Sign in to follow this  
internerd

FSX Fatal Error after MCE Install

So after upgrading to Windows 8 and after refreshing windows 8, I have been slowly re installing FSX and it's addons.

However with MCE I have run into a few issues.

My first problem was with disabling UAC, despite disabling it and restarting MCE installer still said to disable UAC. I solved this by running the installer in Windows XP compatibility. This issue cropped up again during first launch of MCE, fixed same way.

My second issue was I had to download the US english pack, 155mb at a paint drying 25kb/s later it was installed. No other problems.

However when I try and launch FSX after installing, FSX gives a fatal error and stops working. Deleting the FSinsider.dll or uninstalling MCE solves this problem.

The details from the fatal error message:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61637.0

Application Timestamp: 46fadb14

Fault Module Name: fsInsider.dll

Fault Module Version: 2.5.0.4

Fault Module Timestamp: 5093f27c

Exception Code: c0000096

Exception Offset: 00001067

OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

It occurs about 20s after FSX starts loading, just after you hear the MCE intro noises.

thanks in advance. This on win8 pro x64. Both FSX and MCE exe are set to run in winxp compatibility. I have changed them into both vista and 7 modes but no dice.

Cameron

Cameron, try the very good tips from Matt, hope they help you out.

Hi, I had the same problems installing and setting up as you did, I'm also running Windows 8 pro 64 bit. However my install is working to a fashion. I installed FSUIPC4, Ultimate traffic 2, fspassengers and a plane from areosoft first before installing mce. When I started fsx for the first time after the mce install I agreed to the fsinsider.dll etc, but mce disappeared almost immediately. Once I had loaded my flight, I restarted mce and it loaded and I saw the dialog in my fsx screen. It is usable and takes commands, but the options box is just a black box - no text or buttons just a black box. mce does not load when I load fsx now, I have to start it manually each time, and the options panel is still just a black box.

So after upgrading to Windows 8 and after refreshing windows 8, I have been slowly re installing FSX and it's addons.

However with MCE I have run into a few issues.

My first problem was with disabling UAC, despite disabling it and restarting MCE installer still said to disable UAC. I solved this by running the installer in Windows XP compatibility. This issue cropped up again during first launch of MCE, fixed same way.

My second issue was I had to download the US english pack, 155mb at a paint drying 25kb/s later it was installed. No other problems.

However when I try and launch FSX after installing, FSX gives a fatal error and stops working. Deleting the FSinsider.dll or uninstalling MCE solves this problem.

The details from the fatal error message:

It occurs about 20s after FSX starts loading, just after you hear the MCE intro noises.

thanks in advance. This on win8 pro x64. Both FSX and MCE exe are set to run in winxp compatibility. I have changed them into both vista and 7 modes but no dice.

Cameron

Hi,

Now that you got around the installation mishap under Windows 8, suggest you reset "mce.exe" and "fsx.exe" to run in native mode (not compatibility mode).

See how it goes.

Windows 8 should be officially supported in about 3 weeks time.

It is usable and takes commands, but the options box is just a black box - no text or buttons just a black box. mce does not load when I load fsx now, I have to start it manually each time, and the options panel is still just a black box.

Hi Matt_Isntit,

This isn’t Windows 8 related. It can happen on Windows 7 as well.

It’s more a misunderstood (possibly not well advertised) feature.

In our quest for perfection, whenever the simulator is detected as running in full screen, we prevent MCE from drawing the UI altogether, and the result is a big black rectangle.

As we discovered some time ago, there are a few users who run their sim in “fake full screen” or “simulated full screen” mode whatever you want to call it.

They run the sim in windowed mode (nothing wrong with that), all while stretching the client area (where the sim renders) to fill the entire screen.

The result, MCE thinks the sim is in full screen mode, and skips drawing.

Luckily, this can be controlled via an option in mce.ini file

Assuming your system is set to show hidden files and folders…

Go to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew Experience\mce.ini

Open the file using Notepad.

Look at the [Window] section.

To make sure MCE UI always draws, make sure “NoFullScreenDraw=0”

Save the file, and you should be OK.

I was just looking at the mce.ini file when I got notified that you had replied to this thread! perfect timing! I think windows 8 has some issues with full screen modes, I know that flash is dodgy with the new IE in full screen, but I'm also having trouble getting fsx to run as it did in dual screen mode - win8 keeps trying to stretch it across 1 and a half screens... lol anyway thanks again for your reply!

Hi,

Now that you got around the installation mishap under Windows 8, suggest you reset "mce.exe" and "fsx.exe" to run in native mode (not compatibility mode).

See how it goes.

Windows 8 should be officially supported in about 3 weeks time.

Same error.

Same error.

You may try the revised fsInsider.dll, available from this link: http://www.multicrewxp.com/fsInsider2505.zip

Replace the file inside \Flight Simulator X\ folder

Windows 8 might not be the reason behind the crash, as it happens on rare occasions even on Vista and 7.

Would appreciate if you could send your dll.xml file (or list its content) found under:

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ folder (your system must be set to show hidden files and folder).

And I assume Windows 8 UAC has been disabled.

What Anti-virus anti-malware are you running?

text

I already tried the revised .dll yesterday.

I have no malware or Av installed at this time.

i will pm my dll.xml - Edit no attach function in PM?

Here is a list

ObjectFlow_YBAS.dll

Object Placement Tool (disabled)

Traffic Toolbox (disabled)

PMDG Options

PMDG Events

PMDG Sounds

PMDG HUD interface

FSUIPC 4

FScaptain

Multi Crew Experience

I already tried the revised .dll yesterday.

I have no malware or Av installed at this time.

i will pm my dll.xml - Edit no attach function in PM?

Here is a list

These are known to us, and should be OK to run alongside fsInsider.dll

I don't know about the Orbx stuff

Just to check it’s not some unknown conflict with another dll, try this.

Remove fsInsider.dll from FSX folder, start the sim and set-up a new flight with default 737 aircraft as the start-up scenario.

Shut the sim down.

Rename “dll.xml” as “original-dll.xml”

Go to \Multi Crew Experience\Support\ folder and you’ll find a similar file “dll.xml” with just MCE references in it.

Replace your file with it.

Start FSX and see if it crashes.

Text

Ok, so i tried that. No Crash unless I introduced fsinsider.dll. I ran an identical setup on Win7 with the exception of YBAS from ORBX. But I doubt that that is causing the issue as I only get a fatal error if FSX tries to load fsinsider.dll. It ran fine even when it was removed even on your MCE only dll.xml file.

Don't you love computers?

Ok, so i tried that. No Crash unless I introduced fsinsider.dll. I ran an identical setup on Win7 with the exception of YBAS from ORBX. But I doubt that that is causing the issue as I only get a fatal error if FSX tries to load fsinsider.dll. It ran fine even when it was removed even on your MCE only dll.xml file.

Don't you love computers?

Please go to FSX installation folder.

Open file "fsInsider.ini".

Change "Debug=0" to "Debug=1" and save the file.

Following crash send "fsInsider.log" to support(at)multicrewxp.com

Thanks