Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Simpit Running

Nice day outside, hopefully the drying will speed up. Suspect my neighbors are wondering what the heck is on the deck. Also tried a few clear coat sealers on a sample, but suspect powder'd paint is not compatible.

f14437e700e7fca5343312690859f602_zps79cb

Got my Black Glue bars so I can start attaching LEDs to it.
f9ec762d20b0855bfdc12c3a364894e4_zps076e

Really hoping to get alot done on this weekend, but suspect wifey has spring cleaning on the mind :(

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good Weather really sped the drying process, on my FO side my marking lines are meshing with the paint lines so it doesn't appear as sharp as the Capt side. Will probably retrace it with a black sharpie. Note to self, stay away from grey sharpie as it took heavy coats to fade them away. Hope to attach the DU frames tomorrow and OMG E-6000 glues is so strong, but what a stink! 2 days later!

null_zps11e9e0e4.jpg

• Upvote 1

null_zpse361760b.jpg

null_zpsb17a3354.jpg

Still need to tweak the Upper Eicas and Fo monitor some to the left. Hope to attach DU screen tomorrow.

coming along fine for some spring time flying.

So today was planning on attaching the DU frames and the annunciators. Trying to figure out a method of how to ensure the led/annunciator pairing will go smooth. Got sidetracked though and took the monitors out and tweaked the cuts to the left a hair to hide the bezels. Also ran some tests again with my smoked plexiglass. It dawned on me since attaching the smoked glass to the DU frames made the colors to dim, how about just attaching it straight to the monitor and using the plexiglass on the frames. Better Idea!

It's hard to show the color difference using my phone's camera, but below are two pics same lighting /same angle.

This one is no smoked glass, just monitor. The DUs have a lot of backlight, the blacks are washed out and the colors have a bright gamish look,

null_zpsd77351cb.jpg

This one has the smoked tint. The blacks are blacked and the colors are tighter with less bleed. It might look a little darker in the picture, but it's not too dimmed.

null_zps8a15f813.jpg

Also started working on the MIP Lip and decided to add a protective enamel gloss to the frame to give it more of a metal look and    

some protection as the powder spray seems susceptible to rubs/nicks.

null_zps396ffc2e.jpg

Now that I've tweaked the monitor positions, Time to affix some wood so I can mount them. Bad thing about when you strip a monitor out of the case you loose your support system as most of the back electronics assembly is not attached to the lcd. So some ducktape , glue, and wood. Now I can screw some brackets into the wood and affix to the stand.

null_zps6ef659c0.jpg
Gotta love Vegetables.

Homemade monitor mounting brackets courtesy of Instamorph. Might reboil them and make just one big one for each monitor.

null_zps564649d0.jpg

null_zpsdd08bb37.jpg

Was going to attach all the annunciator and frames today, but after attaching the lip some glue bled thru so had to scrap and repaint over the excess. The lip also takes some of the wobble out the pvc so the  annunciators won't pop out. One good thing about E6000 glue is it's really strong, but allows some bend.

null_zps3323a084.jpg

While that's drying was going to run starter wires to the glare wings, but decided I'd be better off getting connectors for the pins due to the close proximity of each pin. I could solder it, but work smarter not harder. 

null_zps78a14718.jpg

Placing the annunciators proved to be way more of a chore than I thought. Trying to get just enough glue on each, but not too much. Also I had to place LEDs rearside and glue the annunciators on top to ensure placement. Then I had to pick the LED out from the rear to make sure the glue didn't grab them too. 

null_zpsc5556ae2.jpg

Found a guy who is making me some labels.

4df20eeb6a9f420c47a3d3d60502aadb_zps75e0
2971acb6976eab3a1272feb5b0cd445a_zps1a05
78a4bf8f6129cccb53b1faa379cae2dd_zps7afe

Gauge Cover WIP
1d7a40ca471df4e6c2399340f37396bf_zps89eb

Can finish the glare wing wiring now.
42300c35e90802f50a94972cfbe87c0c_zps60cb

Well this weekend the misses had me knee deep planting flowers. I swear I don't get women's fascinations with them.

Finally started on the lower panels after figuring out how I was going to proceed,

Cut some PVC strips for the panels and traced them out.

30591332508104e498992397b0ba92f9_zps0430

d6315ba5813d5992b5950dda8a74a41e_zpscc8a

Had to cut out holes for the backlight.

fec058c9ac9d918513596e10ab12f23a_zps440f

Perfect fit. Added slim rails for them to sit on. Will probably add some underside Velcro for hold.

277b3ad241ee34f0c22b7241d8a28432_zps9182

bb674781b5f34bd4f073a39affb34364_zpseba4

More to do on them, ie cut out the electronic holes and add the end border/paint/prime/etc.

In the above picture you'll notice my FO side has no monitor. Well it did up until I added the back support to it and it crapped out. So had to junk it and scour Ebay again for a cheap used 19in monitor. I knew I should have stayed with Acer, but alas my new one arrived today. Been testing it out today, holding out on stripping it till tomorrow.

null_zps24beb504.jpg

Did a little work on the lower panel. Drilled out the electronic holes, one thing I love about these plastic sheets is that they are easily thread. My switches, etc with threads just screw right in. I also have the border curing for the night.

null_zpsd7e17c84.jpg

Today after yard work 2.0 felt like doing a little something on the pit. So I worked a little on the CDU bay, cut the cover and played with the placement of its contents. Also thought about how I was going to hide the lower monitors cutouts. Should have stripped the FOs monitor and had it curing for the night, but I'm tired now.

null_zps5c695eb7.jpg

null_zpsba665400.jpg

So started laying paint on the lower panels and cdu bay cover. Then decided to install the new FO monitor which required new cuts and tweaks to get it to sit right. Still haven't attached all the panels or wired up the electronics, but did attach the gear lever rubber cover and fired up the client pc once I cleaned out all the MDF dust out of it.

8c11750476aa265110cca99473a2ed8a_zps8f0f

3d70fe35e76a61a849a200499b576c21_zps4b4e

4d2a5ee06ecd873d26181056a2fcf529_zps6b52

4923ed7ca9e6e708b686ba082b2f8580_zps018e

Looking very good...ah, gear up already :)

Ooops..lol

CDU bay prepped. The FO side looks so bare, not sure if I'm going to with the imitation FMC or just print a copy out. Next item, try and figure out the monitor mount.

null_zpse21a4131.jpg

Are you able to supply the construction plans for the CDU bay? I'm getting the FDS CDU and would am building the lower section of cockpit. The dimensions sure would help.

Thanks

Justin

Are you able to supply the construction plans for the CDU bay? I'm getting the FDS CDU and would am building the lower section of cockpit. The dimensions sure would help. Thanks Justin

Good Site for info/ideas

http://www.737ngproject.be/FWD.htm

Started working on affixing the lower Eicas Monitor. Decided to add the smoke filter beforehand, but after testing the monitor is not bright enough so it looks dimmed. Removed it later, but will have to add a black border around the screens rim to hide the electronics.

null_zpsd0733836.jpg

null_zps19f36ce7.jpg

null_zps25237434.jpg

Removed tint and finally time t start punching holes to run wires/cables.

null_zps2f36a132.jpg

null_zps4f01fb7d.jpg

Since I Finally got the CDU bay ready.

8fc7da97-7149-42e4-9ec5-5469f1814e18_zps

Decided to start working on the wiring harness for my Glarewings. I already had the left glarewing pinned out so I assumed the right one would be similar or the same. After about 30 minutes trying to figure out why no LEDs would light, I took it apart to trace the foil runs and test the LEDs. All the LEDs worked, but not from the back pin connectors. So I figured out that a wire was missing here.

null_zpsb54cea9e.jpg

Added a temp jumper for testing.

null_zps56876000.jpg

Attached a permanent fix.

null_zps64026933.jpg

One down, one to go.

null_zps00f6036f.jpg

Looking great Vincent!  PM me, I have some perfect light covers for the Parking brake on the TTek...  They came in packs of 4 so I will share some with you.  My contribution to the project :)

Small update, One thing that bothered me was the distance of the lower panel to the DUs.

44fab4a3-102d-45bf-b10b-4feac3402338_zps

I tried to live with it, but every time I looked at a reference photo I would notice the difference. 

So I decided to raise them, but would need to add some support to hold them. So I added some some triangular supports to raise them, but would have to trim the lower panel some to get rid of the overhang.

null_zpsc5bf4685.jpg

null_zps1ad000a5.jpg

While using my jigsaw to trim, I shook the frames loose requiring me to reglue them..grrrr

null_zps422f6990.jpg

In the meantime managed I finished my glarewing wiring harness and tested it with the sys4 card. Worked great!

null_zpse69e7b33.jpg

Also started preps for wiring the MIP as I wanted to be able to remove panels/mip separately if needed and had to figure a connection scheme. Also wanted to work out m wiring color for IDing issues. I settled for a red/back blue/black scheme wiring scheme.

null_zps19f195d2.jpg

Still waiting for my labels before installing the LEDs.

Very boring day of soldering, soldering, and more soldering. So happy to be done (for the day) and get this flux off me hands. Managed to knock out both AFDS and a glare wing. Also changed my mind on raising the lower panels. So I had to break off the triangular supports, remove the adhesive, and repaint. Two steps forward, three steps back. Tomorrow plan is to piece out the MIP LEDs and wire up starter wires on them so I can glue them into the MIP eventually. Was going to just wire up a strand of 8 and glue them in, but figure it would be easier one at a time. While I'm thinking about it, I have some uber strong black tape that could also hold them in with little fuss or mess. Will have to experiment as usual.

null_zps901289f8.jpg