Sign in to follow this  
Clem Wu

Unlimited Detail, Real Time Rendering Technology

Hi All,

Was talking about scenery detail just 10 minutes ago with Chase on the AVSIM TeamSpeak, and I shared with him this video. It introduces real time rendering with unlimited detail, something that game engines find impossible today. It was uploaded last year and apologies if already posted.

Cheers,

Clem

Great stuff, Clem. Thanks. I wonder what it looks like today, a year later.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

forgot about that, yes another yr gone. I tellya, unless they also have some magic texturing tech, it'll be hell to texture atoms! But if they use some sort of randomized natural texturing, could be amazing.

Yes, the texturing on this engine has never been spectacular. Nor the effects applied to those textures..

Be interesting to see if this ever moves beyond the vaporware stage.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I remember watching the first demonstration video from 2010. It was very interesting to see the progress made. I wonder if they've ever actually completed and released their SDK, and if there are any game companies who're interested enough to invest time and money into this engine.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I remember a post on this on Gamespy or PCGamer or something.

If I recall correctly there was still a bit of skepticism regarding these guys' claims.

Nah, I'm sure it'll be used in the future- just like the outerra engine!

I hope to eat humble pie.

That guys voice gets very irritating after awhile!

Nah, I'm sure it'll be used in the future- just like the outerra engine!

I hope to eat humble pie.

That guys voice gets very irritating after awhile!

Of course the Outerra engine is actually out there in ordinary hands, and being used here and there. Also, the progress of the engine is very open and detailed on its forum. Should this engine reach that stage, I would be a lot more sanguine about its potential...

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I figured that atom (dot) technology would be a better way of producing cloud effects in Flight Simulator, with dots comprising clouds you would actually be flying into something more like real clouds compared to flying into photographic images of the clouds.

Matthew Kane

Anyone remember Voxels?

Devons rig

Anyone remember Voxels?

They worked fairly well for walking the deck of the ship in Man of War 2. Other ships were sprites. A group once did a 32 player game of the Battle of Trafalgar, with humans commanding 32 British ships. Pretty good for the day, but they wouldn't hold a candle to the later 3D ships in Pirates of the Caribbean Community Build Mod.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I remember seeing that a long time. Isn't it a scam? I think the guy's voice gives it away.

I hope it isn't! He could just have an enthusiastic voice but I can see where you're coming from.

I hope it isn't! He could just have an enthusiastic voice but I can see where you're coming from.

The voice doesn't sound enthusiastic to me, just... stupid. Not serious.

I remember seeing that a long time. Isn't it a scam? I think the guy's voice gives it away.

Since "they" aren't soliciting for investments, in what way could it possibly be a "scam?"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator