Sign in to follow this  
VPA481

AS2012 SP2: "Circle of clouds 2, the sequel"

Hi everyone,

I installed AS2012 SP2 beta. Some information before reporting the thing, if it may help

My rig: I7E870 o/c 3,5, 8Gigs RAM, ATI 5870 HD, win 7-64.

Main add-ons: ground environnement, AS2012 weather engine+ textures, FSUIPC paid.

Here we go. Since I installed the beta, I made 4 IFR flights, between FL250 and 390, always in dense cloudy environnement. One thing suddenly appeared, and I know some experienced in the past and not me until now: a large circle of clouds under the a/c.

As far as it is not normal, and I would like to recover my cloud coverage to the horizon:

Q1: Does the set up of the beta change any option in FSX ?

Q2: Does the set up of the beta change any option in AS ?

Q3: Does the set up of the beta change any option in FSUIPC ?

Q4: What may be the way to have again clouds to the horizon ?

Any help appreciated.

Regarding the rest of this beta:

- no impact (neither worse nor better) in terms of performance, I never had on this PC for FSX,

- some more interesting options is an advantage, but the list of them may frighten a newbie,

- the start screen loading options automatically when you choose VFR / low IFR / high IFR is a plus, for those not willing to tweak,

- graphics look even more gorgeous,

- after 8 hours, which is really view, no stability problem. Fyi, I always upload flight plan, setup weather influenced graphics.

- generally speaking, the products follow-up of the dev team is top notch.

For what it's worth, I've never had cloud coverage to the horizon.

Check your AS2012 visibility options for Maximum Surface Visibility and Maximum Upper Visibility, and the FSX option for Cloud Draw Distance and possibly maximum visibility. There may be other visibility options that affect this as well.

Generally, at some point FSX will stop rendering clouds. If the visibility is set higher than this distance, you will see the edges of the cloud rendering. If it is set lower, it hides the edges. Having lower visibility hides a variety of discrepancies, and not just with clouds.

Larry Hookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Which Depiction mode is in use here? We are aware of some issues with cloud clearing, one is when DWC mode is active and "Local Writes with DWC" is also active, in some areas, with some data conditions, clear areas (i.e. under the aircraft) of clouds can occasionally be seen. If you are using DWC please try without local writes with DWC to see if that improves the situation. We are working to improve things here with SP2 regarding cloud coverage.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Damian,

Thank you for the follow-up. I'll confirm the option in some hours when back home.

More over:

- since sp is installed, I have again what I didn't see for ages: sudden weather change. As soon as weather is updated, clouds (dis)appear

- I've got a line in FSX saying "weather updated". It was disabled before SP.

Will give you all options later.

Regards.

- since sp is installed, I have again what I didn't see for ages: sudden weather change. As soon as weather is updated, clouds (dis)appear

Did you disable all weather options in FSUIPC? I had that problem but it's much better now that I have disabled them.

James Goggi

Hi,

So I confirm DWC is checked, local station writes is checked. I uncheck the last one and try a flight.

All FSUIPC weather options are unchecked.