Sign in to follow this  
HexOmega2319

Recently upgraded my system, FSX stuttering? CFG inc.

OK, let me just be short about this one:

3770 - 4 logical cores and 4 virtual cores.

HT - hyperthreading - if you open taskmanager, and in Performance Tab, under CPU usage History you see 4 boxes means HT is disabled, if you see 8 boxes, HT is enabled and should not be except if you REALLY need it (video encoding for instance)

and finally if HT is off: AM=14, for HT on AM=84

Anything else is false.

But as it's always being said with FSX: YMMV, so do whatever you feel is best for your computer.

How have you altered the graphics card settings? I own a Dell XPS 8500 (see specifications listed) without overclocking. Neither Bojote or Word Not Allowed's tweaks were able to improve my performance, and I still receive approximately the same frames per second as the original poster does. I always thought that this was an issue with the AMD card. I am too unfamiliar with tweaking to understand what could be going wrong.

I haven't really done a lot to the video card settings beyond making sure that things are set to "application controlled" and the AMD Tessalation Optimized is turned on.

There only two AM settings: 14 for 4 core CPUs, 62 for 6 core CPUs. Using any other number will not make FSX use the virtual cores (HyperThreading). FSX can use up to 256 real cores, no virtual.

Dave

My task manager doesn't agree with you. With it set at 254, the first virtual core has almost no activity but the other seven show moderate activity.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

My task manager doesn't agree with you. With it set at 254, the first virtual core has almost no activity but the other seven show moderate activity.

OK, fine.

OK, fine.

I don't mean to be argumentative or crappy with you, and like I said, I'm not an engineer. You probably know more about these things than I do. I'm just reporting what I'm doing; my scenery sliders are maxed and I'm getting great performance from FSX. Maybe there is something else entirely that is causing that.

I tried explaining it couple of posts ago.

You still didn't say if 4 or 8 windows in the task manager.

Either way, 254 makes no sense, but IF you have 4 windows in task manager, then you are running with HT disabled, which would mean in binary 1111 1110, basically the system will be ignoring the "1111", and using the 1110, and would be the same as running 14. Using 254 you're unnecessarily possibly confusing FSX.

OK, FINE.

It's been explained to you atleast 3 times.

Over and out

Dave

He is running HT.

He stated one not really being used, and seven others being used.

I know of no real mainstream chip that has 8 cores non virtual.

Wow OP! I used to operate one of those!

Anyway, I'd like to hear how it all turned out after Word Not Allowed's help. Maybe there is something you can share with others.

One thing I'd like to mention (from Paul J in the DX10 forums) is to try Alacrity PC. It can shut down non essential programs and restart them when you are done simming. Can't hurt and can save you some memory.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

OK, FINE.

It's been explained to you atleast 3 times.

Over and out

Dave

OK. My apologies. I read up on this and got my terminology straightened out. As I read Intel's site, there are four physical cores which through hyperthreading appear as 8 virtual or logical cores. So I am using hyperthreading. I will say that the AM=254 does cause the task manager to show the 8 threads with the 1st being unused and the other 7 being used. Intel goes on to say that you only need to turn off hyperthreading on operating systems that are not optimized to use it.

Wow OP! I used to operate one of those!

Anyway, I'd like to hear how it all turned out after Word Not Allowed's help. Maybe there is something you can share with others.

One thing I'd like to mention (from Paul J in the DX10 forums) is to try Alacrity PC. It can shut down non essential programs and restart them when you are done simming. Can't hurt and can save you some memory.

Oh the Commander 15? Yeah I love operating the loaders. The MD10's bellies are much better to work with than the A300s, AKE's always getting stuck and such. I'm going to reinstall my FSX under just the Cdrive, remove both avast and MWB and I will have Word Not Allowed look at it again. Hopefully it will be good news...

We'll see. It's all quite puzzling, that FSX didn't even want to boot when I deleted the FSX folder under %APPDATA%.

Just leave the FSX naked please, no addons or anything. We want to exclude any possible problems. And if first test successful, I'll let you configure and run FSXMark11, to benchmark the FSX.

She's all naked and ready to be played! :lol: I've only installed SP1 and SP2, and FSX is now on a dedicated hard drive partition. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Hex,

I see that you encountered some issues. Did you resolve them and how?

I'm thinking about upgrading to an i7-3770K or i7-3939K desktop cpu for FSX.

Thanks,

Sanjay