Sign in to follow this  
byork

ATTENTION WINDOWS 8 USERS

Captains,

Windows 8 has been released as you all know.

I personally like it, even though I never use Metro.

Some relevant notes:

1. For non-American users: To set your speech recognizer to English - US, you will need to download the English US language pack from Microsoft, EVEN IF YOU ARE A UNITED KINGDOM USER (this is different from Windows 7).

The GREAT news about Windows 8 is that EVERYONE and ANYONE can download the English US language pack from Microsoft. This is a huge bonus for FS2Crew because previously with Win 7, only Ultimate and Enterprise users could do this.

So if you're a German or French or Italian or a Japanese, now you can easily be 100 percent Voice Control capable without any hassle.

2. Don't be turned off by the nay-sayers, Windows 8 is a good OS. I've been using it for months with 0 problems with any devices or software. You don't have to use Metro (I never do) and if you're in love with the Start Button, you can easily get it back via 3rd party apps.

Just do a "Clean" install on a formatted HD. Don't try upgrading as that can get messy very easily.

Cheers,

Just obtained Windows8...

Purchased fs2crews for the PMDG J41 and PMDG 737NGX voice version...

I would assume that the manuals written for Windows7 and below, would work with Windows8 OS..

It there are any changes, I would like to know...

Bob Adams

Bob Adams

Any alternatives for those that bought computers with Windows 8 Single Language? That version doesn't support language packs and it seems it can't be upgraded.

Pedro Espindola

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own2_378x68.jpg

Which version of Windows 8 do you have?

My understanding was that even the non-Pro version allows you to install new languages:

http://www.ghacks.ne...e-to-windows-8/

and:

http://www.zdnet.com...o-editions/4801

and:

http://techmell.com/how-to/download-install-language-packs-windows-8/

Hey Bryan,

Yeah, I know Microsoft says that "everyone can download language packs", but it's not completely true.

I have Windows 8 Single Language in Portuguese It came with my computer and it comes with many new computers here in Brazil and some other non-English speaking countries (Russia, China, Spain, etc), the "emerging markets". There's very little information about it, but it seems to be identical to the non-Pro version except that you don't have any way to change your language or upgrade the system at all. It offers for me to buy an upgrade to Pro but when I try it says it's not available for my country. Not even if I wanted to expend the extra money (which I could spend on fine addons) just to have voice recognition, I can't. I'm stuck with it. I can't do a clean install either because of the key in the BIOS. So I guess I won't be using voice control.

Well, thank you for your help, Bryan

Pedro Espindola

Hi Pedro,

Hmmm, I wonder why Microsoft would do that, especially when they say "everyone" can download it.

You should email Microsoft and complain.

You could try vistalizator (www.froggie.sk)

But I have no idea if that'll work with Win 8.

Hi Bryan,

I think the purpose is to avoid piracy. I'm waiting for a response from Dell, let's see if they have any suggestions.

Vistalizator doesn't work. When you start setup it says Windows 8 users don't need it and then closes.

Pedro Espindola