Sign in to follow this  
Berlopez

Addon scenery question

I rescently had to reinstall my whole FSX\Gold Inatallation, Some thing ruined the scenery, most likely me as I seem to have a mess in there. I have learned here in the forum how to fix some issues, like when I get scenery.cfg errors in scenery area ??? at the start of the sim. But still I have a local scenery pack which isn't displaying correctly.I get trees on a taxi way at a particular airport.

In the local forum they have made new scenery which corrects this fault. Another simmer tested it and report of no trees on the taxiway.

My problems is I made a mistake when istalling the scenery to FSX in win7 pro. I didn't wait for the scenery folder to appear on the list then...I clicked it...Then it opened in two folders,Scenery and texture I then clicked each and they loaded ( Creating a scenery and texture folder each in the addon scenery tree)Have checked for contents and they are the same as in the downloaded files.

I want the new scenery.

What would happen if I delete thee two folders and the entry in the scenery.cfg file and add the new via installation intructions,which are simply to add the 2 files ( 2 downloaded files) into one and call it Denmark Scenery;

Will I mess things up? I'd hate to have to reinstall FSX from the begginin?

Berlopez

That's one way of doing it. Just don't understand why you don't do it the simply way... go into the Scenery Library and delete the scenery you don't want. Then click on Add scenery, go to the location of the scenery on your hard drive, give it a name, then click okay. There's a bug in Windows 7 where it's scenery does not always add and you have to click on any white space of your HDD and the scenery will be added. There's a pinned topic about this and exactly how to do it in the Windows 7 forum. Definitely do not have to reinstall FSX in any case.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim Thanks for your reply.

The simple explanation is the scenery Did add...BUt because I opened it in the library,then it showed me its' contents: Scenery and Textures folders...Then I added them individually and it loaded, it displays perfectly except for that one tree issue.

it didn't load as a normal folder, and I didn't give it a name/title, So it's not identifyable in the FSX Scenmery Library, I found it on my HD, opened it and compared the files to the original .zips which I luckily found saved on my external HD Temps.

It was because of the windows 7 bug of having to add by clicking on any white spot/space,that this happened and me not giving it a name.

I have the same issue with another local scenery that the suthor created but didn't give it a name corresponding to the area/Airport , but instead he called it Addon scenery, and he sya move addon scenery folder containing the scnery to addon scenery, thereby creatting two addons scenery folders in there., Confussing, Hugh?

...Now knowing that the scenery I want to get rid off is in these two folders, would it be ok to just delete the folders ? Or the contents of the folders; Personally I would delete the folders, because the new scenery I want to install has the same folder structure,made by the same designers; And I don't want double folder copies in there. I would of course also delete the entry from the scenery.cfg; Just want to make sure before I proceed with all this tomorrow at some stage.The difficult thing here is the folders are only to be deleted from my HD, not from the scenery library as they open as contents and I the choice to edit or delete is covered by the window.If I were to delete these folder via the HD would I get an scenery error message, or not?

Thanks for your enlightening reply:

Berlopez

So it's not identifyable in the FSX Scenmery Library, I found it on my HD, opened it and compared the files to the original .zips which I luckily found saved on my external HD Temps.

In the Scenery Library, if you would have clicked on the unidentifiable scenery then selected edit, it would have taken you exactly to the place where the scenery is located and you could have then given it a name, clicked the white blank spot and it would show up. Most addon developers, especially freeware developers just provide a simple .bgl file that contains all the info for the scenery. They want you to drop it into the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and that's okay as the scenery will definitely show up. You don't need to name it something at all but a lot of us old-timers give the scenery a name, then place a Scenery folder below the name of the folder and drop the .bgl in there. That way you can keep track of exactly what's installed and you can even disable it if you want. If it's in the Addon Scenery folder, you'll have to rename the .bgl file or remove it from the Addon Scenery folder.

...Now knowing that the scenery I want to get rid off is in these two folders, would it be ok to just delete the folders ? Or the contents of the folders; Personally I would delete the folders, because the new scenery I want to install has the same folder structure,made by the same designers

I would move the folders to a Temp folder instead of deleting it unless you are positive about the same folder structure. If everything works out, then you can delete the one in the temp folder. It sounds like you have thinks figured out but just in case you might want to look at this tutorial I found - http://fstipsandaddons.com/tutorials/installing-scenery-fsx.html.

Apologize for not seeing this earlier. I'm a very busy person here at AVSIM....

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, Thanks for your reply! I chose a different simple aproach, for me, Just to find the scenery that was already in the root folder, showing in the addons scenery folder, and by placing ther mouse over it identify the first BGL'S, and then did the same for the texture folder, then I was able to delete from within the sim...Which I believe is better thna risk it nad delete from the HD, then start the sim and get a scenery.cfg error in area...( Even though I have FTscenery which corrects this fault) I preffered to go this way and the I installed denmark scenery v 1.3. The designer went silent after he osted in the local forum that I should Delete!!!???? FSX....And then addon scenery folders. I didn' agree knowing that FSX should not be deleted as it leaves all kinds of files and stuff in the HD that may conflict on a future reinstallation So I concured him and he went silent.

I have all my addon a/c; Sceneries etc...Saved on an external HD; That's were i found denmark secenry 1.2 so I could compare the bgl file names and textures.

berlopez

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

HI again JIm, Another question in my addon scenery folder in the FSX tree I have all my sceneries installed and they work, BUt there isn't a Scenery or Texture folders in there? I have a new scenery I'd like to install and the designer writes on his read-me to only move the two BGL'S to the addon Scenery\ Scenery folder; Which I don't have?

Berlopez

HI again JIm, Another question in my addon scenery folder in the FSX tree I have all my sceneries installed and they work, BUt there isn't a Scenery or Texture folders in there? I have a new scenery I'd like to install and the designer writes on his read-me to only move the two BGL'S to the addon Scenery\ Scenery folder; Which I don't have?

Berlopez

By default you should have an Addon Scenery folder. Many people remove it though. You can make a new folder, say, KJFK. Then under that you can add a scenery folder and drop your new scenery bgl(s) to that folder. You will then need to start up FSX, go to the Scenery Library and select Add. Go to the location of say, KJFK\Scenery, give it a name, click the large white box (a but if you have Windows 7) and it should be located on the top of your Scenery Library.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim, Yes I do have an Addon Scenery folder where all my Addons Sceneries are stored. This scenery I'm trying to install has two simple BGL'S to be moved to Addon Scenery\Scenery folder which I don't have;

Under another scenery I have botth scenery and textures folders,I've eve tried to move the 2 BGL'S there but nothing loads...Besides the pain of having to fix the scenery.cfg afterwards,after I delete them manually,

I put the folder containing both BGL'S on my desktop and,went to FSX_Addon scenery Library> add> Pressed on a white area> Nothing happened>??? When I exited the library it built new files> Then when I went ot the area concerned , nothing had been added? I have had it before, but incorrects textures; The files doesn't have any texture folder so the building just showed Black, That's why I deleted it.And I thnk I'll do without.

Thanks for your advice,

Berlopez

add> Pressed on a white area> Nothing happened>??? When I exited the library it built new files>

So this is wrong. You you press on the white area it should take you immediately to the Scenery Library with the name of your scenery on top. When you exit the scenery library, it will load the scenery. The proper procedure for loading scenery in Windows 7 is pinned at the top of the Windows 7 forum.

A lot of addon scenery does not like the texture folder so you just have to have the name of the scenery and under that a scenery folder. This is where you place the .bgl's.... in the scenery folder. I remember something where some scenery will not work if it 'sees' a texture folder (other than the default). The addon scenery .bgl's should have all the necessary information to load the proper scenery and they probably call on the textures located in the default texture folder. Perhaps when you place a texture folder within your addon scenery, it will look there first and see no textures.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

HI JIm,This scenery does not have textures folder included, only two BGL files; I installed it with out the ramp_lights file I got from my friend. and it displays like in the images I posted,

Yes pressing on the white are does take me to the library where I have the sceneries,including the one I wanted to install. But,I didn't check the path,I'm afraid to say. Then I read the addon scenery intructions in the link you posted 8th November 2012(Reply #4) and fallowed those steps.Then I realized that I was not clicking "ok" !before! clicking on a white area...As soon as I did that the scenery added at the top.

Berlopez

Then I realized that I was not clicking "ok" !before! clicking on a white area...As soon as I did that the scenery added at the top.

LOL! I miss things like that in posts too. I suspect we all do. Did that fix things? Is the scenery working now? Hope so!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Ha! Then I'm not alone!

Yes it displyays well, just like in the images I posted n reply# 10

berlopez