Sign in to follow this  
Koosh

Self built FS controls/peripherals

Hello guys!

I'm new to the FS world and I have just made myself a dual keyboard Mod. Got the keys and manual from my purchase @ rodgerdodger. And I'm pleased with the outcome.

My current setup would be the my keyboard & mouse, the dual keyboard mod, and the logitech attack 3.

My plan is to build a radio panel (with knobs to tune which is a way more pleasant way of FS), and another panel which will have (mostly rocker switches) to control lights and several other things. (Would be great if anyone can recommend what common rocker switches are usually used for the intention or learning how to fly. My aim is to fly a commercial airliner but if I believe I would have to start with a small plane possibly the cessna?) And a last controller that has all the auto pilot functions which has things like the VSI, HDG BUG, etc.

I plan to get a second monitor which I will place all my indicators there to look at.

I'm having trouble with managing trims as well. I set my two buttons on the top of my joystick to rudder trim left and right (since I have no pedals and its hard to taxi around without it, let alone manoeuvre in the air) and the center button on the top of my joystick to center the rudder. (I have no idea how to set the rudder to auto reset, is this even possible?)

I have studied Engineering Informatics and have meddled with simple basic chipboards before and I'm no tech-idiot so I was wondering if what I aim to do for this project seems too far-fetched. Would my investment in regards to time and effort be wasted as compared to just buying it off the shelves? (I don't mind spending more time to save costs. My understanding would be that it is cheaper to self assemble and build than to buy off the shelves)

If building your own is not impossible, any recommended websites as to where I can get LEDs, rocker switches, control chip boards and stuff would be great! I live in Singapore to shipping to Singapore would be required (international shipping).

I don't expect to build a pretty looking device. Just something that works. Aesthetic mods can come after building the switches and setting up the boards.

Any advice and opinions are welcomed and thank you in advance!

Cheers!

Jay

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Bump! At the same time, I'd like to add a few things.

With my current set up, what do you recommend in regards to my settings for my controls?

2 x DIY Keyboard mod (from rodgerdodgers)

1 x Razer Blackwidow 2013 ultimate

1 x G500 mouse

1 x Logitech Attack 3 joystick

1 x Logitech Rumblepad 2 controller

Anyone using similar set up? Care to share your controls?

Can you show us your keyboard mod then Koosh?

As for your switches, try eBay, as a lot of the suppliers who "claim" to be in the UK are actually in Asia

Attached image is taken with my iPod Touch thus the quality haha..

So

1) Is it possible to set rudders to auto reset? I'm not sure which to actually set. For example I currently have my top two buttons set to turn the rudder left and right. And I set the middle button at the top of my joystick to "center". Does that center actually sets the current rudder placement as it's center?

2) What kind of boards should I be looking to get to connect my toggle switches and knobs?

3) Have anyone succeeded with a self built flight sim peripheral? If so please share!

Cheers

Jay

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

2) What kind of boards should I be looking to get to connect my toggle switches and knobs?

I would recommend gettting boards from here: http://www.opencockpits.com/index.php/en/iocards/available-cards or http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=85&zenid=066efc4a03dae11ff5912b8894efbadb

Although I have not used them myself, I will be soon(hopefully) and there are plenty of blogs and websites which explain how people have used them! I wish you succes with your project!

Opencockpit website looks great! Can't really navigate well on my Blackberry; do they ship internationally? Specifically to Singapore?

I can't seem to find a good blog which offers help with my project. Would be great if you could be so kind to post the links to the blogs you're talking about here!

Much thanks!

Cheers!

Jay

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk!

I am unsure what countries they ship to as you need to make an account to proceed through the checkout, but if you pay them enough, I'm sure they will :P

This website documents how a guy built a 737ng: http://users.skynet.be/jcordon/cockpit/ he used the opencockpit I/O cards for the TQ and the landing gear lever.

I've seen a few other blogs/websites around but can't find them right now, if I do i'll let you know.

Any news on the blogs? I'm hesitating as it isn't as cheap as I would have expected it to be.

But I'm really keep on this project. Any help/advice would be great. (:

Might want to edit your blackberry/tapatalk signature though... Is it just me that is fed up seeing these over, and over, and over, and over again... :P

ny news on the blogs? I'm hesitating as it isn't as cheap as I would have expected it to be.

I haven't had the time to look recently but I'll be looking soon.

Might want to edit your blackberry/tapatalk signature though... Is it just me that is fed up seeing these over, and over, and over, and over again... :P

As it seems, yes you may just be the only one.

I leave it on because it came default with the app. And its there for a reason, because it let's people know I'm not on my desktop and I may not do certain things at the current point in time with my Blackberry. :P

Then again, you don't hear people telling you to change yours because they are fed up seeing your signature

Richard...

Amateur Pilot and UK Web Hosting Guru :-)

"over, and over, and over, and over again..." do you?

Lighten up mate, was a joke... And unlike those tapatalks, other members signatures are all different :-) Chill out mate..