Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 11/17 Crashed DC-3

Some of you might have already seen this. I haven't seen any of the crashed DC-3's myself as I'm usually flying at night on clandestine missions where these are supposedly located.

I guess now I'll get my chance to see one.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Cool! I thought this was one I'd already gotten, but that must have been another crashed airplane.

Time to fire up Flight again.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Just curious, do you guys keep a list somewhere of those you have and those you don't?

I've not got many as in the early days my better half said to me "the aerocaches are mine, don't collect them." she hasn't had time to hunt for new ones and I've felt guilty collecting the ones I've sneaked in (as you do) so was just curious.

I've got to say that I'm a bit disappointed in this one. I don't like to spawn right next to the cache but this one is just wrong.

I collected it by taxiing over to it. Note, this is cache number 180 for me. If they keep going, we might get that 200 aerocache reward yet.

I then went back to the runway, took off, flew the circuit and landed. Still wasn't satisfied, so I flew a clandestine job from the airport to Driftwood Bay AFS. That was worth almost 30k ep. So now I'm happy after that 90+mile flight.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I circled over it from the air, then landed, exited, and walked up to it to collect it. The a/c looks as much like a Beech 18 as a DC-3. I tried the E key, but no luck.

sigPicF8.jpg

Just curious, do you guys keep a list somewhere of those you have and those you don't?

I've not got many as in the early days my better half said to me "the aerocaches are mine, don't collect them." she hasn't had time to hunt for new ones and I've felt guilty collecting the ones I've sneaked in (as you do) so was just curious.

I keep a list of each aerocache that comes up. I started this in July when the first Alaska aerocaches were released and as luck would have it, we ran through the Hawaii ones as well. I think my list is pretty complete now. That way I can tell if one is a repeat and if I have it or not.

I also keep a list of all airports I've landed at. That makes it easier for me to look for new ones.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

Note, this is cache number 180 for me.

That was 179 for me, both in game and on site. I thought you were two ahead of me.

I did a flight around the volcanoes on the island before going back to collect the aerocache and land. Took about an hour in the Cub.

I do remember having a crashed aircraft aerocache before, and it was right next to the runway, same as this one. Anyone remember where it was?

Hook

Larry Hookins

I don't think the crashed aircraft was and AOTD, at least I don't have it logged. There was a pretty good thread early in the release of Alaska where people were talking about finding the crashed a/c. I think it was said that they had found three. This is the first for me.

As for my cache number, it's flopped all over the place and has now settled down at 180 in the sim. I guess I need to log into the MS Flight website and see if they agree now.

I just checked the MS Flight site, and it also says 180.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

I don't think the crashed aircraft was and AOTD

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. Heck, might have even been the same one. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

I keep a list of each aerocache that comes up. I started this in July when the first Alaska aerocaches were released and as luck would have it, we ran through the Hawaii ones as well. I think my list is pretty complete now. That way I can tell if one is a repeat and if I have it or not.

I also keep a list of all airports I've landed at. That makes it easier for me to look for new ones.

Wish I'd have done that especially with the airports. There was one which sparked my imagination and I have no clue where it is. I remember picking a random strip in Alaska for a cargo job, the Maul was placed right next to a tree so it was a challenge just to get it moving and avoid hitting the tree (I hit it more times than I can remember) but that wasn't the end of it. The runway was really short, at the end of it was a lake with a mountain straight ahead. The first challenge was getting into the air fully laden without turning into a submarine, after which, one had to avoid said rock! Phew... Wish I had that list!

I also keep a spreadsheet to log all caches and airports. On my MSF profile it says I have landed at 320 unique airports. Without my log it's going to get harder to find new ones.

Darkstar - If you open your career.spb file with notepad, go down a bit and you can see all the airports you have landed at by icao. Print this or take a screen shot and you can create your list or a spreadsheet. I don't think you can find out which aerocaches you have collected though. A while back someone said if you look at the pictures of the aerocaches somewhere in your career files that will tell you. I'm not sure this is completely accurate though. Someone might be able to confirm this.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor