Sign in to follow this  
jjjallen

New Build Considerations

Can anyone suggest the best hardware for a new FSX build. I am mainly interested in an OC of 4ghz+ andwill be running on Windows 8.

Cheers and TIA

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Hi Allen,

A good place to start is looking at different posts here, the configurations are usually the same, and my blog gives you an idea of what is right for FSX. Just scroll down for the hardware guide. Link.

Thanks Word Not Allowed - you site is a great resource. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Is P3D a must instead of FSX in your opinion?

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

I wouldn't go P3D only quite yet. There's still a bunch of addons not properly working in it. Also some question the Academic license and how it relates to the EULA, especially when it comes to releasing products for P3D at an entertainment level.

I see P3D as a WIP, like XP10. I'd wait for P3D v2.0 as a starter.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Is P3D a must instead of FSX in your opinion?

A must definitely not. With the tweaks in my guide, when applied, you get virtually the same performance+smoothness in P3D, like in FSX, in normal conditions. There are here and there positive sides, but all in all, save yourself an aggrevation of not having a startup screen, addon incompatibility etc...

Good to know Word Not Allowed. I never understood the P3d draw but I suppose it has some advantages.

Here is the MoBo for starters. Any memory suggestions since you seem to be on top of hardware?

Also I'm not interested in integrated graphics so is the 3570k still the best option?

TIA

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Haha, on top, almost, I think I'm just tagging along and giving my opinions :lol:

The Deluxe is a fine mobo, though do consider going PRO. Question yourself if you really need DELUXE features.

RAM: that question is just too simple. Good brand, like OCZ, Crucial, Corsair... 2600Mhz with lowest CL you can afford or there is.

The best options are 3770K or 2700K. 3770K goes up to 4.8Ghz with decent cooling, over that have to delid it, 2700K might hit 5.0-5.2 with decent cooling. I explained it all in detail in my guide though.

X79 is a different CPU and sockel. Brings no advantage in FSX though, as the FSX relies on IPC, and there is not real benefit from going 4 -> 6 cores and the quad dram. There have been tests beyond initial 2600K and GTX580, which was a revolution for FSX as a combo, beyond that, hardware has made no advancements when FSX is considered.

You might as well get first gen SB mobo and a 2500K, if you clock it to 5.0 and stick in a fast RAM, you'll probably be not much slower than the fastest 2011 SB clocked under same conditions (cooling). Never tried it though, but from what I have been reading around.

I bit the bullet Word Not Allowed. Thanks for your help.

So what did you get?

Hey jja,

Good to see you hereabouts again. Looks like you are going to have another winner. You were the highest 2600K overclocker in the world at one point wern't you- 5.4 or 5.6 Ghz or something like that? Right? Ah, the good old days...

Kind regards,

Ohhhhhhhh, you're gonna be having a blast with that one!

Only thing I would say...

the H100i is soon to be available in the UK, not sure about the US. offering better cooling than the standard H100 and Corsair link out of the box

Even better... the NZXT Kraken X60 is also available soon, offering a much bigger radiator than the H100. If it will fit in your case of course.

http://www.corsair.c...cpu-cooler.html

http://www.nzxt.com/...oler/kraken_x60

I'm about to build myself, similar spec to you. Will use my NH-D14 and then get the Kraken when available probably, if the reviews are favorable. Will have to mod my case a tad.