Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Bristol Airport (EGGD) Elevation Problem

Hi all

I've had a problem ever since FS9 whereby my Bristol Airport (and a few others) appear to be sat on a cliff.

The way I understand it is that this is caused by third party mesh (I use FSGlobal 2010) which conflicts with the default terrain data so the end result are these elevated airports.

Until now it never really bothered me but since changing to FSX and upgrading my PC it really annoys me as everything else looks so good, this ruins the effect completely.

Is there any way of solving this issue without removing the mesh product? Like a tool that I can use to flatten a localised area?

Thanks

Martin

Are we talking about the default Bristol or the one from UK2000 for example?

As a user of FS Global, you can access a DVD with correction files in their shop. Those will help in some cases and render the plateau to look more pleasant or disappear completely. Or you pick a scenery editor and add a sort of flatten to the area. Take ADE for example, a free editor, which also allows for shallow terrain transitions.

If you are using the addon airport from UK2000, perhaps an updated version helps or the dev itself can help you with the FS Global compatibility. You can also edit the payware with the mentioned editors, but since their setup is more complex and since some dev actually maintains them, it's worth asking over in the UK2000 forums first.

If you get the plateau-like airports at numerous places, the correction DVD may be the best option. You just enter the ICAO code, it looks up the correction file and installs it. A FSX restart or scenery reload then enables it. But most UK airports should already be fine I guess.

If you stick to freeware levels, always check if there's a fresh file for the airport in the Avsim library. By this, you will get a corrected field elevation and layout. This may sometimes solve the issues one has with default airports.

Thanks that's really helpful. It happens at many airports but this is the main one I'm worried about as I do a lot of my departures and arrivals there as its my home airport.

I will check out that correction DVD you mention.

Thanks!

Is FS Global fully enabled in your scenery library? There should be a lot of entries for the mesh data. Just asking because if it was just installed, but not enabled, you would see a lot of default mesh and, maybe, the errors within.

I have seven entries from FS Global. We may assume that the EUROPE one is the UK thingy.

CoolP

I've ordered the correction DVD now, thanks for your help! And yes I have lots of entries for FSGlobal enabled in the library.

Cheers

Martin

Martin, if you still have problems after following CoolP's advice, then let me know, because I have had a similar problem with UK2000 EGGD which I have now reoslved.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776