Sign in to follow this  
Kaly

Orbx England What Do You Think?

And the guys who actually worked on those products are generally good guys... ^_^

and that is also true...!! but one bad apple gives a stink to the whole lot especially if it lies right on top, and that is what is truely so sad.. because as you said, there are some brilliant people with good attitudes and willingness to listen to positive critique and actually encourages it like Kevin who posted here.. I just will never be able to work in such a set-up. my heart go out to these people.

and yes I am a flightsimmer and actually a dedicated user of ORBX scenery. I have more then $1000 tied up in ORBX over the last few years (that might be a huge under-estimation as I have each and every product they ever released), and will continue to buy their products, but will never ever be able to stand on a hill shouting out ORBX are best, because frankly the product and the customer service/relation need to be on par, and that is NOT the case at ORBX. As I said brilliant product, crappier then crap customer relations. frankly there are NONE.! (Just my personal opinion)

You are assuming

(1) These are problems with the flight simulator itself, not some poor work. If this was true then other rival products wouldn't have already been more accurate in the same locations.

(2) That no one criticising hasn't had some experience of flight sim scenery development or understand the real limitations of the sim.

Please don't make the same mistake as ORBX as making straw man arguments against critics.

Yes I am assuming. After 10 years in these forums I have become biased after countless undeserved bashing of certain products. All of the bashing has had one result: Developers leaving the forum and the AVSIM community becoming a lot poorer because of it. I really miss the input we had from the ACES team for instance.

I'm not saying all critisism is unjustified, but much of it seems to come from not understandig what the product is, and what it isn't. Constructive critisism is good and developers willing to upgrade and patch their products are winners in my book.

And please, show me the rival product that is more accurate - with full autogen covering all of England!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

@Grumpy.

The way I see it there are too options, either you are not telling the whole truth or you got a warning for no good reason. I'm sure they will sort the kinks out.

And please, show me the rival product that is more accurate - with full autogen covering all of England!

Ultimate Terrain X Europe. Certainly has much better urban landclass placement in my part of the country.

@Grumpy.

The way I see it there are too options, either you are not telling the whole truth or you got a warning for no good reason. I'm sure they will sort the kinks out.

I did tell John he was being unfair for putting words into my mouth. Maybe that was my great sin.

Ok its out ... This is my first Orbx product, im normally a VFR photo scenery user for UK flying but I have mixed views on this right now, I like it ... alot BUT where is my village? I live 3 miles from EGGD and nothing but fields! The Avonmouth area is poorly represented, Brunell's famous suspension bridge has been replaced by a walkway & the quarry where my wife works is a green hole (no she isnt a digger driver LOL), ive built my own vfr scenery objects for Bristol and surrounding areas and at the moment its not compatable ... HOWEVER ... It does not take 3 hours to load via 12 dvd's and cost less than £30, it runs VERY well and looks the part. Is it scenery you can navigate by vfr? NO, Is it better than default ot GEX/UTX? YES, I like it I just dont know if I love it ... Yet!

What are your views?

Rich

Rich

Good to see another EGGD local! Whereabouts are you based? I'm thinking of picking this up pretty soon, looking forward to flying around the area!

Geoff, if you don't mind me asking, wouldn't Orbx's forum be the ultimate best place to have constructive suggestions posted at, I don't think they would mind that over there would they?

Official forums aren't always the best places to post "constructive criticism". I have personal experience of this, since I was banned from one for simply asking a question.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Currently my only issue is that I've 'lost' all the landmark buildings in London even when I revert back to default London is bare! I've some work to do to at lease get back the default scenery, so some rebuilding of the scenery.cfg is next on my list. But got to go out arghhhh. All was well before I installed the new ORBX England so IT has done something.

Hi mate,

Post this over at the official FTX forums and we'll get it sorted out for you!

Greg

Ultimate Terrain X Europe. Certainly has much better urban landclass placement in my part of the country.

If that is the case, then I would regard ORBX England a disaster and stand corrected.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hi mate,

Post this over at the official FTX forums and we'll get it sorted out for you!

Greg

Thanks Greg will give that a go tomorrow.

Official forums aren't always the best places to post "constructive criticism". I have personal experience of this, since I was banned from one for simply asking a question.

I know I was been fashious, look at what happened to Grumpyrocker.

If that is the case, then I would regard ORBX England a disaster and stand corrected.

It is the case about UTX.

=======================================================================================

I still dont get it, after what now...a full year since John started this non sense and still he's replying to his PAYING customers in a way that will make any good business owner blush...Grumpyrocker is right, like it or not.

There will always be peoples who will praise Orbx no matter what wrong they may do and that's ok, I got a friend who got this scenery and is not tooooo happy about it, his first reaction on the phone with me was to say "How can they release an unfinished products like this"....he went further as saying that he can understand about ironing bugs here and there as it is always done after releasing a product but he could not understand why this product was not fully tested before been release as Grumpyrocker stated himself.

My only concern is that people appear to have doubts regarding this scenery. Everyone seems to be asking about of its any good before buying it. My only concern is whether it's compatible with UK2000 scenery.

Anyway I'm sure if this scenery is that good. These kind of threads wouldn't exist?!

I did a short flight last night and England looks great. Keeps you looking out the window. I was in Eaglesoft CJ1+v.2 and kept at around 4000 ft. Quite a view.

I've just completed yet another 1/2hour stint in ENG and while I was happy at first, I understood about the level of detail and the enormity of the job they took on, my enthusiasm has taken a nosedive.

The more I look, the more obvious mistakes and omissions I see.

I'm not going to bother with it again until an SP arrives, then I'll see. If this were Flight1 I'd ask for a refund. Shame because it's the first - no, the second, product I've been disappointed in. The first was S45, released unfinished but soon to be rectified and from what I've seen to the high standard that is a hallmark of Bill's work.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I'm thinking of starting a team to develop the UK scenery to the standard required by Grumpyrocker and others who are dissatisfied with the ORBX release. It will feature pinpoint accuracy for every village, complete with a guarantee that there will be at least 20% of the major landmarks evident in every city, town or village. All non urban areas will be handcrafted to perfectly represent all farms, nature parks, national parks, forests, woods, moors and the like.

The estimated cost of developing this scenery to the standard required to satisfy every UK flightsimmer inspecting his or her local area for omissions and errors, is two million, eight hundred thousand pounds (2,800,000 pounds). A team of twenty highly skilled developers will be assembled and the project is expected to take no more than eighteen months to complete.

What I need from the flightsimming community is for everyone who feels they could use such a product to put their hands in their pockets and subscribe with funds to get us started. Let's say we have 2,800 UK simmers who want this extra level of detail. All I'm asking is for each and every one of you to put up 1,000 pounds and we will develop this scenery to your satisfaction.

So, how about it, Grumpyrocker? Feel like getting the ball rolling by making the first contribution?