I have a rather old NV GTX460 (1GB memory), and am contemplating upgrading. System is a i7-2600K with 8GB (PC3-12800) XMP memory, running Win 7 64 bit. The primary use of the system is FSX (maybe P3D in the future). What upgrade would work for me to provide the maximum benefit for FSX/P3D, without buying up to something with little incremental value for these applications? Monitor has a 120 Hz refresh ( Samsung SA950). Thanks for any suggestions. Bruce.

GTX 580, GTX 670, or GTX 680.

It depends on how many monitors you will use and AA settings.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I've looked at NewEgg for GTX 580, 670 and 680. Looking at just EVGA cards, what I notice is that the 580 is more expensive than the 670, and not far from the 680. Is there still considerable demand for the 580 hence the high price for something that might be termed as superseded? Maybe a sweet spot for the 580? I note that the 580 comes in 3GB options, but with the lower clock speed, the high price surprises me. Thanks for any help,

Bruce.

I don't know how you feel about used, but I got my Gtx 580 on ebay for $200. Works great and can handle all the new games with no problems at all.... Oh... and it does pretty good on FSX too!

Dennis

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, thanks Dennis- I am certainly open to using something used. And NewEgg has some of that (not as cheap as you got on eBay, but cheaper than new). My question was more of the high price for new 580's, given that we are now into the maturity of the 6x0 series of GTX- the 580 is a whole rev behind what is current, but still holding it's price..... I like your idea of getting a used 580 too...

Thanks, Bruce.