Sign in to follow this  
19dcavscout

Side-by-side error in FSX with Windows 8 Pro

I installed Windows 8 x64 Pro yesterday and now cannot get FSX to start. I am getting this error: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail." I have done some research and thought my C++ Redistributables were somehow no longer installed and have reinstalled them all that I could find on Microsoft's website to no avail. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. Thank you.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Yes, go back to windows 7.

Sorry mate I had to say it! xD

Honestly I have no experience on win 8 but have you checked if the .net framework fsx requires is installed? Have you tried compatibility mode? (if it exists)

I've seen people say great stuff about win8 and clean installs working fine right after, but personally I'm going to stick with win7.

374968.png

Edited by firehawk44
Removed specs.

It installed and runs fine for me. It should still launch in native, only you will probably experience the disappearing joystick bug. Are you installing to program files?

Whenever you install FSX, SP2, and/or Acceleration, plus any addon to FSX, the appropriate Microsoft Visual will be installed. The most common is 2005. There's a 2005 SP1 too that needs to be installed as it arrived too late to be loaded with the Acceleration program. These tell your operating system how to install your software properly in order to make FSX or the addon run properly. They are not backward compatible so you will need 2005, 2008 and 2010 packages. After you install them, run Windows update to make sure you have the latest installed.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I did not do a fresh install with hopes that I would not have too. The more the days go by, the more I am thinking I am going to have to. I don't think I have found the 2005 version yet so I will try that. Thank you.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Here is the link to the 2005 version - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387. Make sure you download and install the x86 version as FSX is a 32 bit program. Here is the link to the SP1 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14431.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you. That fixed one problem, and opened another. Now it is saying that my DirectX 9.0 isn't working. I am downloading that now and then we will see how it all works.

Nick Hatchel

I installed Windows 8 x64 Pro yesterday and now cannot get FSX to start. I am getting this error: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail." I have done some research and thought my C++ Redistributables were somehow no longer installed and have reinstalled them all that I could find on Microsoft's website to no avail. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. Thank you.

So this was an "upgrade" install of Win8 from ? Unfortunately have no idea how to trouble shoot this, but this is the kind of thing why I only do clean installs. I let Win 8 installer create/format my boot partition then installed FSX sp1/sp2 no problems. Yes, I have to install every addon one by one but it's worth it to me (in my old age I forgot about many addons and various "tricks" I used in installing them, but starting from scratch with addons at least refreshes my memory, and if nothing else don't bother installing something never used).

Wish I had some better advice but the whole sxs thing is why it's harder to just move an installation from system to system.

scott s.

@ Scott - I think a lot of problems occur when you try to move your FSX install from one OS to another because of the need by FSX for MSV's 2005, 2008, and 2010. FSX and all addons, including Acceleration, include the appropriate MSV when installed if not found on the system. The person who moves a complete installation to a new OS will simply download the FS Registry Repair tool from FlightOne and they will now have the registry repaired where it can see the FSX installation. However, Windows 8 does not install MSV's except for the latest one and, like I said above, the MSV's are not backward compatible. There have been a couple of individuals who have tried to prove me wrong on this and uninstalled them and subsequently had problems starting up FSX. They had to go back and reinstall all of the packages.

A clean install would be best but more tedious and complicated (and who wants that? LOL). Another important program required for a successful FSX operation is the proper Microsoft.net. According to Google, these are not backward compatible either and FSX is usually looking for dotnet 3.5 but versions 1 and 2 are required too, especially if you have FS9 also installed. FSX will probably run okay with the latest version of dotnet (4.5) but evidentually a CTD will occur as the older versions have different options developers selected when they developed their product. Dotnet is used by developers to run their software/addon and it also manages memory for the program.

I still say your "solution" to do a clean install is best but it is doable without a clean install as long as you reinstall the MSV's and dotnets.

@192cavscout - Glad you got it mostly sorted. I definitely do not understand the DX9 error. You can go to your "Run..." command and type in dxconfig then click okay and that will show you what errors, if any, are with your installed DX9. You might need to reinstall your video card drivers too.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

So far on my Win8 system I have had to install VC 2005 and 2008 and .net 3.5. Haven't had any DirectX issues yet (running NVidia 310 betas). Don't have a controller connected though, and I see some reports of controller problems in win8.

scott s.

Disaster struck for me. I upgraded to Windows8-Pro from Windows7-Ultimate (64 bits) and FSX/SP2 and all its add-ons ran perfectly. As I ran into a problem with another application I did need to execute a "refresh" of Windows8. After this "refresh" finished I missed about 90% of all applications that were installed on my computer, amongst them FSX, all add-ons, and Visual C++ installments. When I attempted to reinstall FSX installation aborted at the time DirecX-9 was to be installed. I followed up all suggestions and instructions found on the several MS and 3rd party sites, but I kept on getting an error message stating that the cryptographic service should be running, which it was, and that a cabinet file certification was not valid. I do hope someone here can give me some more hints, hopefully successful ones, that will get me up and running FSX again. Thanks beforehand. Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

execute a "refresh" of Windows8

This means you got to keep most of your personal settings but it reinstalled Windows 8 thereby wiping out your previous system registry.

cryptographic service should be running

This is a possible fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim. Unfortunately this fix didn't work for me (It's a Windows7 tool). Apparently there is no "FixIt" for Windows8 yet and I did try to apply the fixes mentioned in the KB article manually. No luck either. Have you got any other ideas? Thanks and best regards, Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Have you got any other ideas?

Only solution left is to completely uninstall FSX, make sure all FSX related directories are removed after the uninstall then run a registry cleaner and clean the registry then reinstall FSX, run FSX, install SP1, run FSX, then install SP2. Here's a good guide to use to uninstall FSX as it is very complicated and then reinstall it - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks very much, Jim. Many, many hours later I now am up and running FSX again. The last suggested option in the document did the trick. I created a new user with administrator privileges and within that user account I was able to install FSX. Then misfortune struck again. SP1 no longer is available at MS's download center. Fortunately a 3rd party still had SP1 available for download. After installing SP1 and running FSX once I attempted to install SP2. Party time again...SP2 didn't install. No error number, just some information that the installation failed. Duh. Then I remembered I still had FSX Acceleration and if I remember correctly, correct me if I am wrong, that pack contains SP2. So I installed Acceleration and lo and behold, all went well. All seems to be working now and I do hope all add-ons I have will install correctly, too. Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated. Best regards, Hans (if only my Enter key would work in this editor, there would be some linefeeds in my notes as well :rolleyes: )

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe