Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Simpit Running

New servo arrived, had to reverse the +5 and control wires. Installed and worked, no constant hum, but took some serious tweaking with the flap gauge gear to find an acceptable range for the servo. Cant go too far into flaps 40 or it will peg over and can't go too far into flaps up and can't reach flaps 40. Think I took it apart 8 times tweaking. Oh well she works great now, tested it out and pleasently satisfied. Next up to bat will be the CDU. Oh yeah I hate Sioc.

null-164.jpg

null-165.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Time to test out the CDU. Wanted to make sure it worked so ran a few tests and let it burn in for a bit. Really like it, OC ver 3 CDU.

null-166.jpg

Backlighted

null-168.jpg

Also managed to get one Trim Wheel done, but messed the other one up so had to resand and repaint.

null-170.jpg

Still need to work on the pedestal, but it's too cold to work in the garage now. Still waiting on my MIP to arrive, it shipped 9 days ago, so it should be here soon.

• Upvote 1

Quick note here.

On the FDS-SYS4X card you were concerned about the proximity of the input and output connectors... I think you misunderstand our design intentions.

Many of our customers use multiple SYS boards. The in/out approach allows you to power more cards down the line by simply connecting the output of the first card to the second. No reason to fear anything as it is simply a "loop"....

This has allowed us to substantially lower the number of power adapters on our large trainers.

Just wanted to interject as this is a very handy feature, not a detriment in any way.

Nice work on your build btw, reminds me of when Steve and I started our first project before FDS took all of our time.

Peter

Postman delivered a big box today from Poland. My MIP and Pedestal Assembly arrived today.

null-172.jpg

It was awesomely packed.

null-173.jpg

Every Item was individually wrapped.

null-175.jpg

null-178.jpg

null-179.jpg

null-182.jpg

null-176.jpg

null-181.jpg

null-186.jpg

null-187.jpg

null-188.jpg

null-189.jpg

Now I have to admit the quality of the panels are great. I knew it was DIY kit. I knew there were no instructions. I tell myself to soften the sting of looking at it all. Imagine a parts explosion and that's what I got. Down to having to drill out the knobs! I knew it was a DIY kit. Going to have to google and email a few who have gone before for some tips. I found the glare wing pinouts so it's a start. I think I should have saved the money on the electronics and just ordered fully finished, but had to stay in my budget. Oh well, I can say it's about to get real now.

Started Sorting and piecing together the Captain's side. Wanting to see how to best proceed. Install electronics then mount or mount first. Still need to figure how to connect all three Mip panels. Thought it came with plexiglass covers, but will have to add that to shopping list.

null-193.jpg

Started testing LEDs as the bags weren't labeled and one of my six pack annunciators did not work so had to replace it and I think I figured out the glare LED pinout, it's 1-9, but upside down.

null-2197.jpg

null-330.jpg

null-1433.jpg

null-894.jpg

null-1736.jpg

null-1471.jpg

null-200.jpg

Now to figure out where this board goes.

null-196.jpg

Well, would love to say I'm up and flying, but truth be told the only thing I have taken out of the Poldragonet box of goodies to work on is one knob.

null_zps27c7a06c.jpg

null_zps10fb0385.jpg

The knobs all gazillion of them come straight out the mold. No paint, no markings, no holes. Was not ready for that. Soo I'm an average guy, not a DIY'r so I had no Taps or Dies, No set screws, no primers, etc. So my first tasking is to get all the knobs ready for affixing. I screwed this one up some by drilling thru the head, but I can fix it and now I know...Mark the stop point on the bit. Also got a 4mm tap/ drill set for the set screws. I' painted/primed/painted/stripped the above knob as it just didn't look right. I need to find the correct paint as what I used was horrible. Oh and drilling these knobs make one big mess. *Sighs* wanted to wiring and tweaking at this stage.

Started clearing/ breaking down the ole sim room as it's time to move the pieces from the basement.

c89d86f566c6b133a40a80bbe5bc681b_zps76361667.jpg

a06dda8c73e1919f3a6f34d9d8b124c2_zps2baa530a.jpg

null_zps84e26a0f.jpg

Was waiting on some casters (wheels) to come in as this time I'm mounting my pit on wheels. Also got a few more items in, LEDs, Wires,etc.

Also not entirely sure if I'm going to use the plastic Poldragonet MIP. I really, really, really hate the 3 piece design. Trying to join and mount them has been an issue I have been thinking about since I got them. The plastic material does not seem strong enough to affix all three into one freemoving MIP. I've ordered a slap of Foamalux PVC board as I read one guy said it was easily cut and strong. My fall back is to just trace the MIP sections on a piece of thin MDF. Either way going to order a can of RAAL 7011 spray paint. More to follow.

Keep at it!

Getting it to a flyable state really helps keep the enthusiasm to build up. I parked mine for a year while wiring as I got bored of building and not flying. Now that I'm flying I'm really motivated for each next stage.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

Keep at it!

Getting it to a flyable state really helps keep the enthusiasm to build up. I parked mine for a year while wiring as I got bored of building and not flying. Now that I'm flying I'm really motivated for each next stage.

Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

+1 Amen to that! I've been guilty of that and that is why with my current C172 build, I am making sure it's flyable throughout the build.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hi

Here some pics of a Boeing knob that a friend of mine shall begin produce.

I get a sample from him , its really good quality. you can see the difference to the Poldragonet knob.

KNAPP1.gif

KNAPP2.gif

• Upvote 1

Brought a few of the items up from the basement.

null_zpse447288a.jpg

Ordered a sample of PVC board to replace the MIP. I have never seen any at my local hardware store, but read a fellow simmers blog who said it was great, easy to cut, and worked well. My early impressions are the same. Easy to cut, light, strong, smooth feel, Going to retrace the three mip pieces into one and two-tone paint it (grey/black). This approach will work way better for the mip stand as all I have to do is affix it to front and then work on the back structure. Now Ihave to place a real order for what I need.

null_zpsf98d7cb6.jpg

null_zpseeb0f545.jpg

null_zpsaaca0a1d.jpg

Vincent

Best wishes on your built..

Are you planning to mount the "overhead panel" overhead, along with the projectors?

Do you foresee a conflict with the projected lighting and the overhead panel, casting shadow while conducting night flights?

I'm gathering info & spec on my 737 built too.

Once again best wishes on your built, keep to pictures and insight coming.

Vincent

Best wishes on your built..

Are you planning to mount the "overhead panel" overhead, along with the projectors?

Do you foresee a conflict with the projected lighting and the overhead panel, casting shadow while conducting night flights?

I'm gathering info & spec on my 737 built too.

Once again best wishes on your built, keep to pictures and insight coming.

I do plan on mounting the overhead, will probably swap out the Vrinsight Overhead sometime in the future. I have an ultra short throw projector mounted high and about 4 feet from the wall, so it's near impossible to cast a shadow unless you get right up on the screen.

Started piecing the MIP together again after I looked into detail Poldragonets online store pictures and realized I am missing pieces! That explains why i couldnt figure out what the grey bars are for and realized the landing gear panel is missing, brake, gauge covers, few more items. What upsets me most is now I have to rely on if they offer great post buy service as when I was a pre sale they were extremely quick to respond. I dont see this going well, but heres to hoping.

Started piecing the MIP together again after I looked into detail Poldragonets online store pictures and realized I am missing pieces! That explains why i couldnt figure out what the grey bars are for and realized the landing gear panel is missing, brake, gauge covers, few more items. What upsets me most is now I have to rely on if they offer great post buy service as when I was a pre sale they were extremely quick to respond. I dont see this going well, but heres to hoping.

Man, that sucks bro. Nothing irritates me more than situations like these. Especially when they are half way around the world! Hope everything gets resolved quickly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Finally found someone that could mix some RAAL 7011 in a spray can form so I can get a smooth finish once my expanded PVC sheets arrive. I need to thank the guy that recommended it as I ran a few tests to see how easy it is to cut and drill and wow am I impressed. I believe a hot knife will also make cuts/shape that much easier also. More to follow.

null_zps20835ff5.jpg

Been about a week, sent a few more unanswered emails to Poldragonet, but I have to be honest I didn't expect a response once they recieved my money. From all my readings I knew I had a 50/50 chance of a good or bad experience. Oh well, will press on, but will probably go with Simworld for future projects.

Been about a week, sent a few more unanswered emails to Poldragonet, but I have to be honest I didn't expect a response once they recieved my money. From all my readings I knew I had a 50/50 chance of a good or bad experience. Oh well, will press on, but will probably go with Simworld for future projects.

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I stick with flightdeck solutions...awesome people and great service

Still waiting on my PVC Sheet to arrive so I can cut out my MIP, expect it tomorrow. So in the mean time worked on my Throttletek Throttle. Hate that it doesnt have a brake light. So I decided to add my own. Lil red 5MM LED and silver holder(Cut in two) some heat shrink/wires and ready for an output card. Had to keep it somewhat small as not my inside or outside clearance. Will add the Stab switches later once I figure out how I want to do it.

null_zps2a17f90f.jpg

null_zps5ebdb3bd.jpg

null_zps0b210c67.jpg

null_zps860df17a.jpg

null_zps12f56cab.jpg

null_zps8dbf77ea.jpg

Seems also that Throttletek will also start offering backlight models and retrofit backlights for those already sold.

PVC Sheets arrived last week. One Black and one Grey. Going to go with the black as all I will have to do is paint it grey, vice painting the Grey, RAAL 7011 and black.

null_zps9935d241.jpg

Reverse trace it out.

null_zps91cfea13.jpg

null_zps380fdd53.jpg

Took about an hour to cut it out with a jigsaw and smoothed out with sander.

null_zpsdee34ce5.jpg

null_zps2239f3ef.jpg

null_zps5e863e2a.jpg

Tested the panels and had to make a few trims around the DUs and AFDS.

null_zps7bc907ce.jpg

Well, up next will be finalizing the MIP stand and seeing how much I will have to trim off the MIP face. Debating on priming it, the white PVC didn't require it, but got a feeling I should prime the black as it seems to be a dust collector.

Well, spent the morning tweaking and smoothing my cuts. Learned that my dremel belt sander can easily melt PVC, kind of good that it makes it soft like clay for easy shaping. Time to solidy the MIP stand now and make the final major cuts before priming and painting.

null_zpse376942b.jpg

null_zps122f5cd0.jpg

null_zpsbf554de4.jpg

Really great watching all this come together for you...congrats! Also a fantastic educational experience for us 'future builders' lol!!

May I ask where's a good resource to get some of these Foamalux PVC sheets? is it easy to work with?

Thanks!

Really great watching all this come together for you...congrats! Also a fantastic educational experience for us 'future builders' lol!!

May I ask where's a good resource to get some of these Foamalux PVC sheets? is it easy to work with?

Thanks!

I ordered mine from Interstate plastics as they had a wide selection of colors and would cut to size. It's called expanded PVC stateside and I went with the 1/4 inch smooth finish. Foamalux, I beleive is the same thing, but it's what British people call it. It's really easy to work with, strong, light, can be threaded, easily painted, smooth finish, can be heat molded if needed. I Love it and thinking of how I can use my spare pieces, I have.

http://www.interstateplastics.com/search.php?searchtext=pvc+sheet&image.x=0&image.y=0&withinsite=1

Small update. Received my smoked plexiglass sheet for the DUs. Took a shot on my Laptop with one side covered to see the difference it would make. It smoothed out the brightness and gave it a more even appearance. Not sure how it's going to look on whatever monitor I decide to use for the DUs though. I'm at a toss up on whether to use clear or smoked. Not sure what the actual cockpit uses. Looking at Youtube it seems to be smoked, but not sure.

null_zpse9abaa99.jpg

So me and my little helper got started early this morning.

null_zps40950cf8.jpg

Have to work while wifey sleeps as she is not as happy about my sim-building weekend time as I would hoped.

Managed to get the MIP cut/sized for easy insertion on the stand. Took a lot of tweaks and shaves and I screed the top cut up royally and have a noticeable gap.

null_zps27bd4b38.jpg

null_zpsbdcc12ba.jpg

I di get the sides right though, and not too worried about the top as I planned on achieving the glare down sweep, just have to figure out how to do it. Also my MCP board is dipping, but once I get the gear lever mount affixed it should add some support to remove some of the bow.

null_zpsb864319c.jpg

null_zps484a814b.jpg

null_zps00b5f8dc.jpg

null_zpsead1ed8d.jpg

My next chore is to attach decorative screws and cut out panel lines. Been testing ways using scraps, razor, hot knife, sanding wheels, to see what gives the best look.

null_zpsd96e1d62.jpg

Lastly one of my ten dollar MIP monitors arrived , minor scratch on the screen, but not too noticeable.

null_zps9b95b6ee.jpg

I ordered mine from Interstate plastics

Thanks for the link to Interstate...are you enjoying working with it so far...seem strong/sturdy enough? Your build is really coming along! Love the $10 monitor!! I've got a few of those myself in 15" and 17" for a G1000 build in the not near future, lol.

Curious to see whether you go with the smoked or clear. That final picture looks great, whichever one you have applied to the screen.

Good thing we can always count on 'man's best friend' as an FO!! :)