Sign in to follow this  
Vulkan

Normal Procedures: what is AD?

First, you have to forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I haves searched and I can't find the answer.

When i read the FCOM for the 737NGX I encounter an abbreviation that I am not familiar with and that I don't understand: In the normal procedures, there seems to be different procedures depending on AD. What is AD?

Example: There are three different NP Before Takeoff. One says "AD2002-19-52 and AD 2002-24-51". The second says "AMOC to AD 2002-24-51". The third says "AMOC to AD 2001-08-24 and AD 2002-24-51 for airplanes with master caution system logic change and automatic shutoff."

How do I know which procedure to use?

in this case AD stands for Amendment. How to operate now with this? Well, you take your current checklist and replace the original parts written with these of the most recent amendment. Its sometimes patchwork because amendments sometimes alter only one word and you have to puzzle wit 4 - 5 AD and the original checklist.

Normally, the whole checklist would be replaced and the altered parts by AD are highlighted to point to the changes.

Regards

Airwhortiness Directive, it is a series of modifications made to solve problems that users find.

For example the 24-51 is for a wrong wiring for the center tank pumps wich fails to shut down pumps when pilots turn them off.

An AD will contains time limits to do a modification, or a check, for the related item. In this case basically is a check for the wiring routing, if the wire is not in the correct position it must be moved to the right place in the connector to solve the problem.

If you want, type the AD name in google and probably you will find it on google, 737.org normally shares them.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

AD is an Airworthiness Directive. The FAA says there's a problem and the AD is how it is corrected. If there is more than one way of dealing with the problem, then there are AMOCs.

Matt Cee

It's to be highlighted that an AD is mandatory, an airplane with an AD that has not been complied with or that has expired is not airworthy and can't fly...

James Goggi

There might be an alternative method of compliance though. For a very extreme example, an airline could in theory get Boeing to agree that disabling the center tanks completely might just be good enough that you dont need to comply with ADs in place for reqiring and so.