Sign in to follow this  
idoleo2001

TOPCAT configuration for PMDG 738NGX!

All good now, very much appreciate your work. Thanks Luke.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi Luke,

thanks for your work. I'd like to convert the data from lbs to kg since I'm flying in Europe.

I know that the entries in [CONFIGURATION] need to be changed, but what other values are affected?

What is the format of these files, and which numbers are meant to be weight numbers?

I'd guess the first number in each entry under [MAC_LIMITS_ZFW], [MAC_LIMITS_TOW], [MAC_LIMITS_LDW] and [CARGO_STATIONS]. What about [PASSENGER_STATIONS]?

thanks

Dave

Dave P. Woycek

Thanks for letting me know Julian, I've re-archived the ZIP file and updated the link in my original post. Can you try it now and let me know if there's still an issue? It appears to be working fine from my end.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59841802/TOPCAT_Configs_PMDG_NGX.zip

Hi.

Do I need to drop these files in TOPCAT Config folder? If so what aircraft in Aircraft Config in window I have to select, same as stated above - PMDG Mixed Class Wingl NGX for mixed class? 

Thx 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

bpcw001, on 08 Apr 2013 - 23:13, said:

Hi Luke,

thanks for your work. I'd like to convert the data from lbs to kg since I'm flying in Europe.

I know that the entries in [CONFIGURATION] need to be changed, but what other values are affected?

What is the format of these files, and which numbers are meant to be weight numbers?

I'd guess the first number in each entry under [MAC_LIMITS_ZFW], [MAC_LIMITS_TOW], [MAC_LIMITS_LDW] and [CARGO_STATIONS]. What about [PASSENGER_STATIONS]?

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

The only sections you'll need to convert for my config files to work in KG's are the [CONFIGURATION] section, the [CARGO_STATIONS] section and the first value in each of the [MAC_LIMITS...] sections. To be honest you could probably just have TOPCAT convert the values for you by selecting Metric as the units of measurement when creating the Aircraft in TOPCAT, this would probably be sufficient enough. But if your OCD like me then you'll probably wan't to do it all yourself manually - as I probably will at some point too!

Also regarding my numbers in the [MAC_LIMITS_...] sections, I just took these from Art's (props to him!) previous post as they seemed to work fine and I haven't really had a chance to delve into all those calculations (not sure I will even bother until PFPX comes out). However you are correct, the first value in these sections is the weight, and I'm guessing the following values are the CG offsets?? I could be wrong though.

For PAX payload calculations TOPCAT uses the number of PAX per station multiplied by your PAX weight value in the options menu - this is why I noted initially to set your PAX weight to 175lbs and only load adults, as all NGX passengers weigh the same. Here's a bit of a visual explanation of the PAX value lines from the 738 Two Class config I posted earlier in text:

(note that anything following // on a line is not seen by TOPCAT)

PASSENGER_STATIONS]

station.0=48;16.1;Fwd Cabin;1             // 8400 / 29.63% (25% of station load is First Class)

station.1=60;-5.9;Mid Cabin;2               // 10500 / 37.04%

station.2=54;-28.1;Aft Cabin;3               // 9450 / 33.33%

// 30450 (total pax load)

Here the values in red are what TOPCAT is reading - i.e. max load in station.0 is 48 PAX - the value following the // in blue is how much a full station load of PAX weighs - i.e. 48pax = 8400lbs - and the percentage after that is how much of the total PAX payload - not including cargo load - that station can hold.

I've also included a percentage for the two class configurations so you can determine how much of the first station you need to load into the first class cabin within the aircraft itself - i.e. in the case of a full station.0 load of 48pax, 25% of them will be in first class = 12pax in first class. If there were 40pax in station.0 you would load 25% of 40pax = 10pax in first class. You can determine how TOPCAT is distributing the passengers by clicking the Payload Distribution button in the W&B page.

Hope this helps, If you have any other questions let me know!

speedbird144, on 09 Apr 2013 - 05:53, said:

Hi.

Do I need to drop these files in TOPCAT Config folder? If so what aircraft in Aircraft Config in window I have to select, same as stated above - PMDG Mixed Class Wingl NGX for mixed class?

Thx

Hi Edward,

Yep just drop all the .txt files into your TOPCAT\Configurations directory with all the others and the next time you load TOPCAT it will process them when initially loading.

As per my previous post when selecting the Aircraft model in TOPCAT - choose type Boeing 737-700 for the -600 and -700 configurations, and Boeing 737-800 for the -800 and -900 configurations. They will appear in the aircraft configuration dropdown as NGX73# Single/Two Class

--------------

Hope I haven't overly bored anyone with my excessive ranting!

Luke Cerff

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Hi Edward,

Yep just drop all the .txt files into your TOPCAT\Configurations directory with all the others and the next time you load TOPCAT it will process them when initially loading.

As per my previous post when selecting the Aircraft model in TOPCAT - choose type Boeing 737-700 for the -600 and -700 configurations, and Boeing 737-800 for the -800 and -900 configurations. They will appear in the aircraft configuration dropdown as NGX73# Single/Two Class

Hello back. 

For some reason TOPCAT allows me to put 30 pax in first class, but FMS has 12 pax capacity only for two class config 737-800. 

:huh:

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

luke

thanks for your efforts .... they are pretty much spot on for the 739 i have tried - trim & speeds!

i did note in the 739/2 class flie that there's a wee correction needed to:

[GENERAL]
Aircraft=NGX739 Single Two Class

for now, cheers

john martin

Hi Dave,

The only sections you'll need to convert for my config files to work in KG's are the [CONFIGURATION] section, the [CARGO_STATIONS] section and the first value in each of the [MAC_LIMITS...] sections. To be honest you could probably just have TOPCAT convert the values for you by selecting Metric as the units of measurement when creating the Aircraft in TOPCAT, this would probably be sufficient enough. But if your OCD like me then you'll probably wan't to do it all yourself manually - as I probably will at some point too!

Also regarding my numbers in the [MAC_LIMITS_...] sections, I just took these from Art's (props to him!) previous post as they seemed to work fine and I haven't really had a chance to delve into all those calculations (not sure I will even bother until PFPX comes out). However you are correct, the first value in these sections is the weight, and I'm guessing the following values are the CG offsets?? I could be wrong though.

For PAX payload calculations TOPCAT uses the number of PAX per station multiplied by your PAX weight value in the options menu - this is why I noted initially to set your PAX weight to 175lbs and only load adults, as all NGX passengers weigh the same. Here's a bit of a visual explanation of the PAX value lines from the 738 Two Class config I posted earlier in text:

(note that anything following // on a line is not seen by TOPCAT)

PASSENGER_STATIONS]

station.0=48;16.1;Fwd Cabin;1             // 8400 / 29.63% (25% of station load is First Class)

station.1=60;-5.9;Mid Cabin;2               // 10500 / 37.04%

station.2=54;-28.1;Aft Cabin;3               // 9450 / 33.33%

// 30450 (total pax load)

Here the values in red are what TOPCAT is reading - i.e. max load in station.0 is 48 PAX - the value following the // in blue is how much a full station load of PAX weighs - i.e. 48pax = 8400lbs - and the percentage after that is how much of the total PAX payload - not including cargo load - that station can hold.

I've also included a percentage for the two class configurations so you can determine how much of the first station you need to load into the first class cabin within the aircraft itself - i.e. in the case of a full station.0 load of 48pax, 25% of them will be in first class = 12pax in first class. If there were 40pax in station.0 you would load 25% of 40pax = 10pax in first class. You can determine how TOPCAT is distributing the passengers by clicking the Payload Distribution button in the W&B page.

Hope this helps, If you have any other questions let me know!

Hi Edward,

--------------

Hope I haven't overly bored anyone with my excessive ranting!

Thanks for your explanations!

Dave

Dave P. Woycek

Hi Edward,

Hello back. 

For some reason TOPCAT allows me to put 30 pax in first class, but FMS has 12 pax capacity only for two class config 737-800. 

:huh:

Hi Edward,

Although the two class NGX models have a two 'classes' to load in the FMC (first class and coach class), the actual aircraft configuration within FSX itself has three passenger 'stations' that it distributes the load between. This is why I included a '% of station load is first class' notation on my two class config files, it will help you determine how many of the station.0 pax you need to load into first class from the FMC, (see red notation below):

PASSENGER_STATIONS]

station.0=48;16.1;Fwd Cabin;1             // 8400           / 29.63%          (25% of station load is First Class)

You may wan't to read over my previous reply to Dave if you haven't done so already, I've tried my best to explain it there.

Regarding your figure of 30 pax though, not sure why TOPCAT is only allowing you to only load 30 in the first station as the max pax load for that station in the 738 two class config is definitely 48pax. Just make sure you're definitely selecting the NGX738 Two Class configuration when creating the aircraft in TOPCAT, and that you haven't changed any of the default values in that menu.

luke

thanks for your efforts .... they are pretty much spot on for the 739 i have tried - trim & speeds!

i did note in the 739/2 class flie that there's a wee correction needed to:

[GENERAL]

Aircraft=NGX739 Single Two Class

Thanks for pointing that out John! I've updated that config file now and re-archived the zip folder. Let me know if the download link has broken since doing so...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59841802/TOPCAT_Configs_PMDG_NGX.zip

Luke Cerff

luke

still downloads okay from the dropbox ... & the 739 continues to give great data !!

for now, cheers

john martin

PASSENGER_STATIONS]
station.0=48;16.1;Fwd Cabin;1             // 8400       / 29.63% (25% of station load is First Class)
station.1=60;-5.9;Mid Cabin;2               // 10500     / 37.04%
station.2=54;-28.1;Aft Cabin;3              // 9450      / 33.33%
                                                             // 30450 (total pax load)   <<<< WRONG!  :wacko: 

Hey everyone,

It's been brought to my attention that the total pax load I've noted on my 737-800 Two class configuration is incorrect. It reads 30450 lbs, but should be 28350 lbs (8400 + 10500 + 9450). I accidentally copied the single class pax load value into my notes.

Just thought I'd let you all know in case it was confusing your own calculations. Remember that the value is just a notation in the config file and wouldn't have been effecting TOPCATs actual calculations at all.

Regards,

Luke Cerff

Luke:  Well done!  I was on the right track but I was guessing at the pax and cargo calculations.  I know I had all the other numbers right as they came from the aircraft.cfg.  I like your configs better than mine as they are more accurate and I also have OCD when it comes to this stuff.  Thanks for taking it further.

Hello back. 

Question. I loaded my flight out of VTSP for RWY09. I noticed that TOPCAT N1 setting now doesn't match to NGX FMS.  For the same current temps N1 is different. Even if I tried to bump up a temp into FMS to lower N1 it still did not work. Any idea what was wrong? 

Thx

Luke:  Well done!  I was on the right track but I was guessing at the pax and cargo calculations.  I know I had all the other numbers right as they came from the aircraft.cfg.  I like your configs better than mine as they are more accurate and I also have OCD when it comes to this stuff.  Thanks for taking it further.

Thanks Art, glad to hear your getting good numbers! Your original config was a big help when I was working out my calculations. So thanks to you too!

Hello back. 

Question. I loaded my flight out of VTSP for RWY09. I noticed that TOPCAT N1 setting now doesn't match to NGX FMS.  For the same current temps N1 is different. Even if I tried to bump up a temp into FMS to lower N1 it still did not work. Any idea what was wrong? 

Thx

Hi Edward,

Not sure why your getting different numbers, obviously there will be some discrepancies, the math in my config files isn't perfect, but your results are out by a fair bit.

Are you sure your aircraft setup in FSX matches the configuration file in TOPCAT (same model/cabin layout)?

Did you enter your payload manually into the FMC or export it from within TOPCAT? 

Are you sure all your weights match up across each station according to TOPCATs payload distribution? (Including the Fwd and Aft cargo stations)

I wouldn't mind doing some testing with your flight. If you can export the Loadsheet as a txt file and PM it too me along with your aircraft details that would be great.

Luke Cerff

Thanks Art, glad to hear your getting good numbers! Your original config was a big help when I was working out my calculations. So thanks to you too!

Hi Edward,

Not sure why your getting different numbers, obviously there will be some discrepancies, the math in my config files isn't perfect, but your results are out by a fair bit.

Are you sure your aircraft setup in FSX matches the configuration file in TOPCAT (same model/cabin layout)?

Did you enter your payload manually into the FMC or export it from within TOPCAT? 

Are you sure all your weights match up across each station according to TOPCATs payload distribution? (Including the Fwd and Aft cargo stations)

I wouldn't mind doing some testing with your flight. If you can export the Loadsheet as a txt file and PM it too me along with your aircraft details that would be great.

So far I fly the only airplane 737-800 NGX. I actually use Random option in TOPCAT to load the airplane and distribute payload then I put those numbers in FMS. 

I will try to reproduce this again. Will let you know.