Sign in to follow this  
Simmer2050

Any Recommendations to replace RadarContact

I use both RC4 and PFE and like both. It seems RC4 is better at handling big iron and PFE is good at handling GA planes, but that is just my opinion.

I never had a problem reinstalling either one (besides PFE installation being complex compared to RC4 but again that's just me) multiple times. Email the RC4 generated code and a key will be returned within a day (give or take a day on weekends) but they don't restrict you that I have ever heard. Support for both products is superb I might add.

Thanks for the tip, purchased PFE and ProATC already, but just reading manuals at the moment.

As for RC4 license policy not being friendly to PC upgrade, think i have said enough about that already, and its my only motivation for changing ATC addon, otherwise its a descent product.

Dont really mind if PFE install is complex as long as it will not ask me to email request new license if i should change my heat sink.

And that license request better not be on a weekend, which is just about the only time i can fly. Sounds like a raw deal to me, if you paid for the license once already. Can understand big changes like mother board etc, but for goodness sake not hard disk change, and not an email request.

AS2012 was also moved, it automatically updated its license on next startup, other addons just dont bother you at all like Rex+ was also moved. But for RC4 you have to send for for new license and it better not be on weekend, then you not really licensed user of the product, really.

My current options are PFE and Pro ATC.

anybody used both of these to compare.

VoxATC, not sure if one must use voice command only, prefer to use keyboard control, does voxatc do keyboard.

cheers

I use PFE. I think it's the better of the options available. It has a steep learning curve which can appear confusing at first pricipally because PFE uses PF2000 as it's engine. However everything is available. Including SID's, STAR's, Atlantic routes etc. Read the manuel carefully. Make sure your FP is a good one without wpts too close together. Also as with RC4 one can't have a wypt too close to the destination. If there is such a conflict fly the radar approach.

But for RC4 you have to send for for new license and it better not be on weekend, then you not really licensed user of the product, really.

Hello

If you send your licence details in the correct format ie -12345633 ! firstname ! lastname the whole thing is automated, I have never had an issue getting RC registered, but I am aware that some folks find even the easiest things difficult to manage.

I use PFE. I think it's the better of the options available. It has a steep learning curve which can appear confusing at first pricipally because PFE uses PF2000 as it's engine. However everything is available. Including SID's, STAR's, Atlantic routes etc. Read the manuel carefully. Make sure your FP is a good one without wpts too close together. Also as with RC4 one can't have a wypt too close to the destination. If there is such a conflict fly the radar approach.

Thanks for this, been hoping someone who has used both RC4 and PFE will come along and say just this.

My original plan was to end up with ATC addon to replace RC4 due to license flexibility issues.

Now i have ended up with situation where i would like to try/ have option to use various ATC addon listed below in order of prefrence so far.

PFE (Best option for me so far, but more complex )

VoxATC (latest version 6 got good revies and works with keyboard not just voice)

ProATC (olny cause i already purchased it by mistake)

updated my new RC4 license so it works ok now (thanks JD), but next time i upgrade and RC4 should complain about license, i will already be used to using various ATC addon.

Thanks for the help gents, the answer for me turns out to be multiple ATC addon is good to have, just like it is for weather engine and texture.

For now, will continue to use RC4, while i master the other ATC addons, should be fun to try out new ATC.

http://vatsim.net. Crushes the opposition when it comes to ATC addons

Only if and when there are controllers at start, destination and alternate airports. Plus en route controllers!! All available on the route that I want to fly!

As for PFE v RC4: PFE doesan't have robotic voices. And both controller and other AI pilots have regional accents.

Don't want to derail this thread, but the title isn't just misleading, it's plain wrong. Might it be edited to remove the inaccuracy? I have no vested interest in or connection with RC4, but it'd be a shame if the (currently) best ATC product out there lost custom because of this title. Don't mind the OP saying he doesn't like the licence rules, or finds them inconvenient, or whatever - but I think it's unfair to the author to leave it as is.

Paul Skol

Only if and when there are controllers at start, destination and alternate airports. Plus en route controllers!! All available on the route that I want to fly!

As for PFE v RC4: PFE doesan't have robotic voices. And both controller and other AI pilots have regional accents.

That is true. The coverage on vatsim will be incomplete at almost all times. Its a matter if you prefer quality or quantity I guess. Personally I value quality over quantity

vatsim s3

1133704.png

the title isn't just misleading, it's plain wrong. Might it be edited to remove the inaccuracy?

Edited as suggested. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jim Young

AVSIM Forum Moderator

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Also interested in comparisons between ProATC and PFE Deluxe.

My main questions for both of these would be:

- do they include an FO that handles radios?

- do they faithfully follow SID/STAR procedures?

- do they direct AI traffic?

- do they include realistic taxi instructions even for payware scenery? (FSDT KORD/KLAX or FlightBeam's KSFO/KPHX?)

Whichever one does all 4 above would be the winner for me.

P.S.

Also forgot, I know that ProATC now has AIRAC data support from Navigraph, but what about PFE?

For flying in Europe the different accents is very nicely done in PFE.

PFE:

- do they include an FO that handles radios? YES

- do they faithfully follow SID/STAR procedures? MORE OR LESS, READ THE MANUAL TO SEE HOW

- do they direct AI traffic? YES

- do they include realistic taxi instructions even for payware scenery? (FSDT KORD/KLAX or FlightBeam's KSFO/KPHX?) YES

For ProATC:

- do they faithfully follow SID/STAR procedures? YES

- do they direct AI traffic? NO

- do they include realistic taxi instructions even for payware scenery? (FSDT KORD/KLAX or FlightBeam's KSFO/KPHX?) YES (after you run Pete's makerunway program).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

For flying in Europe the different accents is very nicely done in PFE.

PFE:

- do they faithfully follow SID/STAR procedures? MORE OR LESS, READ THE MANUAL TO SEE HOW

- do they direct AI traffic? YES

- do they include realistic taxi instructions even for payware scenery? (FSDT KORD/KLAX or FlightBeam's KSFO/KPHX?) YES

For ProATC:

- do they faithfully follow SID/STAR procedures? YES

- do they direct AI traffic? NO

- do they include realistic taxi instructions even for payware scenery? (FSDT KORD/KLAX or FlightBeam's KSFO/KPHX?) YES (after you run Pete's makerunway program).

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks fellas!

Not directing AI traffic could be the deciding factor. With ProATC, does it take into account if an aircraft is on short final for takeoff/landing?

One of the big drawbacks of RC4 is that it would sometimes clear someone ahead of you for landing then tell you to go around, or clear you for takeoff when someone was on short final and tell that aircraft to go around.

That's probably due to traffic separation for which no ATC programme is available. Only aismooth or aiseparation will reduce the number of go arounds. No "ATC" in the sim controls traffic separation.

I go for PFE because once learnt it's more refined and advanced than RC4. I also prefer not to talk/listen to robots.