Sign in to follow this  

Discovery Wings... getting tired of the same old thing.

I guess by their polls, or whatever, Discovery Wings thinks all anyone wants to see during the "normal operating hours" ;) are shows about fighter jets, the Luftwaffe, Desert Storm, and the same tired 3-minute filler about landing an acrobatic trike or how crazy the SR-71 is.Almost every time I cue up I get grainy black-and-white footage of something including men in trenches...Come on! I know I can program my VCR, and I guess I'm gonna have to... But why oh why aren't there more shows on 737s, flight deck operation, ATC, and so forth? I know there are a few, but really.Ah, just ranting. Guess I'll try to find their site and a schedule. Hmph.Andrew

LOL!I feel for you.Seems like most folks are only interested in things that go mach 2 or kill people.On a similar note have you ever seen the A&E series Behind Closed Doors with Joan Lunden?A few years ago they did a special on Gulfstream, which they still occasionally air, where Joan is given the VIP treatment at GAC including a personal tour and flight aboard a Gulfstream V. They take her up with two of GAC

Hi,I was thinking of ordering the Wings channel.I'm now kind of glad that I didn't. It sounds like The Speed Network. They used to show aircraft shows, albeit the same ones over and over, but then dropped all aviation related programming. No explanation or anything, just gone.Now to pay more money to see the same thing over and over again, I think I'll pass and stick to videos.Perhaps they should dedicate some of their time to broadcasting the FS Show with Gerada and Ratray. That in itself might just be worth the extra nickle. I know it's free already, but it'd be nice to see those guys get some decent production, reporters, etc.KyleCF-AOA

Hmmm....As of now "Wings of the Luftwatte" has been shown 8 times today- same episode- oh- look at that! :-lol It's going to be on all weekend into next week! Yeah, I agree- it is repeat after repeat....Can repeats be repeats?Even better...Can Repeated Repeats that were repeated repeadily be repeats? (And can go on and one anhd on... :-lol )Some shows are interesting- but after wtahcing them in black and white for the 10th time straight... yawn...Jason :-wave

Guest Brent Hebert

I was sorely disappointed with the Discovery Wings channel too. That was the sole reason for me getting a satellite dish. All I saw was the repeat of the same show 3 or 4 times a day. I too wanted to see more shows on commercial aircraft and aviation.Brent Hebert

When I got cable (which is very expensive, since I have 2 sets of premium channels, HBO and Showtime, for a total of $80 per month), I was so excited to learn that I had Discovery Wings. But I have a severe hearing loss, and require captioning when I watch TV or movies. D-Wings does not have captioning on ANY of its shows, which was a ver serious disappointment for me. :(

Guest IanP

When it was broadcast on the UK terrestrial service OnDigital (later ITV Digital, then just plain bankrupt...), it was partnered with a kids' channel, only running from 1800 each day to about 0230. They still managed to broadcast the same programs three times each night.I guess it is just programme making on the cheap to put out another channel for people to subscribe to. It's less than helpful, isn't it. :-(We briefly had another series on BBC1 in the U.K. called "The Air Show", which was worth watching but evidently didn't get good viewing figures as that now appears to be defunct as well. They even did an article on Flight Simulation at one point - I'm still convinced that ex-Avsim staff bod Jean-Luc Neale landed spectacularly short of the runway in that feature. :-hahIan P.:-halo.

hi,Yup repeat after repeat..... dont even mention discovery science, discovery health, discovery times, discovery civilization, and the original discovery channel..... they have a ____ load of repeats showing too.... heck we pay for cable or sattelite we should get quality programming, Discovery science has been showing the same episode of "Beyond the stars" all freaking weak 8 times a day and at night oh boy your talking "beyond the stars" alternating every hour with "mission control". I think the discovery stations such as Discovery wings arent really "manned" or payed attention too as much as the regular discovery channel is. I think its a set it and forget it thing they do at "discovery HQ" sort of like a music playlist on Winamp or something where they make a big list of shows and episodes to show a certain day and then they put it on repeat AKA loop mode. Right now Im watching a repeat of "Air giants" on wings. I think the quality of programming on cable channels had gone down dramatically since a couple days ago. :-(AndrewPS. that was a real long rant ;-).

but hey where getting a brand new show tommorow on Discovery wings "X-planes" :D and no its not that PBS nova episode where Boeing and lockheed compete for the contract. Its too bad their gonna repeat "X planes" for about 2 months before we get a new show. :-(Andrew

Same with Discovery Europe (before that was pulled from the cable here to make room for a 24 hour advertising channel...).Same show 3 or 4 times a day for a month (but luckily on a weekly rotation).And despite that it was still the best channel we had available...

Your point is very well!Robb

I'm certain I have memorized many facts about the A380 just today- watching it for the second time :~P Probably be on once or twice more today- then "Centennial of Flight" comes on :~PJason :-wave :~P

asking about their lack of general aviation programming and so forth. The response?****************Dear Viewer,Thank you for contacting Discovery Channel Networks. In order to quickly respond to your e-mail, we are sending you this automated response.Highlighted below are links to our website that provides information about current programming,shopping, and answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions. * Programming/Scheduling Questions? Go to . . .www.discovery.com and click on "View our TVSchedules" * Shopping for unique products, or looking for availablevideotapes? Go to . . .www.shopping.discovery.com * Frequently Asked Questions? Go to . .http://dsc.discovery.com/utilities/about/tvfaq.htmlEnjoy the Discovery.com Experience!Discovery Channel Viewer Relations***********I have just lost a HUGE amount of respect for this institution.Andrew

Guest enave

How many episodes of the original Wings series were made? There have to be hundreds of those. I still have several on tape somewhere, including some really classic episodes, like the one on the XB-70 and the F-111. Why can't they show them?Your question was about GA though, so I'll stay on topic and ask this: How expensive would it be to send a film crew out to Cessna or Pilatus and just let them film whatever the company lets the film? Surely it wouldn't cost much more than the salaries of the crew.

When writing a letter at any big company these day's, snail mail is the only way to avoid automated responses. I'm currently on a campaign for TV Land to begin running: Tales of The Golden Monkey. Also writting to bring back AirWolf in re-run's on USA, except for season 4 the show is no longer the original at that point.