Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Simpit Running

Just thought I'd post some newer pics of my setup from my last post close to a year ago. Rearranged the overhead to get rid of the visual bar and moved and labeled various components. Planning next week on testing out a projector to see how I like it or stick with the 3x24s. Software is Ifly cockpit builder's version.

e5808dc599b169c0351e1619c4f6db61.jpg

5a937dea2012bc377bcd76abdcdef425.jpg

18838e4a94953354cb4e15e7a04581b5.jpg

e26c965ebcc934c7d8d79937e27494dd.jpg

f884861066145d53f5676191be70486f.jpg

13046ebe5329f94988aeb920f590890c.jpg

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Most pieces were ebay specials and for the most part every goflight module is controlled via iflyfsuipc tool and Lua. I'm able to go from cold and dark to cold and dark using Ifly. I started running faults while airborne and testing out what i could program to correct. I tried to place switches closest to where they are located in RL. I had to think out the box on a few, but it works as i Dont need the VC unless I find a fault I didn't plan on.

Thanks, I'm upset now though as I've mounted the Overheads and now I have a short throw projector enroute, which will require me to move the pit back about 2 feet. Depending on how I like the projector vice 3x24s will probaby add the overhead top back to simulate windows. Learning this is an ever ending hobby.

Looking good.

What projector and screen are you looking at? and how many projectors are you planning to have?

MAnny

I have a ViewSonic PJD7583WI Ultra short throw projector enroute, only 1 for now. I've never experienced a modern projector and this is kind of a trial run for me. I want to see if it's worth it or is 3x24s a better fit for me. I have not ordered the screen yet as I wanted to see how much of a screen am I going to get with 3 feet.

So how do you like the Viewsonic projector vs. 3x24's so far? The views and perspective look amazing!! Very realistic proportions.

I've been struggling with this choice myself, so just curious how you're finding it... ;)

Thanks!

ohsirus

Do you prefer the Projector to your monitor? What about the loss of the camera shake that you would have in your VC? I am assuming, with projector it won't look good in VC.

I love it!! Peering down the runway takes on a whole new meaning. I decreased the zoom some to make up for loosing the peripheral monitors, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Size does Matter..lol. I have not lost the VC shake, it's the VC camera, just the model is commented out.

That's great...any estimate on what your field of view is (degrees) with the new projector? is it more than what you had with the monitors?

It looks like you have a lot more fov, both vertically and horizontally....seems really immersive!

That's great...any estimate on what your field of view is (degrees) with the new projector? is it more than what you had with the monitors?

It looks like you have a lot more fov, both vertically and horizontally....seems really immersive!

Not sure about the Fov as i just decreased the zoom on the projector, but I dont feel like I lost much Fov. I will say its aheck of a lot easier aiming for a large runway than what my monitors offered.

Well, seems like I have changed my mind again and think I'm going to go for a more traditional looking cockpit. Going to start down the long road of building a 1:1 Scale 737 cockpit. :ph34r:

Well after 4 hours and alot of MDF dust later. I'm done for the day. Messed up one piece and had to redo, luckily I bought extra MDF. I followed the guys drawing, but it appears he didn't include/use the two inner high strut pieces. Going to have to investigate, also I haven't thought about how I'm going to reinforce the support structure, but I have some stakes laying around from when I got my deck installed. Tomorrow, might work on the center support structure and mount/cutout the MIP/Pedestal/OH Pictures on some thin Eduboard I picked up.

One thing though that baffles me is how Low it seems to me. I have triple measured the heights and they are correct, but the cockpit seems so low to me. I'm 6'1 and never have been in one to compare, just assumed it would be higher.

null-80.jpg

null-85.jpg

null-86.jpg

null-87.jpg

null-88.jpg

Today, just focused on the core. Need something sturdy for the other parts to be based off of. So I reinforced the CDU bay. Would love to say all my cuts lined up perfect and I have no rework, but luckily I have wood filler as I have a few spots that will need some work. I had the silver bracket plates inside to hide them at first, but it felt way more sturdier and the pieces lined up better with them on the outside. So I figure in the future once painted won't be a big issue as they are  in the rear and below view line. Tomorrow tackle the ends and try to figure a way to keep them modular.[DIV]null-94.jpg[/DIV]

Didn't do much this morning, wanted to see how my MCP/MIP would look. Got it setup, but realized that the MCP did not seem right, like it was too far back. Had to find some measurements and sure enough I think I'm 310mm too short (width) on the top board. Also need to investigate the MIPs angle to truly see how far off I am. 'm debating on cutting some extenders for the MCP and Glarewings or just putting on a wider board to support/extend them all. Going to have to examine a few more people's setups. Sort of a chore working without gear on hand.

null-108.jpg

null-110.jpg

null-106.jpg

Well, had a late start today. Put the final measurements on the MIP Glare Wing assembly finally got it right. Also started work on the aft elec pedestal, forgot to add the fire bay :( will work on that tomorrow hopefully. Plan is to prime tomorrow and then who knows.

I still have so much to do. I ordered a FDS SYS- 4 64 in/ 128 out card. I looked at every card available and it just made the most sense. I wanted a 7 segment output card, but Opencockpits seems to be the only one that offers one, but 16 digits per card would be great for a MCP, but I needed one for aft pedestal 64 digits...ouch. I also need to order my FMC, more than likely going to go for OC FMC V3, seems pretty good for the value.

Overhead....going to use my VRi until I sell off my goflight/Saitek System..maybe. I'm glad I bought it back when it was on sale. I can break even if I sell it.

MCP/EFIS/Radios.....all confused.

Pics below, need my MIP so I can get my paint match.

null-113.jpg

null-114.jpg

null-115.jpg

null-119.jpg

null-120.jpg

First Coat, after the second coat hopefully I can add the aluminum border, fuses, handle. The craftmanship looks so much better in the pictures. I jacked up the fire pedestal sooo bad as I started getting too comfortable with my cuts, I'm freehanding now like I'm some pro. Well It won't be seen much so I let it ride. Have to work on the throttle pedestal next week and order my faux leather for the glare.

4608623e17961776f16d5b069fdc1f35.jpg

Well, getting there. Sherwin Williams mixed me up a huge can of Raal 7011 Iron grey so I started laying the coats.

null-127.jpg

510d5a996004d546e0c0a85f356b9624.jpg

Still have not started on the throttle pedestal. Been kind of a flux as not sure what I'm going to do Throttletek or Saitek Mod. Love what this guy did on the cheap. Could build off this.

89840d20460aaed71b672e6c5dcbecbc.jpg

ff5b0b40265da6771fb226a42522ba9d.jpg

52d3a024464483986e8d30be6f024b90.jpg

Well my FDS Sys 4 card arrived today. Great packaging. Haven't hooked it up yet to play. Kind of wished I would have waited and done a wee bit more research as I would probaby have gotten a Sismo as it has a sweet card designed for the MiP and pedestal. Will wait and see as I might have to flip this one.

dae6ef8eec67daa75780a0d91e9c480a.jpg

Still waiting for my paints to dry, been raining all week and some pieces are still tacky so I cant take them out the garage. Was hoping to paint the glare today. Maybe tomorrow.

cab348ea6c76bb6acd7a6dac7b3988d0.jpg

Well, got a few new items in the mail.

null-128.jpg

Had a few issues, but easily remedied.

426642366eda07257be2a7de49dcde47.jpg

Future Trim Wheel?

a517375ecf5d905fb5a252900843ac8b.jpg

Hope to work on the glare shield tomorrow unless Im snowed over. This humidity has really slowed my paint dry time.

c1421ed16cb4d9841227cdaf8a8ce29c.jpg

Now to figure out a throttle pedestal design.

• Upvote 1

Hey, that landing gear handle looks familiar! Hahahah Nice build, brother... Wish you luck...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 1

Not much progress. Finished the last coat on the MCP shelf. Need to figure center supports, but waiting on my MIP Panels to arrive so I can affix my gear lever to one support.

null-153.jpg

One guy recommended uses liquid rubber sealant for the glare wing assembly so I tested it out. It gives the leathery look and a hard rubber feel. Will test it more.

null-150.jpg

Been playing with pedestal builds. Wanted to insert a brake light and some Stab trim switches, but there is no room inside the case. So will have to rethink it. More to follow.

Whoa, what a day today. Got my dog neutered as he was marking my house too much.

Yesterday, got to play with my SYS-4 card from Flight Deck Solutions. Love the fact they give you all the board connectors and all you have to do is connect the wires for input and output. No Resistors needed for LEDs and their InterfaceIT sofware is so easy no code learning needed. Only thing I hate is, the connectors lock down tight and are a chore to remove. and I never understand why IO boards makers have to leave everything open ie resistors/caps/etc. All we need is the connectors!!

null-159.jpg

null-156.jpg

null-155.jpg

Bad spot for Power as the Input and Output are not dummy proof. Can see bad happenings plugging power to the output.

null-154.jpg

Was planning on working on the Throttle pedestal today, started on the Trim Wheels. Was going to cut some circles in MDF, but found some 3 buck circles the exact to scale size I needed so took the easy route. Laying the Black Primer now and hope to lay the paint layers later today.

16a461920a0ce363f2b90469ceead67d.jpg

37366079ba4780f5f9edbcff29f07c97.jpg

Got a box from Opencockpits in today also, was shocked to find after spending darn near 100 bucks for shipping the UPS guy said I owed 30 dollars for some brokerage fee before he could give it to me!!! God I hate ordering international.

d91e27765edf5945807724408828cf79.jpg

Well Packaged, got my FMC V3 and Flap Gauge and Servo Card.

4c725c4e6b24726b7490967a03657d06.jpg

Did not realize how big the FMC is. I kind of thought it would be a little bit smaller, but it feels really good/solid. Keys responsive, nice backlight, great lettering. I was excited to get it running and went to plug it in and the power connector was not seated and it went inside the body! So I had to take it apart and try 3 different ways before I flipped it from right to left and it finally held onto the body.

d692a26355bb2438269b3b1d9599a110.jpg

53e6c69d7e658d4e97cf6c0d6fd1d922.jpg

Long Story short, I played around with the flap gauge card, wouldn't work. Ready you need to deliver +5v to it via 2 pins. Took apart a USB cord, plugged it in to powered hub. Worked, but had a constant hum, did not know if it was normal or not, flipped the servo cable around and "poof" smoke and dead flap gauge. Ordered a new servo from Amazon as it seems a common RC servo. Hope it's no crazy alignment needed. Man , what was I thinking. I should have kept my ole simpit. I'm quickly becoming a carpenter, electrician, programmer, and haven't done a flight in ages!.

null-161.jpg

null-162.jpg