Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 11/11 Mount Saint Elias

Here's one for the high flyers. This could be a challenge depending on which a/c you use, the weather you choose, and the season. Sounds like a fun one. Also, 5k XP.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I thought this would be a good opportunity to take the C-46 up, which I've flown very little. Things went well until about 9,000 feet up, when it started bucking and sliding and stalling all over the place. There was almost no wind. It just sort of decided it didn't want to go up any more. I tried different flap and mixture settings, but it remained a struggle right up until I got the cache, and then it just kind of gave up and slammed into the mountain. The cache registered, however.

Got it in the Carbon Cub and Low and Threatening weather. Wasn't difficult, just aim for the highest peak you see above the clouds. The first high peak you see is probably the right one.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Just when I say they are too easy we get this one like this. Really majestic scenery, must be what it looked flying the Hump in the CBI during wwII. I had some time finding my way back to the airstrip in the dark but I made it down ok.

Steve

Beautiful images Steve!

I got it with the Red-Tail p-51 ...

Then, I started FSX Gold with AS2012 doing it's wonders for weather and many textures, and went for it using the Pilatus Porter (FSD International), an add-on I was still able to re-install yesterday... I've been slowly, but successfuly and above all very happily being able to get back my best FSX add-ons...

Of course both FSX and FLIGHT have those irritating bugs with mixture and Fuel Flow, and trying to get it correctly done in FSX where we can better control Mix using gauges, or in FLIGHT where we can use our hears to help (and the bugged FF gauge too...), is sometimes tricky, but it works, and all of the rest is so nice, so immersive that I can forget about those limitations....

I had some difficulty getting to this Aerocache with the Maule. I eventually decided to replace it with the p-51 and it was then piece of cake :-)

Most of the time I now start one sim after the other, MS FLIGHT and FSX Gold. On FSX I am using just the default scenery, but with all settings at Max it still provides me with excellent scenery, as compared to what I was becoming used to (so poor...) in another sim platform :-/... Of course, when it comes to flying in Switzerland... I start Aerofly FS :-)

Above all I got a lesson... and old one I should have known from the start - being back home always feels good :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I had a bit of a time with this one. I flew and flew even though I thought I had a pretty good idea where the cache was. Apparently my perspective was off. When I found the cache, it wasn't where I thought it would be. Sure didn't appear to be the second tallest mountain in the U.S. and Canada. It didn't even appear to be the tallest in the area. Much fun to have one with a twist.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I had a bit of a time with this one. I flew and flew even though I thought I had a pretty good idea where the cache was. Apparently my perspective was off. When I found the cache, it wasn't where I thought it would be. Sure didn't appear to be the second tallest mountain in the U.S. and Canada. It didn't even appear to be the tallest in the area. Much fun to have one with a twist.

I think this cache was put in the wrong place. If you look at a photo of Mt Elias it does appear to be the taller one to the NE of where the cache was placed. Still it was nice to actually have to "fly" to find one.

Sure didn't appear to be the second tallest mountain in the U.S. and Canada. It didn't even appear to be the tallest in the area.

Glad someone else noticed that! When I read the description I went back and chose the Red Tail Mustang, figuring I'd have to get up above 20,000'. It surprised me when the locater flashed while still in the teens.

I took the RV-6A, fair weather, full gas tank. Took a while to get up there with all that fuel, but it made it no problem.

.2012-11-11_11-19-10-143-1.jpg

2012-11-11_11-17-18-929-1.jpg