Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

DX10 and Compatible Airports

Regarding: Aerosoft PANC and PAFA - they both work great - day and night under DX10.

Have my DX10 legacy slider either one notch to the left or two - both settings work well on my side.

Im getting black squares in daytime around all the boats in the harbor at Aerosoft's Skiathos with the DX10 fixer. Not a big deal I guess but be nice if this can be corrected. Checked the Aerosoft forums and there are no DX10 threads??

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Hi, John:

Page 47 of the Fixer Manual, gives a brief outline of the issue, and it's something which the Aerosoft designer could fix, if you asked him. Here's the extract:-

FSX BGL
This is often ok, but it can seem somewhat of a lottery, especially at airport where a lot of scenery can exist. It appears that in some circumstances the FSX DX10 engine fails to set up the state objects, leading to issues with transparency.
Known causes are:
 A single texture (strictly material) used with more than 64K vertices in a texture tile.

A texture from a model containing just one transparent texture which is used in neighboring tiles.

The last can be problematic at airports straddling tile boundaries or where two nearby airports from the same developer use common library objects. An example here is the cars in Orbx regions that have blended night lighting rectangles.
Note that this only applies to materials that use blend states – alpha testing is fine.

This quote is taken from a similar discussion of the same issue which Steve had analysed..

This is Cardiff with the tile boundaries – so the airport gets cut into 3 sections (and a fourth very small one) 

Using a simple transparent texture in 2 or more sections will cause the one nearest you to fail.

Duplicating the model and texture 3 x (or 4x if it is used in the tiny segment) will fix it with minimal performance hit i.e. same number of drawcalls in DX9/DX10 same number of vertex buffers – just a slight hit with the extra textures to be loaded.

The scenery author should be able to test for this, and so add the extra textures.

Hope this helps...

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

You would have to decide what parts you want to keep, and what has to go, Dan - remember - the FlightZone02 was a "Zone" - not just an airport. I wanted only PDX, and Steve's patch - at the time - didn't do a complete conversion. I had to use some of the FSdeveloper tools (by Arno) to do some converting, and even that wasn't wholly successful. As mentioned elsewhere 90% of the PDX airport was convertable and worked - it was just some issues with 3 or 4 ground bgl's that drove me nuts, as I wanted the original ground textures to show. None of the other conversion "attempts" did this. It also takes a pretty good amount of work to get rid of the extra scenery around PDX, and then there's the issue of the Orbx scenery. PDX itself isn't a great biggee, but Orbx's "Portland" freeware is in there, and they both disagree on the airfield height: Orbx says it's 18 feet and FZ02 says it's 35 feet. I haven't tried disabling the PNW and reinstalling FZ02 as a complete standalone addon with Steve's latest Fixer. It might work. KRDG did, but that was much smaller.

I'll give it some thought....   

Hi Paul -

Did you ever revisit the issues with KPDX, DX10 and PNW? I would take the airport over the Portland Cityscape Freeware any day! I know there is a "patch" that you were involved in working on for it but it looked like a very cumbersome process to get the results.  

Thanks !

Daniel

Did you ever revisit the issues with KPDX, DX10 and PNW? I would take the airport over the Portland Cityscape Freeware any day! I know there is a "patch" that you were involved in working on for it but it looked like a very cumbersome process to get the results.  

It was revisited during 2011 and again all of July - September 2012, and is usable (by me), with the exception of the southern industrial area which borders the Orbx (or the default Portland City). 

Cumbersome? I used stronger words than that one, Dan!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Flytampa KBOS as well is not compatible with the amazing DX10.

Can anyone confirm if this is now compatible with Steve's DX10 Fixer/Controller installed/active?

I do like how FlyTampa at least provide a nice clear list of what is and is not DX10 compatible here: https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/Orders.ShoppingCart?CID=1228/1&PRODUCTID=12280012&CURRENCY=EUR

Now we just need a DX10 Fixer Compatible column  ... speaking of which, would it be worth pinning a no reply list of compatible airports, aircraft, etc. at the top of the forum?  Columns: Vendor, Product, DX9, DX10, DX10 Fixer, Notes/Exceptions.  Heck I'll even set this up on my own personal web site if folks PM the data to me.

Rob.

Robains,

I have KBOS Fly Tampa and I will check for you when I get home. 

My%20Signature.jpg

Robains,

No luck at KBOS, still 2 Black walls at that scenery.

My%20Signature.jpg

This is what I get at FT BOS

2013-10-9_21-35-30-17_zps0b7114f4.png

2013-10-9_21-33-51-532_zps91d27fbd.png

2013-10-9_21-30-36-870_zps843de669.png

Looks like some of the numbers are black squares and big oily inkspots on the ramp apron. Other than that I don't see anything else wrong on a quick pass.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

No luck at KBOS, still 2 Black walls at that scenery.

Thanks for checking, appreciate it.  Will hold out on KBOS purchase for now.

Looks like some of the numbers are black squares and big oily inkspots on the ramp apron.

Thank you for taking the time to post pics, it's doesn't look too bad ... wondering if Steve's DX10 ToolKit might help out here.

No problem on the screen shots. Let me know if you need more. I was using the dx10 fixer all at default settings except for lights(which I dimmed).

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Hmm...No issues here with FT KBOS and DX10 Fixer:

http://btfy.me/2fr84w

http://btfy.me/w9qdg3

Might want to experiment with your settings. Could be some kind of SMAA transparency artifact perhaps or maybe a slider in the DX10 itself. My legacy slider is full to the left and that has fixed a whole grundle of misc. issues with 3rd party night sceneries.

BTW, can someone direct me to a post that shows how to embed a freaking image to an off-site URL on this site? IMG tags are not supported I guess. This link is full of crap:

http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/16-how-to-include-pictures-in-your-posts/

Ok, what do we have so far? Which airports still have issues (post-build 19)?

I'm making the excel spreadsheet.

PS, I want to relate to Jim's comment advising switching to dx9 for "night time".. switching between the two dx modes is more complex than just switching dx10 mode off in fsx cfg. You need to revert SFX changes and NI changes. Also, you can't do that while fsx works.. a "deal breaker".