Sign in to follow this  
Reason

FSX's DX-10, a 'lighter' FSX?

Hi

Since last saturday I have been experimenting and setting up my FSX. Bojote's, Word Not Allowed's, Nick's.. you name it, they are all genius and have done the best they could to help us improve performance of FSX in our system. but tweakings have screwed my head and I turned to work on the sliders inside FSX menu instead. My conclusion so far, based on my system of course, it is rather impossible for me to fly heavies in fsx, well I don't have any addons for fsx anyway except those which are compatible for FS9-FSX, mines are like ASE 2010, P 51 Mustang, and a local payware scenery (BDOaviation), and of course my FSGlobal 2010.

However, when experimenting with DX-10, I found that FSX was running smoother than DX9, I didnt believe it thus I wasn't too happy about it, maybe tweakings had screwed my head that bad that made me hallucinating.

Then I accidentally read this thread.

http://forum.avsim.n...the-how-to-doc/

The Avsim Community - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums - DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help

I wasn't hallucinating, the increased fps I experienced with DX-10 is no joke..

In How To's (MSWord format file) Paul J wrote some useful and informative explanations about what DX 10 is, Fixes (because DX 10 tends to cause issues like flashing runways etc) . How to's, Patch and tests and settings. I'm gonna quote what He said.

at the end of the tunnel – there’s a somewhat faster, “prettier”, more stable sim, fewer, or even no OOM’s, with a lot more going on than DX9 would ever tolerate.. If you have a very powerful machine – it will be Nirvana, as FSX will run smoother, and with settings you never thought possible.

As an FS9er, I'm confident about this although it can't totally replace the investments I have made in FS9 for years but those who have been in FSX and found it frustrating, this is worth to try. To me personally, eventhough this DX 10 alternative works very well in terms of performance, FSX will still be my 2nd simulation, no matter what the result will be with DX 10, I'm sticking with fs9 for at least 2 more years. And 2 years are enough for me to build new hardwares and fsx addons. But, for some, the story might be different..

Paul J also wrote where we should begin, the settings and some recommended software to support exploring the "new" sim.

What's your opinion about this?

What's your opinion about this?

That you posted all this in the FS 2004 forum and when all the guys wake up and read it they are going to have a melt-down and chase you down the hallway... :vava:

Welcome to the club... but.... shhhhhhhh... we kind of have a secret club.

I think someone has failed seeing this from FS9er's point of view (?)

=====EDIT=====

I'm aware that some simmers stick with fs9 because they just want to. And for some, they have no choices due to performance issues after making several attempts as I'm seeing this from that point of view. I'm still using fs9, even after posting this. B)

That you posted all this in the FS 2004 forum and when all the guys wake up and read it they are going to have a melt-down and chase you down the hallway... :vava:

:lol: I wonder if I could just share this wonderful X-plane tweak with y'all, though... first, you insert the plug into the power point, ensuring you have the correct voltage settings... whoops it's the FS9 forum, no matter: it works there, too!

first, you insert the plug into the power point, ensuring you have the correct voltage settings... whoops it's the FS9 forum, no matter: it works there, too!

Wow, you're hilarious.. I think you have talents

I'm off to the FSX forum to see if I can pick up any FS9 tips. Just joking :drinks:

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

FS9 is my first love. LOL However I did install FSX when it first came out since it was a gift from a friend. It lasted about 15 minutes on my HDD. But I do still have it here and have been thinking of trying it again since I have a much better computer now. So I do get why you posted the information in this forum. And I want to thank you for doing so.