is now available for pre-order with a significant coupon discount. Production on Nordic will continue concurrently with NEXTMap production, but any originally-announced timetables must remain fluid.

-Damien

Just saw this on the FSG website..

[/size][/font][/size][/font]

-Damien

Strange... Norway stops at 61dN, so I don't see the problem... Above 60 is just Svalbard.