Sign in to follow this  
vector

Re-installing FS9

I guess I could try this myself instead of asking but it would take a little while and might not work.

If I copy all of my FS9 disks to a hard disk would it be possible to then re-install FS9 from that hard disk instead of all the individual CDs? If so, would I need to copy each CD to its own individual folder or would I just have to copy all four CDs to the same folder?

Many thanks for any advice.

David

Why would you want to do that? Twice the work, twice the time.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Why would you want to do that? Twice the work, twice the time.

Well, thank you for your most unhelpful reply. I asked if it is possible to re-install FS9 from a hard disk. I didn't ask if anyone would like to question my motive or reason.

David

Yes, it's possible, but the program protection of disk 4 may make thinks more difficult in the copying.

I guess I could try this myself instead of asking but it would take a little while and might not work.

If I copy all of my FS9 disks to a hard disk would it be possible to then re-install FS9 from that hard disk instead of all the individual CDs? If so, would I need to copy each CD to its own individual folder or would I just have to copy all four CDs to the same folder?

Many thanks for any advice.

David

It works absolutely fine. I had problems where the installer would not run from the CD properly but copying the four disks to the HDD was then no problem to install... When it asks for the next disk you just open the relevant folder and click to continue.

Of course you will still need the 4th CD for running the program. Or else you'll have to use some other solution that I don't think is allowed to be talked about on this forum, even though I suspect at least 80% of users are doing it..!

Geoff

This is the advice that I have followed and it works.

I downloaded it from one of the forums about two PC upgrades ago and I have lost the souce so my apologies to the author.

"Create a folder (I named it 'FS9 install' but you can name it whatever you like ) on your desktop (or anywhere) and copy the contents from CD 4 into it.

Then copy CD3, then2, then1 in that order and overwrite (copy and replace) any files Windows asks you to.

To install FS9, click on the setup.exe in the folderand it will install FS9

Install FS9 update.

Then find your no-cd patch, replace your fs9.exe and you are good to go.

I also created a folder named (3rd party software) and added all my 3rd party software int it. So there you have it, your whole FS9 in one folder.

You can put it on a USB or wherever you like or you even burn it to a data DVD as it's less than 2 GB. Now I can do away with those pesky 4 CDs. Also installs a lot faster than the CD install. Hope this helps someone besides me."

Ted

That sounds a good enough reason to do it then. :LMAO:

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Thanks, guys. I found the Hermit's files, and have my original FS9 four-cd set, but the fs9 update eludes me. Any help is for an old simmer who may be losing his edge. Hope not.

Thanks, guys. I found the Hermit's files, and have my original FS9 four-cd set, but the fs9 update eludes me. Any help is for an old simmer who may be losing his edge. Hope not.

Hi! I presume you are referring to the FS9 update to bring it to 9.1 standard? If so, you can download that easily from the Microsoft website where it is still available. Remember that when you download it, you will need to execute it from within your FS9 folder rather than from outside it.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Remember that when you download it, you will need to execute it from within your FS9 folder rather than from outside it.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Really? I didn't know that. Can i do it now after installing addons? Or do i have to on clean install?

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

Really? I didn't know that. Can i do it now after installing addons? Or do i have to on clean install?

Can't answer that one for you - I have always added it just after a clean install and have no idea what effect, if any, it would have on addons.

Bill

I understand your advice. I got the update; searching for it was fruitless vectoring in through the flight department, but found it with google in the old files. I'll see how it goes. My install has a ton of aircraft and scenery add ons. I'll let you know. I needed to reconstruct my DVD which was lost. I'd forgotten about that evil cd-4 nonsense.

Appreciate all the very effective and fast help. Thanks!